First sealed box of Halves

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I've been getting halves from a lot of the banks here in town with very little success. Most were hand rolled and had already been checked. I ordered my first box from my bank last week.I got them Friday and started going through them as soon as I got home. The first three rolls produced 4 keepers, 2-1964 and 1 - 1968 and one 1988 s proof. All together I got 24 silvers with the proof. I'll break it down for you later. How can I tell if the proof is silver or not? and I also got a bicentennial that was gold in color. It was a P mintmark. Is it anything special or just a gold colored coin?

Buying the boxes seems like the way to go!!!

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice box! Check the reeding on the edge of the proof. If it looks solid silver it may be. If a layered look it is clad. The bicentennial is probably just gol plated, nothing special.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold colored bicentennial is plated, nothing more. There were no 1988-s made in silver, so yours is definitely clad. The proof silver were made in 1976 and 1992 to present. They are easy to distinguish, they look just like the 40% halves, only with a mirror like finish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread