Whats Your Limit?

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
TAKE POLL ABOVE

It's a fact!
Coinrolling halfs for silver can't last forever. Each day more and more silver is pulled from circulation and none is being added. As the silver supply dwindles hunters like us will begin to receive more skunk boxes.
So whats your limit? When will crhing for silver halves be to complicated, to hard, to expensive (gas)? How many skunks will it take?

Upvote 0

Smithrow1

Aug 2, 2006
I may get skunked by my boxes but people always turn in rolls. Also you never know when your going to hit that Pot of Silver.

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
Ive made it through one Skunk session of 7 boxes straight. Then, all was good
again in the blink of an eye. Getting slower again now... waiting for a pickup, if
there ever will be one :-\

Probably never really quit though. Every day, coins are cashed in from somebodys
collection or estate. And every day, coins that were kept, are given to next generation
and "they" might cash 'em. Not an endless cycle, but plenty to go around for a while
I think.

However, I think the mad rash of CRH'rs at the present, are plundering the stashed silver
from storage fast. Wont be long until we are all searching recycled rejects from all over
the country.

There are persons on this forum that already have looked through 23,000 half dollar coins, in
30 days !!!! Dang thats alot LOL

Anyways, what was the question again ?? Oh... nah, Ill never quit. Just maybe change sources
if it gets up to the double digit skunks.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Just clicked on 10 at random.... I've only been truly skunked once or twice. One of my first boxes had 60+ in it, and everything after that feels like a skunk, though. ;)

Got 21 silvers with 2 being Benji's in the last couple of days, thats enough to keep me going!

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
I think with the coin return machines now being so popular, more silver is getting into circulation now than the last decade!

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
I don't think to many people get $500 halfs boxes every day. The fact is there was aaaaaalot of silver halfs minted from Dec 1794 the first year for the half dollars to 1970. I don't think we will see the end of silver halfs in our life time. With that, I don't think you will ever see a 1794 half in a roll but one can only hope. :'(

ps the pic is from two boxes or so I dont think the end coming any time soon

Attachments

• 102_1030.JPG
    102_1030.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 272
  • 102_1030.JPG
    102_1030.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 269

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not quit!!! I may slow down and change the banks I go to, but quit is not an option!!!

prizm II

Dec 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites prizm II
As long as kids take the parents coin stash to spend, and people break into our homes and steal our coins, the supply will never end.

OP
OP
wheres_wheatie

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
My limit's 10 skunks...
If I can't find one silver out of 10,000 searched. I give up :(
So far I'm on a smelly :-X streak of 4

captain ahab

Jan 4, 2005
colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett
wheres_wheatie said:
My limit's 10 skunks...
If I can't find one silver out of 10,000 searched. I give up :(
So far I'm on a smelly :-X streak of 4

If you quit on 10 the 11th would have been a solid combo of Liberty, Benji and silver kennedy!!! Its OK to admit you're addicted... its the first step ;D

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just did a calculation based on the mintage numbers on pcgs.com.

Over 465,850,000 Franklin halves were produced.

429,509,450 Kennedy halves were produced in 1964.

So, since 1948, over 895,000,000 halves were released into circulation. That's 895 MILLION!!!

Even if only 1% remain in circulation, I'd like to get some of that 8.95 million halves!!!

So, my answer is "NO, there will still be coin roll hunters 20 years from now and they'll be finding silver...not as much, but still worth the effort."

Just my two cents worth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions