Crh on the way to have lunch with mom

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started thinking I should maybe try to spend more time with my 69 year old mother after seeing several posts of people losing loved ones lately. So, I thought I would treat her to lunch and .... hit every bank on the 75 mile route to her work place. Scored some halves: 1-1967, 2-1968, 3-1969, and 1-1963. To top off the successful hunt, my mom gave me a 1967 and 1964 from my grandfathers collection as a surprise. So 7-40% and 2-90%.

The Ben is a bit dirty but you know the saying: silver is silver.
image-116506408.jpg
It was a nice hunt and it felt good to do something nice for my mom.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Upvote 0

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good day - got some quality time with Mom and some quality time workin the trenches. Nice score!

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you hit banks that you don't have an account with, do they always give you halves if they have them? Or do they ever ask if you have an account and then refuse to sell to you if you don't? I'm paranoid about that and haven't gone in to any banks where I don't have an account thus far (well, except the ones at grocery stores).

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you hit banks that you don't have an account with, do they always give you halves if they have them? Or do they ever ask if you have an account and then refuse to sell to you if you don't? I'm paranoid about that and haven't gone in to any banks where I don't have an account thus far (well, except the ones at grocery stores).

Ive never been asked about an account if its just loose or a few rolls of halves its when I ask for boxes that I get asked- if you never ask youll never get them

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
95 percent of the time tellers are just happy to get rid of the halves and dont care if you have or dont have an account.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been asked if I have an account, even for loose coins. They wouldn't sell them to me. I couldn't believe it. It varies from bank to bank, but generally most banks are willing to part with at least something.

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Of the 30+ banks that I hit yesterday, three asked if I had an account. First one, I did, and she asked for the number. The second asked, I did, but didn't verify the number. The third, I didn't, and she wouldn't sell them to me and suggested I open an account. It was a smaller regional bank, so I just passed on it. The time filling out paper work and keeping the account active is just not worth it unless I needed another dump/pickup bank. I have had a bank ask if I have an account and I replied that I didn't and they still sold me the halves. I've decided that its pretty cheap to ask and most of them say yes.

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other

Confidence, my friend. I was nervous at first, but got into a rhythm of greeting the greeter, using the teller's name, and striking up a side conversation that distracts them from even thinking about whether you have an account. I've only been asked when they ask if I want to order a box.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
When you hit banks that you don't have an account with, do they always give you halves if they have them?

As others have said, they generally do. However, some banks are really not going to do anything for you without an account. I once went into a bank to change my 20 into smaller bills and they asked for my account number.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions