Bought all the halves / went 7-for-7

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me start by saying I'm not a "halves" guy. I do dimes, nickels, and cents, and I'm happy to stick with those for quite a while. I see how often you all seem to strike out on boxes and it just doesn't seem worth it to me for something I'd have to special order every time. Maybe some day I'll break down and order a box, but for now, no thanks.

However, I am gonna start buying whatever is in the teller tray. Especially after today.

I started yesterday, at my normal pick-up bank. Bought the one half she had, and I got excited because it was a bicentennial and I remembered reading on here that those could be 40%. However, it turned out to be a D, not an S. (And before you laugh at me for not being able to tell immediately, just know that I had never handled a 40% half before and wasn't sure how they looked.)

Today I was at my dump bank, waiting a particularly long time for my total as an experienced teller trained a new hire on how to work the machine. I spotted a small stack of halves in the teller tray it looked to my untrained eye like maybe one or two of them might not be clad. I decided I'd buy them and find out.

When the tellers got back they asked me to move down to the next window - I think so the new guy could handle the transaction. I asked if I could buy the half dollars in the next window over, where I had been standing previously. "How many do you need?" asked the older teller. "All of them," I said. She gave me a weird look but picked them up and brought them over.

There were 7 of them, so I paid for them and calmly palmed them. I didn't want to rifle through them while I was standing there, but the rest of my transaction seemed to take forever and finally I found myself glancing down to check the dates.

4 1967's. And 3 1968's. Seven 40%ers out of seven coins.

Well, now I know what they look like :)

And I'm always going to at least buy the halves sitting in the tray of the teller I'm doing business with!

Upvote 0

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice teller tray finds! I've been to many a bank here in the area and I've only spotted one silver coin on a teller tray with my own eyes, and it was a dime.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly I can't claim that I "spotted" them - just that I wasn't 100% sure they were all clad, so I thought I'd take a try.

PS - after seeing what you hauled in in that last box you posted, I might have to reconsider my stance on not doing halves. If only they were all like that ;)

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
i've only seen a silver once (Ithink it was a silver quarter, not a canadian) but the teller had just told me that she keeps any silver she finds, so I didn't even ask. I don't usually buy halves from teller trays either though, but that's mostly because I stick with boxes supplied by tellers that know all about silver.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
You did good jamesandsons.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also spotted a wheat cent that a teller separated from the rest of the cents. This was just yesterday. I asked if I could buy it, but I couldn't because that teller was on her lunch break. I told them to give me a call when she got back, since we were planning on staying in the area for lunch anyway. I miss the call and get a voice message saying that that teller saves coins for another customer, so they wouldn't give it to me. I've been going to this bank for five months, have a good relationship with all the tellers, and I let them know multiple times that I'm interested in coins. For whatever reason, this bank blows. They don't order boxes, they don't save me coins, and they deserve every dump they get from me. :)

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one teller at my main pickup branch - the one who sold me the two silver dimes a few weeks ago - she's definitely on my team. She thinks it's a cool hobby and has mentioned several times that she's keeping an eye out for coins for me. Unless some sort of upper-level crack-down happens, I'm sure I'll score some more silver through her at some point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread