New dime design ideas

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the middle of slogging my way through 8000 boring dimes this weekend, I'm thinking about the fact that this is the only widely circulated coin that hasn't had a significant redesign recently. You can go through quarters (not that many of us do) and sometimes not see the same design twice in a roll. Pennies have the 2009 varieties and the new design from 2010 on. Nickels have the 2004-05 variations and the slightly different Monticello reverse after that. But dimes are just dimes. They deserve a reboot, I think.

So what should go on the back of the new dime?

My two best ideas so far are

-State Birds
-State Flowers

Anyone else have a good idea?

Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
A bust of Liberty on the obverse and then on the reverse should be Liberty stabbing tyranny (similar to what is on the Virginia state seal)

virginia_seal_old-719381-774692.jpg

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
What happen to all the other posts?

I think a neat idea would be to have a perching eagle on one side and the rattlesnake "Don't tread on me" on the other would be neat. Actually that would be neat on even just bullion pieces.

Sincerely, GarouLady

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like a pot leaf on this coin. Thank you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think a neat idea would be to have a perching eagle on one side and the rattlesnake "Don't tread on me" on the other would be neat. Actually that would be neat on even just bullion pieces.

Sincerely, GarouLady

Other posts deleted due to politics...

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

Sincerely, GarouLady

It would be neat, but it would be too political.

There is a copper round like it, there should be a silver one though.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Remove FDR from the dime? Slim chance!
A recently murdered JKF knocked Franklin off the half dollar, other than that is hasn't happened.
(The Ike and SBA dollars were discontinued, they weren't knocked off for some other person.)

The most we could hope for is new reverse.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Me one side and fiddy on the other. It would have a disclaimer on it so people don't think it's a fiddy cent piece.

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Me one side and fiddy on the other. It would have a disclaimer on it so people don't think it's a fiddy cent piece.

That would give new meaning to the term chump change. Just kidding, no road trips to Cali guys.

drcaulfield

Feb 22, 2013
your reject tray
Primary Interest:
Other
IMO coins should only carry the busts of the founding fathers of this nation. The framers of the constitution (not making a political statement either way) but not someone who has come along and *******ized our constitution to appease their constituents. Politics these days is about placing a finger in the wind and seeing which direction will get more votes to secure their egos there is no greatness anymore. No personal risk for ideas. Currency is the foundation of this country and should be used to honor the founding fathers.

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think all coins should be required to have symbols of liberty and the founding ideals of the country only. No real people at all, not even the founding fathers.

philinchio

Dec 24, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's CoinMaster Pro
I think all coins should be required to have symbols of liberty and the founding ideals of the country only. No real people at all, not even the founding fathers.

Agreed. In fact the founding fathers, George Washington especially, disapproved of putting people on coins because they didn't want anyone to be thought of as a king. Somewhere down the road the people running our country forgot that tidbit. If George were around today and saw the quarter he'd have a conniption fit. Besides, I'm sick and tired of seeing the same thing on our coins and currency year after year.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
IMO coins should only carry the busts of the founding fathers of this nation. The framers of the constitution (not making a political statement either way) but not someone who has come along and *******ized our constitution to appease their constituents. Politics these days is about placing a finger in the wind and seeing which direction will get more votes to secure their egos there is no greatness anymore. No personal risk for ideas. Currency is the foundation of this country and should be used to honor the founding fathers.

you don't like the native American dollars?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins and currency used to be an educational tool. When the country was growing, it gave people access to history, basically. If you were in the woods in Kentucky, seeing that coin or bill would tell you about some part or person of American history. It doesn't seem to serve that anymore, just a swinging contest of who's politically important at the time (ie Roosevelt and Kennedy).

Not that those people weren't good presidents or had great accomplishments, but the currency art doesn't have the same focus and impact it used to. Look at the presidential dollars- no one uses them, so they don't bother with them anymore.

I'd rather go back to symbols too. Or at least very dead presidents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread