Loose Halves

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only been huntin for a couple months so don't have much to go off but in my area it's fairly rare that they have any- specifically rolls, I might find $1-5 in loose here and there but the CWR are really hard to come by

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
YES!
I took my monthly to bi-monthly road trip last week. Have been doing this for a few years off and on. Used too only make the trip when I had $3000-$4000 cash in hand as it took that much to buy up all the teller and vault stashes at roughly 35-40 banks that I would hit...

The previous two trips (November then early February) I didn't get nearly as much as normal- this LAST Trip -Last week- Produced a Total of $44.00 in halves, only 2 of which were 40%ers....

This hobby has gotten WAY TOO MUCH publicity lately- and we here ain't helping.... I'll probably never post another brag on finds...
But some will, and this is just one more thing tech is turning in to history.
PEACE

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only been hunting this year and it does seem pretty dry...I think tellers are keeping the good stuff in general. Also, they send them back if no one asks for them...so you just have to be lucky enough to go when they are deposited by someone...lucky enough to avoid a teller who collects...and most likely these two things don't happen simultaneously often.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Luck has a lot to do with this hobby indeed. I do remember the days when you could walk in and the teller may have a roll or two in their safe. At least there would be a chance for silver. Now no one has any halves in my area.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No-- I have been getting a lot of, "oh! somebody just dropped off a whole bunch, how many do you want?!", then they bring out rewrapped MWR dumps...

BoredBankTeller

Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walked into a branch the other day and a teller handed me two halves from his tray. One was a 68 in great shape.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm experiencing this everywhere. I do not do boxes. I only randomly ask banks for CWR rolls or MWR if by chance they have them. Everywhere I go the tellers say more people have been coming in asking for halves. This is 100% due to recent publicity.

This forum is a huge reason for this also.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just hit 6 banks and 1 roll + $5 in loose later all skunks

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another 6 banks and only $4 in loose halves
Skunk

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah cause I bought them all the last time I was there!

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah cause I bought them all the last time I was there!

So today, the teller at the bank when I asked for halves said that 'I just gave them all to a kid from the high school across the street'. It's an all girl high school so:
1) you are a high school girl
2) your daughter/sister helps you CRH
3) you were is disguise
4) everyone, including highschool girls on lunch breaks are asking for halves

Which one was it? Lol

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luck has a lot to do with this hobby indeed. I do remember the days when you could walk in and the teller may have a roll or two in their safe. At least there would be a chance for silver. Now no one has any halves in my area.
same here!!!

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Well today was odd to say the least...

I went in first bank - right behind a young soldier- I noticed just before I got called up that the tellers were scrambling round- got here and I asked for any halves- teller said oh- he's buying some too... He got 10-20 bucks worth and I was turning to walk off- she said we got more- oh, ill take them then. I got $20 too... After thinking about it- I suppose that's what he could afford- and I kind of hope he has some fun and success with them... Spoke as we left and he said he was just getting into the sport. Told him good luck and keep at it- pickings are slim these days with lots of competion... (my two were skunks.)

3 more banks had nothing... Fresh out, lots of folks asking for them... Went in to my last chance bank and asked - teller said yeah, 8 50. Fine I'll take them and broke out a 10 spot.. Oh no $850-- fine, ill take them and broke out the stack... Every roll looks like CW Dumps and I'm very depressed... Check two rolls after I get in the truck - first a skunk, 2nd has 3 (THREE) 40%ers in it. Did not expect that- now I'm Very anxious to see what the next $830 holds...

Going to let my son work these- but still--- sure wish I was the only one in Louisiana that did this...

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score already...3-40% is a nice find these days. It's always hard to buy what appears to be a dump but you don't know whether some rolls with silver got added to the dump or the person who dumped it was not discriminating of 40%.

Last week I had a teller who I know collects offer me two rolls of halves. I halfway-hoped they were solid rolls and he decided to give them to me (they weren't), but there was 1-40% with a dirty rim. So, now I'm thinking he just checks edges, and I might be able to score a little from his rejects.

I hope the rest of your hunt produces more silver. Upload some pictures for us.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, if I were to get skunked on my rolls, I'd sure hope the young man in front of me who is fighting for our country got something good :)
Well today was odd to say the least...

I went in first bank - right behind a young soldier- I noticed just before I got called up that the tellers were scrambling round- got here and I asked for any halves- teller said oh- he's buying some too... He got 10-20 bucks worth and I was turning to walk off- she said we got more- oh, ill take them then. I got $20 too... After thinking about it- I suppose that's what he could afford- and I kind of hope he has some fun and success with them... Spoke as we left and he said he was just getting into the sport. Told him good luck and keep at it- pickings are slim these days with lots of competion... (my two were skunks.)

3 more banks had nothing... Fresh out, lots of folks asking for them... Went in to my last chance bank and asked - teller said yeah, 8 50. Fine I'll take them and broke out a 10 spot.. Oh no $850-- fine, ill take them and broke out the stack... Every roll looks like CW Dumps and I'm very depressed... Check two rolls after I get in the truck - first a skunk, 2nd has 3 (THREE) 40%ers in it. Did not expect that- now I'm Very anxious to see what the next $830 holds...

Going to let my son work these- but still--- sure wish I was the only one in Louisiana that did this...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread