Is there such a thing as a skunnk bank??

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
There is this one bank that lets me order between 10 boxes I found 7 40% and one franklin.... most had nothing in it. Most you could tell were searched cause they were marked. I got all these from the same bank but diffrent branches at 2,3 or 4 boxes at a time. All were yellow rolls and unopened boxes. I went to another bank and got a box and 400 dollars and it was loaded.... same kinda box and yellow rolls and under 10 minutes from were I got all the other boxes.

Then I stopped by another bank. picked up $200 dollars worth in rolls and then to that banks branch and got $70 in rolls. Jackpot! 9 franklins 6 walkers and 10 40%! In under $300!!!!!!

My question is..... Is there any method to the madness!? Or is it all random? I wonder if I should even keep ordering from that bank? Do some banks get them through suppliers that search them? why was I getting rolls with so many marked coins? It looks as though they all came from the same company. They were all in the long flat boxes that are glued shut. How many diffrent companies in an area pack coin?

Could this whole area just be getting dry!?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
thats just it though...... the rolls I got the best yield were from a big bank in a very busy area of a larger city. One box I got was from little town way back in the old town square but it was the same packaging as any other bank and I did very well on that one also. Then there were the ones I ordered. I got squat from them.

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
BigTime,
Here is my understanding of the boxes. Some armored car companies "roll their own" from the coins they pick up at banks and businesses. I am pretty sure Brinks does this in their brown 5x5x2 boxes of clear plastic wrapped halves. The bank I order from gets their coin from another armored car company (United?), and they claim the 5x10x1 boxes of yellow wrapped coin come directly from the Fed. There are twelve Fed (Federal Reserve Bank) districts, and Wisconsin is with Illinois, Iowa, Indiana and Michigan (except U.P.) in the "Chicago" district, served by 2 "offices", one in Chicago and one in Detroit.
I do get all my boxes from the one bank, and return the searched ones to a different bank that uses Brinks. I know from the "vault teller" there is another coin roll hunter that orders from the same bank as I do, but I have no idea where they return their coin.

As far as what goes into the boxes, how they are sorted at the Armored Car compinies and Fed Bank, unless we get a member of this forum who works there to tell us, who knows. Some boxes I get have 30 or more keepers, some boxes have no keepers. I know a lot of folks have great results from loose or hand rolled coins that banks get form customers, but I prefer getting some boxes so I don't have to go to lots of banks and beg for coin. Some of the tellers at banks where you are not a customer are quite rude about selling rolls of coins. In the Chicago area, almost all banks have coin counters that they dump returned coins into (any amount larger than a hand full), so very few banks have rolls of coin that did not come from out of a box avaliable. I have bought a bag from a coin machine once, but got very poor results and never tried again.

Anyway, right now it seems from reading the posts here that those in the Chicago District are not getting good results this year, while those in the New York, Philly and Boston Districts are doing great. I'll just keep getting my boxes every few weeks and hope the Chicago Fed wraps up a bunch of silver soon.

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
5x5x2? is that right? Most that I have seen are in quarter boxes and are like 2x4x10.... and ofcorse the flat ones that are marked $500 and are one roll deep facing up. I have never gotten any plastic rolled halfs.

So am I screwing myself if I get coin from one branch of one bank and return it to another branch of the same bank? Some I got in Wisconsin and returned to their branch in Illinois. Or should I open a diffrent account in a diffrent town? What are the companies in this area that run coin? I could be wrong but I swore I saw a Wells Fargo armored truck outside a M&I bank.

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
My best boxes have all been the 5x5x2 boxes, although they are not in plastic. They have also all been from the same bank, even though I have tried many banks. I have had resonable boxes from other banks, but all my best have been from the same bank and the same 5x5x2 boxes (at about 4 or 5 of their different branches). This bank is not only best for halves, but have been better in all denominations. I might not have stuck with hobby, without this bank.

Cheers,

Searcher

prizm II

Dec 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites prizm II
All my finds come from the $500 boxes. The $500 bags from one bank have produced NOTHING!! I have searched two full bags and one bag with $400 in it all with no keepers. Monday I will pick up my last $500 from this bank.

Attachments

• bag-of-halves.gif
    bag-of-halves.gif
    144.7 KB · Views: 198
  • bag-of-halves.gif
    bag-of-halves.gif
    144.7 KB · Views: 190
OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I guess I have never seen the 5x5x2 boxes. For all the people who think the brown and white rolls pay out I had $400 worth and all I got was 1 franklin and 2 40%. I have done much better with the yellow ones. But certainly better then nothing. I guess I want to figure out some system. I wonder what you all do. It seems as though I am getting alot of searched coins when I go to this bank. even though they are in sealed boxes with the yellow wrappers. if it was once no big deal..... but when it was consistent through $5000 worth of coin its not too cool. I know they are out there.... and they seem to be bunched together. If I have one roll thats loaded you can bet your ass there is more! Is there any coin roll hunters on here from the Beloit WI area??? I ran into one who was getting coin when I was. That was quite a funny story.......

Ohh and did anyone notice this? Younger women who work as tellers are more helpful then the older ones.......I had 3 or 4 older women who after I asked them if they had halfs they wouldn't even let me finish the next question... it was no... no.... we have nothing like that. Maybe I am just more attractive to younger women. :-)

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
I checked one of the empty boxes in my car, it was not 5x5x2, but is closer to 8x8x4. It is square and rolls are stacked 2 high. In brown letters it says "$500" and below that it says "Halves". They are not always good as the 2 I got in the past two days had nothing. Still, I have found way more silver in those types of boxes than any other.

Searcher

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Uh, when I say 5x5x2 or 5x10x1, I mean 5 Rolls of halves by 5 Rolls of halves stacked 2 Rolls deep. Both type of boxes hold 50 Rolls, 1000 halves.

Not really referring to size of the box in inches.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe a lot of the randomness in the boxes is a result of where the coins being searched came from. The small town banks rarely turn in half dollars. Everytime I buy a bag from a coin counting machine I ask how long since it has been there and although they are not sure, I am always told something like the following, "I don't know when the last time we turned one in was, had to be at least a year". or "Not since I started working here."

For some of the larger banks or banks in which there are CRH'ers turning in halves more frequently, the turnover rate is much quicker. These halves all get brought back and rolled. I am not sure if they just roll the bag directly from the bank that it was returned from or if they join a bunch of bags together first (always wondered that). If its just rolling them as they are returned (1 bag at a time) it would explain a lot of the randomness that occurs as the good boxes are the random low occurrence bags turned in only rarely while the skunk boxes are the already searched bags turned in and redistributed frequently.

Note: I have had very little luck on boxes, but a lot of success buying bags directly from coin counting machines. Some places won't sell them to you unless the bag is full, which varies from bank to bank from $100 bags to $2000 bags.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread