Selling Pre-1983 pennies for more than one cent

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I just started looking through pennies and I've separated the -1982 from the 1983-2013 because of the high copper content in the Pre-1983. I know they're worth 2-3 cents a piece but I don't know where to sell them to get that much.

If I knew I could sell the buckets full I have...
If you find it let me know.. ;-)
Wicka

CRHlover

Jul 29, 2013
I just startedCRH amd I have just less than a gallon full lol not worth much to sell right now. I mean maybe like10 buckfor9 dollars worth or something like that but thats probably the best you will get

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I just started looking through pennies and I've separated the -1982 from the 1983-2013 because of the high copper content in the Pre-1983. I know they're worth 2-3 cents a piece but I don't know where to sell them to get that much.

I sell them on eBay...

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
How is that working out for you??

Not to bad actually! I am realistic in the sense that I know I cannot expect to get 2x face through eBay sales but if I can average around a 15% profit margin (about $4 per $15 sold) I'm happy with that.

I go through thousands of cents as it is already looking for wheaties and IH so the way I see it it doesn't take any more time to pull out copper while I am sorting. I sell them in rolls in $15 lots plus $5.80 for small flat rate shipping. Each lot fits snugly in a small flat rate box so its perfect!! Conveniently enough six small flat rate boxes for snugly inside a medium flat rate box so if a buyer wins multiple auctions (3 or more for it to make sense) I charge $14 and combine shipping.

Sales usually wind up around $28-$29 (including the $5.80 for shipping) so after fees and any misc supplies I may have to get occasionally such as tape, I NET between $3.50 - $5.00 depending on the final price. I also will sell as a buy it now price base on the current price of copper. Typically I will sell those at about 90% melt value and include free shipping. I just had a few listed for $28.49 plus free shipping...current melt at the time was about $31 and change.

There are plenty of people who buy copper cents because they don't have time or patience to find it themselves. I now have repeat buyers who bid immediately and/or buy it right away during a fixed price sale.

As I said I am not getting rich doing this but since I search all these coins anyways I may as well get something for it in return! I truly enjoy it and not to mention it adds money to my "buy the wife nice birthday, anniversary and Christmas gift" fund!!!

I could do a little more thorough write up on this I I wasnt typing it all on my phone!!!!
HH!

CRHlover

Jul 29, 2013
Not to bad actually! I am realistic in the sense that I know I cannot expect to get 2x face through eBay sales but if I can average around a 15% profit margin (about $4 per $15 sold) I'm happy with that.

I go through thousands of cents as it is already looking for wheaties and IH so the way I see it it doesn't take any more time to pull out copper while I am sorting. I sell them in rolls in $15 lots plus $5.80 for small flat rate shipping. Each lot fits snugly in a small flat rate box so its perfect!! Conveniently enough six small flat rate boxes for snugly inside a medium flat rate box so if a buyer wins multiple auctions (3 or more for it to make sense) I charge $14 and combine shipping.

Sales usually wind up around $28-$29 (including the $5.80 for shipping) so after fees and any misc supplies I may have to get occasionally such as tape, I NET between $3.50 - $5.00 depending on the final price. I also will sell as a buy it now price base on the current price of copper. Typically I will sell those at about 90% melt value and include free shipping. I just had a few listed for $28.49 plus free shipping...current melt at the time was about $31 and change.

There are plenty of people who buy copper cents because they don't have time or patience to find it themselves. I now have repeat buyers who bid immediately and/or buy it right away during a fixed price sale.

As I said I am not getting rich doing this but since I search all these coins anyways I may as well get something for it in return! I truly enjoy it and not to mention it adds money to my "buy the wife nice birthday, anniversary and Christmas gift" fund!!!

I could do a little more thorough write up on this I I wasnt typing it all on my phone!!!!
HH!

Wow! That's not bad at all. I might have to look into that! It just gives me more money to go CRH with! Also I do basically all pennies so getting alot of copper pennies should be no problem!

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! That's not bad at all. I might have to look into that! It just gives me more money to go CRH with! Also I do basically all pennies so getting alot of copper pennies should be no problem!

The downside if I had to find one is when you sell some and LOSE money! The break even after fees and everything else is about $17.68 or something. I start all auctions at $.01 and do not set a reserve price. I sold one for just over $17 and lost about $.50 on the deal!

Once you establish yourself as someone who has copper cents people return to buy more and bidding gets higher.

HH and good luck!

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not all '82s are copper. Some are zinc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread