Fees

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many here are paying fees to pick up? And if so how's my boxes are you paying a fee on? I just paid my 1st- got a '67 in the box- while I wait for a new bank to get my orders in next week- this is the closest bank to me and I figure by paying the fee on a box everyone in a while there will save me $$ in gas by driving all over- and if there is silver in the box then its not that bad-
HH

Upvote 0

halfhunter

Jan 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to pay 3.50 per $1000. Not horrible. They tell me its just covering their cost to have it delivered. And living in small town Nebraska, I believe it.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not pay fees. There are tons of banks in my area. If they tried charging a fee I would switch banks without a second thought.

OP
OP
Iamrussell

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not pay fees. There are tons of banks in my area. If they tried charging a fee I would switch banks without a second thought.

Ok but let me ask fish on- are you paying more in gas driving around than paying the fee for a close bank? That's why I decided to pay the fee at this bank- I'm saving the gas and the time to drive around- that's cool that you don't need to pay a fee- so many new people jumped on the CRH wagon that some of the banks around here felt the Need to charge- I'm hoping it'll weed those looking to score a quick buck out and then they will stop charging- or like someone said you pay a couple times then they just stop charging you- what ever I'm ok to pay at 1 bank once in a while since its so close-
How about others

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok but let me ask fish on- are you paying more in gas driving around than paying the fee for a close bank? That's why I decided to pay the fee at this bank- I'm saving the gas and the time to drive around- that's cool that you don't need to pay a fee- so many new people jumped on the CRH wagon that some of the banks around here felt the Need to charge- I'm hoping it'll weed those looking to score a quick buck out and then they will stop charging- or like someone said you pay a couple times then they just stop charging you- what ever I'm ok to pay at 1 bank once in a while since its so close-
How about others

I've never had a bank mention charging a fee. And honestly, my car get's 30 miles to the gallon, so gas isn't too much of an expense for me.

All of my pickup banks are within a 15 minute drive. Usually, the pickup banks are near other places that I go to weekly anyway, so the drive would have occurred anyway. I'm probably not a good example. I live in a large city that has thousands of banks.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about others

For reference, without exaggeration: There are 3 banks within 50 yards of my front door and 7 banks within 100 yards of my front door. My main pickup chain of banks has 30 branches within 15 miles of my house. The only time I travel to CRH is when I feel like going on a road trip, since the teller trays in my neighborhood are not very productive.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't pay fees. The banks I pick up from say they have a contract with the armored car carrier, so adding an extra box or two onto their order makes no difference to the bottom line. All banks are different though.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Russell, I get your point about paying the fee to prevent having to travel further and burn more gas. For me though, it's just the principle of it. I won't pay bank fees for anything. When they change the rules and try to put fees on my accounts I change the account, increase my min balance or whatever I have to do, to avoid the fees. If I have to, I close the account. When I've had banks try to charge me for boxes I just stop ordering from them. If all banks wanted fees to order boxes, I would either quit or just try and pick up rolls, which isn't always possible. I get too many skunks to even think about paying their fees. How would you feel about buying 5 skunk boxes? I'd rather quit and spend the fee money on junk silver. HH

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Considering the fact that I normally go through 4 or 5 boxes without finding a single silver, I would never, ever pay a fee...

OP
OP
Iamrussell

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would you feel about buying 5 skunk boxes? I'd rather quit and spend the fee money on junk silver. HH

My skunk streak was at 20 until today- all of those came from the non-fee boxes where I did some time and gas driving to and from- I'm not going to do it all the time but when I don't want to put 30-50 miles on my car and 1-2 hours of my time - ill gladly pay it because odds of AG are the same in the non-fee box against the fee box and its well worth my time to pay $5 for the 1 hr I would've spent driving and being in traffic-
I never thought I would pay fees for the boxes either but man it was nice to spend 2 min in the car go get it and come home and enjoy the time opening the rolls-
Fish on glad your situation is so well and I hope your banks never charge fees-
HH

OP
OP
Iamrussell

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still looking to hear from someone who is paying the fees?

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't do this if there were fees, unless I knew I'd increase my finds by at least 4x.

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For reference, without exaggeration: There are 3 banks within 50 yards of my front door and 7 banks within 100 yards of my front door. My main pickup chain of banks has 30 branches within 15 miles of my house. The only time I travel to CRH is when I feel like going on a road trip, since the teller trays in my neighborhood are not very productive.

I'm in a very similar situation. I walk to all of my banks... and only drive the 4 minutes when I'm getting a very big haul.

Fees would pretty much lose me as a customer. Heck, I even ask about fees on coins before I open the account.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line is that if paying a fee saves you money, then its worth paying.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in a very similar situation. I walk to all of my banks... and only drive the 4 minutes when I'm getting a very big haul.

Fees would pretty much lose me as a customer. Heck, I even ask about fees on coins before I open the account.

The thing with situations like ours is I think that the banks are that much less likely to charge a fee because of the amount of competition. And even if a few started charging a fee, it's not really a big deal because the four banks next door aren't.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i had to, I'd pay up to $3 for a half dollar box and that's it. I'll never pay to dump though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread