CRHing and COUNTERFEIT MONEY! READ THIS GUYS!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey everyone, well, today really sucked! So I'm out doing my normal dumping and picking up and I left my last dump bank which is right next to one of my pickup banks, I go into my pickup bank and hand my friendly vault teller my $2000.00 for 4 boxes, she counts it and then runs it through her little counting machine ( which also determines counterfeit bills, I didn't know that), she looks at me and says "did you just get this money before you came here?" I said yes, I just left BofA from dumping coins, she said 2 of these hundreds are fake and I'm sorry but I can't give them back to you, I have to send them to the Secret Service. Ok, so what do I do now I asked her, she said, like a smart ass ( we kid with each other all the time) "well, first you need to give me $200 more for your halves lol and I'll give you some paper work for the bills that you can take back to BofA and show them, hopefully they will work with you, didn't the girl run your money through the machine before she gave it to you? Nope, she just counted it and gave it to me, I didn't think anything of it, so she told me to ALLWAYS have them run it through the counting machine, it checks for counterfeit bills, again, I didn't know that, I thought it was just a counting machine. So she gave me the papers to take to the bank and show them.....

Ok, so I go back to BofA and show the lead teller the papers and explained that I just left there 20 min ago and went across the street to My pickup bank and that when I gave them the money their machine said 2 of the bills were fake, so she starts going into this long drawn out explanation on how all their money comes from the central vault and they check it there and it is impossible it came from them and Blah blah blah, so I stopped her in the middle of it and said listen, they came from here, I just left here with them, your teller didn't run them through her machine, just counted them out infront of me. So she asks if the other bank called the Secret Service to check and see if the numbers came up as counterfeit, I said no, she gave me this paperwork and put the same in an envelope with the fake bills to send them to them. So the lady says she is going to call them real qwik and verify the bill numbers to see if they come up, 20 min later she comes back and says that they are not on the counterfeit bill list and that there is really nothing they could do about it since I allready left them bank with them:icon_scratch:, WHAT! I said listen, if you are telling me that I am out $200.00 because you gave them to me and I didn't catch them before I left your bank, you are OUT OF YOUR MIND LADY! You can't honestly have expected me to just accept that and walk out of here, right? I am not accepting that, so she said, Well, you'll just have to talk to my manger then, ok, bring her over here then, because this is about to get ugly. So the manger came over ( I see and talk to her everyweek when I dump there and pay my mortage), so the lead teller explains everything to her and at the end of it, I say to her you can't expect me to just loose $200.00 right? Because this lady just told me that if they come back counterfiet I'm out the money, which now is making me $200.00 short to pay my mortage with you guys. In the end she asked if I would wait to see what the Secret Service says, if they are good they will send them back to my pickup bank, if they are bad, then we will make the situation right for you Mr so and so. Now I left out the whole argument that the teller who gave me the money came over and started with me and the manger while we were talking, but, she decided to come over and say how it was imposible and she would have caught the bill and how they feel different and if they called and the #'s weren't on the list they're not fake and blah blah blah, I told her that the other bank showed me all that and that the other bank said that if she had just run the money through the counter all of this could have been avoided.

Moral of the story guys, ALLWAYS HAVE THEM RUN YOUR MONEY THROUGH THE BILL COUNTER before you leave with it, right now I;m out $200.00 in CRHing money and have to wait weeks now to only start another fight again with them if the bills do in fact come back as fakes:BangHead:. Hope this advice helps out some of you! HH, Maverick.

Upvote 0

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that sucks. I knew that the bill counter also was used to check for counterfeits, but I sure am going to remember to ask them to run the cash through the counter every time after reading this!

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never run across a fake $100, but I have some experience with fake $20's. If you are paying attention to the bills as you count them, the fakes have a distinctly different feel.

My wife was passed a fake $20 at pampered chef (or something) party. As soon as I touched it (I was making the deposit for her), I knew it was a fake. She had her friend bring the bill back to her bank and was given a refund no questions asked.

Take your time counting the larger bills and check the security features (the strip, watermarks, the embossing).

Hopefully BoA makes it right. A $200 loss on counterfeit bills should be minor in comparison to a lost customer, but the big banks have a different mindset than the community banks I'm used to working with.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
That sucks! But I've found out the hard way myself that BoA will go out of their way to find a reason to not help you, especially if it'll cost them money. That's why I closed down my almost 20 yr old account there several years ago.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's sucks.. I give you credit though you handled it alot better than I would have.. Hope everything works out for you...

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed that some pickup banks havent been checking my bills for a while now.....

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had a problem with Bank of America,they have even helped us on many fraud charges,maybe it cause I have 8 different accounts with them.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good tips maverick, im sorry that you got dealt a couple of fake bens! Looks like all you can do now is sell off alittle bit of that sweet AG!

RocknRoll

Apr 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have actually thought about this before.....can you ask the teller to check them with that pen thingy you see at retail stores? The thingy they mark your paper money with to see if it is legit? Do banks have those?

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maverick that could happen to any of us and I appreciate the heads up. Sorry for you getting screwed. I don't want to seem like an ass at the bank and usually just watch them count it out on my smaller dumps but I guess I need to be more careful. Hope you get your money back.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
This is my first time dealing with counterfeit money guys, I definetly have learned a lesson, I guess you never really think it is going to happen to you, of course in our hobby we are constantly dealing with large bills on a daily basis ( at least I am) and the thought of a counterfeit bill really never crossed my mind. I am HEAVELY vested with them ( Mortage, Ira's, checking, savings, 401K ect.) and have had this same account since I was 16 ( they were NCNB Bank back then, then changed to NAtions Bank, then BofA), I am hopfull that this branch manager will do the right thing in the end, she sees me everyweek in there, I will keep you guys updated when it all comes to a head in the next few weeks. HH, Maverick.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it could be any bank but, everyone needs to be extra careful with BOA someone bombed them with counterfeit 100$ bills. They are having a huge problem with this for the past couple months. HH

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it could be any bank but, everyone needs to be extra careful with BOA someone bombed them with counterfeit 100$ bills. They are having a huge problem with this for the past couple months. HH

Interesting, must be why this happened to Maverick. I've received a lot of non machine counted money and never had this happen, so seems like normally the possibility is low.

That sucks man!!! let us know how it goes

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The counterfeit detecting pens and bill counters aren't foolproof. The simplest way to make sure you don't get a counterfeit is to insist on only the modern type of bills and check them before you leave. It only takes a moment to check the the watermark and color shifting ink. The security features are there for a reason.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow mav, sorry to hear this man...

Pretty wild, and im going to have to definitely ask them to run money through the counters.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
The counterfeit detecting pens and bill counters aren't foolproof. The simplest way to make sure you don't get a counterfeit is to insist on only the modern type of bills and check them before you leave. It only takes a moment to check the the watermark and color shifting ink. The security features are there for a reason.

They were the modern type bills (2003 and 2008), the vault teller held them up and showed me the face in the side of the bill with the light showing through it, she said they were really good fakes, the difference that she sowed me was the feel of it, which to me was almost hardly noticable to someone who has never touched one before, I'm not really sure I would notice if I got another one again, I didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary about these, except they were in really nice shape. HH, Maverick.

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the bills have the plastic strip embedded, the watermark, and the color shifting ink, then they were indeed very good fakes. The most believable fake $20 I have seen was a $5 bleached out with a $20 printed on it. It had that almost-right feel too it, but was missing everything else.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I just take it for granted that the tellers in CA are paranoid and run the 100's 2-3x through the loomis mega sorter before passing them over.

Sorry it happened to you brother, hope they can resolve it!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread