brinks sorts out silver now???

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO 12" coil, DD 10" coil, 5.3 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you guys may already know this but I just stopped by a local bank and the teller hands over my halves and states "you arent looking for silver ones are you? Because our brinks sorters now pull all the silver out."

WHAT?!?!?:BangHead:

Anyone else heard this? I am still going through the $200 I got and will post any finds. My box of $500 had no silver, no proofs, no errors.

JMB

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
At one of our banks we stopped at today the head teller was telling us all the tellers there know about the silver and what to look for.
Our last trip there last week we got a 40% from a teller tray....lol

They probably thought silver was made until 1964.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All from Brinks boxes a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• image-3104234362.jpg
    image-3104234362.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 121

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you guys may already know this but I just stopped by a local bank and the teller hands over my halves and states "you arent looking for silver ones are you? Because our brinks sorters now pull all the silver out."

WHAT?!?!?:BangHead:

Anyone else heard this? I am still going through the $200 I got and will post any finds. My box of $500 had no silver, no proofs, no errors.

JMB

:coffee2: They're feeding you a line to discourage you. I get a occasonal Brinks box which will occasional have silver in it. Inf fact my last box had 1 40%. If TimZim says he finds silver in Brinks boxes than you know it is still out there. Just keep searching & you will find it.

HH
Gary

OP
OP
J

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apologies to the veteran CRH here...

I have personally called Brinks when i first started out CRH'ing and spoke with the manager. He said it is illegal for them to pick silver out and they see it all the time going through their hopper when a collection has been dumped and yet the machine just keeps running on. I spoke with the guy for a bit and he seemed very honest and forthcoming so i just go with that. And another thing, i get Brinks boxes every week and still finding silver /shrug

Yeah, guess I just reacted to their lies. 3 out of5 banks yesterday either questioned me or swore no silver would be found. I will be heading back to one today to get the other $300 out of a new box. Unfortunately I did run into another persons dump bank yesterday.... all had "x" on the top of the roll. $500 in halves produced only the 73 proof coin listed above in the thread.

Thanks all for info.
JMB

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, guess I just reacted to their lies. 3 out of5 banks yesterday either questioned me or swore no silver would be found. I will be heading back to one today to get the other $300 out of a new box. Unfortunately I did run into another persons dump bank yesterday.... all had "x" on the top of the roll. $500 in halves produced only the 73 proof coin listed above in the thread.

Thanks all for info.
JMB

I have found silvers in batches that have already been searched by tellers or others. Don't think for a second that just because a teller works at a bank with money all day they know jack about it, they miss silver all the time, especially 40%'s.

Nydus Touch

Jan 9, 2013
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Given the price of silver lately, I doubt anyone up and decide now is the time to start sorting silver on a commercial scale. It is easy for tellers to check plastic rolls at the point of sale, unless you get a sealed box that is...

TheNotoriousA.G.

Apr 29, 2013
Detector(s) used
Hands & Ears
Primary Interest:
Other
Both of my walker finds and my best box ever (14 pieces) were brinks. On the filp side, they do have a lower average find rate than loomis/garda for me.

OP
OP
J

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one proof and a few shiny

Well only got the 73 proof a nice shiny 95 and a decent looking 2006 out of the box of $500.

Thx for all thie input and sorry for a repeat topic.

JMB

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brinks is also going to buy the moon with all the silver they sort.

anordstr

Greenie
May 3, 2013
The guy I sell my gold to told me he has a couple guys who work at a coin sorting facility that come in regularly with coins they've picked through.

TheNotoriousA.G.

Apr 29, 2013
Detector(s) used
Hands & Ears
Primary Interest:
Other
The guy I sell my gold to told me he has a couple guys who work at a coin sorting facility that come in regularly with coins they've picked through.

Guys doing it at the facility for themselves is way different than the facility/carrier doing it as a whole.

That's like saying Bank of America & Chase & Wells Fargo sort silver because you met a few sniping tellers.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I dumped my coins at members credit union and had an extra 40 bucks to spend so I asked for some half rolls. The teller told me that they are not responsible for what I do or don't find. I've been told that before and sure enough all the halves were clad. So that tells me someone is dumping their halves at this credit union. I still use it for a dump. to spend a dollar for dumping 200 bucks works. On the other side of town I have a free dump site. I don't know about culling AG via large corporations but those who cull from the sorting factories, I;m surprised that they don't get fired. I have heard from a co-worker about tellers getting canned for snipping silver from their trays. According to their businesses they are there to work not get silver. Feel somewhat bad for the tellers but makes me wonder if others snipping will be canned too.

Hmmm, something to think about.

Sincerely, GarouLady

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Brinks still produces about 1.7 40% per box for me. They don't sort.

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found 7 silvers out of 1 brinks dime box!!!!!!!!!
maybe they are taking out the clad!!

JimmerUSD

Jul 12, 2013
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
I just found 7 silvers out of 1 brinks dime box!!!!!!!!!
maybe they are taking out the clad!!

Wouldn't that be nice.
You: "Ya I would like to order 300 boxes of dimes, quarters, and halves."
Teller: "Okay?"
You: "Oh ya but they all need to be brinks."

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago, I called the local Brinks facility (Rochester, NY) and asked this question. They do not sort out the silver. They don't allow their employees to sort out the silver and, if caught, the employee would be fired. They don't own the coin, the banks do. They sell the service of sorting, rolling, and delivering the banks coin to where the bank wants it to go. The person I talked to said that there isn't enough silver overall to make it worth their time to sort it out.
Now, I've tried asking the same question of Loomis and have not been able to get any answer. Since HSBC left the area a year ago, the two banks that I deal with have switched to Loomis and my silver finds have gone down drastically. In the last year, I've found two silver quarters, when I'd find one in about every four boxes with Brinks (I do a box a week). Now I get a silver dime in every four or five boxes. When I was getting dimes from Brinks, I typically got one or two silver dimes in each box. Nickels and cents are about the same.

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread