1977 D Dime Error??

ldmiller

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2013
I found this dime that seems to be blank on the back side, it is very smooth-but if you look closely you can see a faint outline of the image that should be there. Is this an error or did someone intentionally do this? Also on the front of the coin the W in-In God We Trust is cut off a little bit at the edge of the coin. Any info would be Greatly appreciated!! I am new to coin collecting & know nothing about error coins. Thank so much!!!

image-3341906384.jpg

Upvote 0

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! What you have is a beautiful, well not so much, dime that has post mint damage. About the only way that your scenario could happen is if two blanks ended up in the press together and even then the reverse would be completely smooth. The fact that you can see the image says that it is in fact damaged. -IMHO

OP
OP
ldmiller

ldmiller

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2013
Thank you so much! I am new to coin collecting & know very little but I can say I am oh so hooked!!!!

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! What you have is a beautiful, well not so much, dime that has post mint damage. About the only way that your scenario could happen is if two blanks ended up in the press together and even then the reverse would be completely smooth. The fact that you can see the image says that it is in fact damaged. -IMHO

The fact that you can see a slight image in no way suggests damage you could have a severely struck through grease with a faint image of the reverse. A capped die error would be completely blank this is true, but the fact that the coin in question has no upset rim suggest someone grinded it off and you have neither a struck through grease or capped die. Keep looking through rolls, errors and rare coins pop up everywhere, just make sure you do your proper research so you know what it is that you are looking for.

OP
OP
ldmiller

ldmiller

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2013
Thanks Coinguy!! Just starting out & I am finding I have lots to learn! Feels a little overwhelming, knowing so little and all...but I am completely hooked and this gal will keep searching :) thanks for your reply, I appreciate it a lot!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll hear this term pop up quite frequently, I say it is PMD(Which means post-mint damage, in other words, damaged by somebody/something after the coin has already been struck and circulated), I keep all oddball stuff like this too, even if it is PMD, Cool find!

OP
OP
ldmiller

ldmiller

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2013
Thanks for the pmd info buffaloboy!!! I need all the help I can get ;)) I think it's pretty cool as well, I'd like to know its story-why someone would do that but I will settle with just having my first messed up looking coin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions