One question away from a banner score... I feel sick

Rocket7

Oct 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was at my dump bank today unloaded $3,000 in halves. I come into this bank at least once a week. The coin machine is in the lobby and I take my receipt to the teller and he says, "whoa, that is a lot of halves, what do you do with them?" I gave the usual coin collecting answer. He then proceeds to recount a story to me I wish he hadn't. He says about a week and a half ago an old lady came in trying to dump coins into the coin machine that kept getting rejected and she brought them to him. He told me the lady had "hundreds of dollars in silver coins" and it was annoying because he had to count them at his desk, which took "forever." I was like "WHAAAT? Like a hundred?" and he said, "no like hundreds... it took forever to count." and I say, "what did you do with it all, did you buy it yourself?" and he says, "well I had it here at the bank for a little while until one of the other tellers called a member who asked to be called when old coins come in." Then I ask him what kinds of coins were they... and he replied dollars, halves, dimes, just everything. Apparently her husband died and she wanted to get rid of them. At this point I'm about going nuts, I am in that cursed bank all the time! And there was $100's of dollars in silver coins waiting for my while I dumped all my skunks!

My big mistake was not asking for half rolls. I always feel stupid asking for half rolls after I dump so much on them, and when I do ask they just say "no we never have rolls, members dump the coins in the coin sorter."

This one will eat at my brain for a long time.

Upvote 0

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that stinks. oh well, I almost invested in bitcoin when it was $5. can't dwell on the could have's

OP
OP
R

Rocket7

Oct 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the same thing... But he didn't seem the type... Maybe though... He didn't offer much, only after I prodded the matter... But a definite possibility

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
as a dumper --it might be his way of yanking yer chain.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
coulda-woulda-shoulda

its all the same, you need to step up to da plate and realize you made a mistake. No looking back only looking forward is the way you need to be in the C''H(R)'N way of life.

OP
OP
R

Rocket7

Oct 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's true. I've learned... I should have developed a better relation so they call me. He offered to take my info and call me if anything else comes in.. I'm moving out of the state in two weeks and declined...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
always take EVERY CHANCE to score , who knows when the chance of a lifetime will hit?

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might not be any mistake at all, even if you asked since you dump there they probably have a better relationship with the other guy. There's always one top CRH dog at every bank

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep just re-read your post. either they were messing with you or you wouldn't have gotten those anyway. Unless I'm wrong and you've got a great relationship with this bank, dumping 6 boxes of halves at least once a week makes for some sour tellers

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't beat yourself up over what you didn't know! Like above, woulda-coulda-shoulda...... ain't gonna get ya no where!
Tuck it in as lesson learned, little wiser now. I KNOW how it bites, but keep moving forward and not looking back!
I sometimes look back; "why didn't I jerk the car into the other lane where the wallet was laying in the street instead of going around the block and it being gone when I got back"?
"why didn't I buy those 10 acres for 25k, that's now worth 10mil"?
"Ya KNEW he was worth 70mil, why'd ya let the barmaid run off with him"?
"yep ,coulda sued everyone and not have to work for a living"!
Don't do it, LIVE, and be happy for where you are at, not where you could have been. Never know what problems, coulda-would-shoulda arose, if you were another place and time. Gratitude is very much under-rated.
ooopppps, ok, sorry, shut-up cat! LOL!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My tellers call everything "silver"

You didn't miss out on anything.

Order a box or two if you are really feeling like you missed out.

OP
OP
R

Rocket7

Oct 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! After sleeping on it and reading your posts I find myself a little wiser. Every time I dumped I should have just asked, "anyone bring any rolls in?" Or something simple to get the convo going... and now that I have learned, I'll be doing that going forward...

maybe i'll make some kind of business card to give to tellers offering to buy old coins they get or something... the wheels are turning....

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned: always ask and you'll never regret what you missed. Sort of like when I walked out of bank instead of picking up coins b/c the teller has been mean in the past, but then wised up, turned around and walked back in, and pulled some pretty good silver finds.

I agree with the others... don't let it eat you up. Doubt it really happened like that. If you knew someone brought in a ton of silver, and you knew silver was valuable (I think everyone does...) then why would you simply give them away? Doubt the teller would have done that....

Last edited:

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he could just be pulling your chain because he knows what you are really doing and just wanted to see your reaction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread