1st & last box of Abes

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 wheats seems like a really rare occurrence. I'd give it one more go. Plus if the little one gets bored you could always get a few rolls of another denomination and plow through those cents alone. Just a thought. I avg. 10 or so wheats and like 20 Canadian

Kilerclown25

Mar 27, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
2 wheats seems like a really rare occurrence. I'd give it one more go. Plus if the little one gets bored you could always get a few rolls of another denomination and plow through those cents alone. Just a thought. I avg. 10 or so wheats and like 20 Canadian

My averages are spot on with this, I'd say give it another shot maybe alone or like thorne said with give the little one some halves or something. Whether you do more or not happy hunting!

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I could tell this was not going to be an optimistic box just from the title "Abes", implying only recent coins; what about Indian-head cents? They ARE out their. Good luck should you ever decide to do cents again.

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I feel kind of lucky, I dropped a whopping $10 at a local bank, found 25 wheaties and 2 Canadian joke pennies...sorry bout your luck, but don't give up...and keep everything pre 82, its 95% copper and worth more than a penny. Gl&hh!

OP
OP
Iamrussell

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is funny how people give up after 1 box... :laughing9:

I only did cents because my daughters have been kinda interested in what I've been doing- I have NO interest in wheats, Indian heads or copper but I did it to have some daddy daughter time and when my daughters said it was kinda boring I knew that was that- nothing against those of you who search cents but I'm only into silver-

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I only did cents because my daughters have been kinda interested in what I've been doing- I have NO interest in wheats, Indian heads or copper but I did it to have some daddy daughter time and when my daughters said it was kinda boring I knew that was that- nothing against those of you who search cents but I'm only into silver-

I see a missed opportunity on a teachable moment. Perseverance? Diligence? etc. 1 Box and done is hardly decent sample size.

You could have hooked her for life on cents. Buy some common wheat cents in bulk and cent rolls from the bank. Salt the rolls with the purchased wheat cents and you set her up for success. Of course, you can slowly wean her from the purchased wheat cents and by that time she is hooked and will be begging you to search some rolls with her.

I would stick with CWRs after getting her hooked. Since you only recently joined, you may not have had the pleasure of reading about Gordon and Tanner's exploits. Go ahead and search for his Wheat Wars. They have a great time sharing in the hunt with a bit of competition.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 box proves nothing, but not every area produces the same results. For example, a "typical" box of cents in my area will produce only 3-4 wheats and 11-12% copper. My best box only produced 8 wheats, and I've even been skunked on a few occasions. I like DD's idea of "salting" the rolls.

minedog

Greenie
Jan 1, 2015
az, ok, wa
Detector(s) used
whites goldmaster 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi,I get a lot more than two wheats per pox closer to 5/10. It depends, never saw an indian head though??? I also save all the pre 82s. Are indian head cents even the same size to fit in the rolls?

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

I found around 160 canadas last cent box, all 1963 Uncirculated including some "Hanging Three" die clash errors.

IMG_20141223_210926.jpg IMG_20141223_211049.jpg IMG_20141223_211036.jpg IMG_20141223_211157.jpg

Coinman123,

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are trying to get a big score, a penny box is probably not the place to find it. If you think about it, 20 wheats are worth what? 50 cents or a dollar? (I know... Occasionally someone finds a 55 doubled die or other key date.) But realistically , cent boxes are pretty much a losing proposition, unless you keep the copper and can make a little profit on it. But I (and many others) search them anyway cuz it's fun to find wheats and this is a hobby first for most of us. If you want to search for profit, try halves or dimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions