Amazing what tellers will tell you

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went to one of my local banks and asked for a box of dimes. It's a bank I've gotten boxes from before, but it was the first time dealing with this particular teller. Anyway, when I asked for the box, she said sure no problem. She walks back and starts talking to a lady (I think the vault manager), then comes back empty-handed. Now, I know this isn't going to end well. The vault lady has seen me pick up boxes before and probably didn't want to sell to me. When the teller comes back she flat out asks me if I am looking for silver. Like an idiot, I said yes. Then she tells me that all boxes are picked through for silver and all the silver is pulled out before they reach the bank. It's an obvious lie because I've scored from boxes at this bank before. I just played dumb and acted like she was telling me some great inside info. I'll try this bank in the future, but I'll just hope I don't get this particular teller and hope the vault manager isn't paying attention.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Smart move jasonscoins. If you had said anything - they wouldn't forget you - I would give them a week or so before returning.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ughh those kind of tellers...tattle tellers thats what i call them! I would have said "yeah i look for silver but also other rare non silver dates, give me two boxes!"..

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
To avoid making the same mistake again, you could pick up a dime collection book and put a few coins in it. Then if/when you get asked again you can lie by telling the truth, "Nope, I'm a collector, I have a book I'm working on of different dates and mint marks." You might even discover that you enjoy trying to complete a set. Having a book also comes in handy to be able to show to Tellers as a way to try and get them to help you with a hobby instead of them working harder just to get you some silver.

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Like a politician, I NEVER answer that question directly. I say something like "Basically, my son and I just love sitting together at the kitchen table looking through all the coins. We like to look for certain years or mint marks...or even "error" type coins. It's a lot of fun, and most importantly, I just enjoy the table time with my son." :)

Something like that seems to work every time because it deflects their focus about silver and gets them thinking of father/son/relationship thoughts instead. BTW, I do have a son who helps me so I'm just not feeding a line to the tellers! In fact, sometimes I bring him with me on purpose when I pick up...just so the tellers can meet him. It's a great way to keep the bank employees' focus of this hobby on "people" rather than "silver."

OP
OP
J

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good ideas. I know better than to say I'm looking just for silver, but when asked directly, I guess I couldn't think of a quick non-silver reason. Oh well. On a side note: She was just feeding me a line of bull, I am assuming. I don't think, at least I hope that someone doesn't actually sit and pick through boxes and boxes of coins before sending them off to the bank.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take my dansco album with me, and when they ask why I want pennies, I pull out the book and show them. I have 2 tellers at different banks now who thought it was really cool (because I'm building the collection for my son). Both of those tellers even said they would keep an eye out for the wheat pennies for my collection, and I didn't even ask them to!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Face it, tellers are just sick and tired of us roll hunters, well, not all tellers.
My biggest surprise was when my teller told me, "we are going to have a baby!":tongue3:

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Next time reply with- "Looking for silver, not so much. I'm actually hoping to find an 1982 with no mint mark since those are worth $80-300 depending on condition and grade..."
That will blow thier minds- and shoot thier protect the vault scheme in the hiney...

PEACE

Mkelly315

May 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When tellers ask me what I need boxes for I just say because it's what I need. It's none of their business. I have an account there. I am a customer. One lady told me that I need to have a business account. I told her I did have an ACCOUNT and it's none of her BUSINESS...no just kidding but I want to say that badly.

BuyMyTreasure

Apr 23, 2013
MI
Primary Interest:
Other
Next time reply with- "Looking for silver, not so much. I'm actually hoping to find an 1982 with no mint mark since those are worth $80-300 depending on condition and grade..."
That will blow thier minds- and shoot thier protect the vault scheme in the hiney...

PEACE

I tell them I am looking for 1987 p and d to fill my books and that there is only about 1 silver in 25 boxes so THAT would be a waste of my time

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I when the tellers mention me looking for silver, I just say im looking for errors, proofs, but that silver is real rare to find.

I would never ever mention silver though, and would respond as I said above.

Coin books and doing them with son/daughter/niece/nephew etc works real good too...

Or tell them you are trying to pay your child support :laughing7: lol, I wouldnt reccomend this one.

I think timzim said it best in a similiar thread a while back...
(my paraphrase)

"Keep the tellers like you grow mushrooms. Feed them poo and keep them in the dark"

I like that Business Account remark!! Thats good :P

Last edited:

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I tell them I am looking for different dates, and also for teh new 2013 dimes. I figure there are some in ths box by this time of year. enough said to them.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always say if they wont sell to me they can take my dumps...and i do love dumping on the old nag tellers its the little things in life to enjoy

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always say if they wont sell to me they can take my dumps...and i do love dumping on the old nag tellers its the little things in life to enjoy

Ya, I've got former supply banks and former coin machine dump banks that get my rolls of dimes. I kind of enjoy it when they are obviously unhappy to see me walk in with a heavy tool bag full of rolled coin. Enjoy ladies.

denomi

Apr 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've actually had a weird experience as far as dump vs pick up bank tellers. I use a US Bank as my dump bank and a BofA as my pick up. The following is based on specific branches so of course it doesn't apply to all of them, but my pick up bank, BofA, has been horrible and my dump, US Bank, has been awesome! Every time I try to pick up at BofA they make a big deal about it, sometimes even making me wait 30+ minutes for my boxes, constantly telling me it'll just be a few more minutes.

On the other hand my dump, US Bank, is always happy to see me. I'll bring in a grand of dimes and halves, it'll take them 10-15 minutes running them through, and all they do is smile and joke with me. Most of them know my name, and know that I'm a "collector," most know it's silver, and in fact help me (I've gotten 2 silver quarters and a silver dime that two different tellers gave me at face value).

In my experience, it's best to just be up front and if they are a bank with quality staff they will want to help you because that is their job as a teller. If they are a bank that doesn't really care about their customers, they won't want to. This is a magnitude clearer for me, being a college student who often only has a little more than $100 deposited in each bank (majority of money in coins lol).

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
demoni, your signature advertisement is against TNet's rules. It has to go...

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Signature removed!

Top Member Reactions