Small local branches vs. large multi-state banks?

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many differences and many things that are the same as big branches. It depends on what your looking for. Too much to try and detail every aspect. Give me a little more information on how you search (pick up what they have or order) and the denomination of coin you prefer. Also, are you considering opening an account or just stopping to ask for various coin?

OO

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
There are many differences and many things that are the same as big branches. It depends on what your looking for. Too much to try and detail every aspect. Give me a little more information on how you search (pick up what they have or order) and the denomination of coin you prefer. Also, are you considering opening an account or just stopping to ask for various coin?

OO

I'll start with the last question first... I was not planning on opening any new bank accounts, just stopping by to ask for various denoms.

I've purchased partially-filled coinLOK bags of dimes and nickels from my credit union and a full box of pennies from the bank where my main checking account is. Beyond that, I've only been picking up multiple rolls of nickels, dimes, and pennies from banks that I visit (though I'm concentrating more on just the nickels and dimes right now). I also have been calling banks local to my home and to my office asking if they have any Halves or Silver Dollars. If I order a box of Halves it'll be via one of my 2 accounts.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll start with the last question first... I was not planning on opening any new bank accounts, just stopping by to ask for various denoms.

I've purchased partially-filled coinLOK bags of dimes and nickels from my credit union and a full box of pennies from the bank where my main checking account is. Beyond that, I've only been picking up multiple rolls of nickels, dimes, and pennies from banks that I visit (though I'm concentrating more on just the nickels and dimes right now). I also have been calling banks local to my home and to my office asking if they have any Halves or Silver Dollars. If I order a box of Halves it'll be via one of my 2 accounts.

:coffee2:If that is working for you than keep on doing that. It takes a larger bankroll to order boxes of the larger denoms. I don't call banks to see what coins they have. I just stop in & ask. This keeps them from searching the coins before you get there. Also if you get a lazy teller, they will just tell you no without looking. My only suggestion would be to ask if they have half dollars or old/large dollars (don't say silver dollars). You could also ask if they have any odd looking coins also. I never say the word silver to any tellers.

HH
Gary

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
:coffee2:If that is working for you than keep on doing that. It takes a larger bankroll to order boxes of the larger denoms. I don't call banks to see what coins they have. I just stop in & ask. This keeps them from searching the coins before you get there. Also if you get a lazy teller, they will just tell you no without looking. My only suggestion would be to ask if they have half dollars or old/large dollars (don't say silver dollars). You could also ask if they have any odd looking coins also. I never say the word silver to any tellers.

HH
Gary

Point taken about calling ahead. So far I haven't hit up the mom&pops yet, just the big boys since they're more convenient, but I am going to start going to the locals. I'm just wanting to know if folks have had more success from these small banks and if it differs from what they get from the big chains.

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No major difference from what I've seen. Larger banks are a bit easier to get coin from for me.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area, the mom and pop's don't care about having an account near as much as the larger ones do. I've also had more success with loose halves at the smaller branches. This may not at all be the case in your area.

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
In my area, the mom and pop's don't care about having an account near as much as the larger ones do. I've also had more success with loose halves at the smaller branches. This may not at all be the case in your area.

I was guessing this might be the case but wanted people's input before I came to any conclusions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread