Kinda not funny

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walked to the coffee machine to get some hot water for tea this morning. On the way, I ran into our general manager and struck up conversation with him. It was going great until our IT manager walked into the break room.

"Mind if embarrass you?" he asked.

The first thing that popped into my head was that he would be overly-complimentary of the job I've done with building our company websites.

"Do you bank at *** Bank?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Do you bring a lot of coins to that bank? Like, a TON of coins?" he asked.

So I give the general gist of it to the two of them, and all was smiled about and good. But...really? The teller saw that he worked at the same company as me, probably based on his attire, and decided to bring up not only me but the business I perform at the bank. And the IT manager brought it up in front of my boss's boss.

Not cool on a few levels, but I'm definitely not going to say anything about it to the bank. Why? Because I don't want to mess up my relationship with this bank, which has many branches across the city, and who just happen to be my largest pick-up bank across three different branches.

Yeah...that was my morning...

Upvote 0

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You absolutely should talk the the branch manager. Thats BS!!! Your business with them is your business with them. How can you trust that teller, who has access to your very private information, if they are going to talk to you Co-workers and bosses??? The teller should be fired. Period.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may even want to speak to an attorney

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate that. I was dumpiing at ****** bank the other morning and then proceded to go town the street about 5 miles away to another branch of ****** bank. In that bank I filled the coin bag and while the teller was changing the bags somebody walked up behind me in line who I do not like and started to strike up a "friendly" conversation very loudly about how he "just saw me at ****** bank in the next town over with 4 bags of coins" he then asks me why I was at the other branch dumping more... I was :censored: off that he would bring up that conversation but I was even more upset on the fact that he knew I was at the other bank, he claims he saw me walk in and walk out, mind you that this is a 20-minuite dump... I am beginning to think this dude is :censored:... :/

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You absolutely should talk the the branch manager. Thats BS!!! Your business with them is your business with them. How can you trust that teller, who has access to your very private information, if they are going to talk to you Co-workers and bosses??? The teller should be fired. Period.

I don't know how, but I've found myself in awkward positions like this twice now this year. Part of me wants to go this route. The other part of me wants to forget about it, live and let live, and keep marching forward with my silver stacking. I sure would appreciate more input from more of you guys.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is your personal business dealings that you conduct with the bank. Would it be ok if they told your boss if you overdrafted your account? or what your mortgage balance was? Your depositing of large amounts of coinage at the bank is another confidential part of your relationship with that trusted financial institution. The teller has no right to speak about you or how you conduct your business with them with ANYONE ELSE nevermind people you work with?!?

What if this causes you some type of issues in the workplace? Maybe your bosses now think you are some type of weirdo because of this situation - he already thought it was going to embarrass you - so that clearly shows how he feels about it.

Another aspect is they basically told other people you work with that you keep large sums of coin (and cash) on you often - opening you up to a number of bad things!!!

If you have now had this type of issue twice this year then clearly you should do something about it! I'm suprised you aren't angry/upset about this - I would be STEAMING (and as I type this I am angry FOR YOU!).

Good Luck - and it will be interesting to see how others react.

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other awkward situation wasn't bank-related, but work-related. We had my son in June, and the benefits coordinator at our company gave me incorrect info about my FMLA leave. She said it would be paid for up to four weeks. I confirmed this with her months before my son was born. Then when he was born, she gave more incorrect information about how I wasted vacation days because I used them in conjunction with paternity leave. I requested that her boss come in and give us the final word on this. She heard the whole thing, corrected her that day, fired her the next day, and gave me three weeks of paid time off for the confusion.
I felt bad for that too, even though she obviously made a big mistake that caused me quite a bit of stress during an already stressful time. This is a similar situation. The teller made a big mistake, and it is up to me to make it right. I don't want to get the guy in trouble, but like you said, what is to stop this same teller from making even more of my bank business public.

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate the idea of getting anybody in trouble, but I'd be very concerned about this situation too. In my opinion, asking customer Y if he/she knows customer X because they obviously work at the same place? Fine. Although some people might even have a problem with that - the fact that I have an account at a certain bank is nobody's business but my own. But getting into specifics about one's banking transactions? Not cool at all.

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the response James. I'd like a few more responses to help me determine whether or not I should let this go or not. In the meantime, what do you guys (James and Joe) think would be a good course of action? Joe - I know you said I should consider talking to the branch manager or an attorney. How far should I take it if I decide that is the route to go? Should I get my IT manager to write out what happened so I have documented proof?

Last edited:

drewbaccas

Mar 8, 2013
Stay away from lawyers. I have never seen any results from the courts. I think this was only gossip and ment to be harmless. If you know who was the culprit just ask them nicely to not share that info on your business again. If it happens again certainly take this up with the bosses at the bank.

Drewbaccas

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes I have tellers ask me what school I go to... I usually lie about the school and carry on. ( so they don't call school)

One time a teller asked me the school and what I did with the coins. after I left she preceded to call the school and ask her if I go there...

When I came back to the bank a couple days later she was like you don't go to this school and I told her that I couldn't tell her what school I go to because she would call and tell them. She threatened to call the police and I told her that I don't have time for this bull $hot and that I was a collector, and that I'm leaving because she disrespectful and she has no right to know what school I go to. I was yelling that I was going to call and tell her boss and then stormed out

This was bout a year ago

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
She started yelling at me and cursed 2ce and that's why I yelled to tell her managers

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To talk about another customer, about a customer, is highly unethical in business, period.
To disclose business interactions, YEAH, that needs to be brought to the attention of the bank manager.

If it were me, the convo would go something like; "I was floored when my boss/it man starting questioning me about my personal bank business, because a busybody teller felt compelled to discuss my private business transactions with another customer, who just happened to be one of my co-workers. IS THIS NORMAL BANK PROCEDURE? I'm starting to feel, my private business with you all, is NOT private. If she were a healthcare worker, that conversation would be ILLEGAL! What should I do, to be assured my private business with you, remains private"?

I'd say that, just to see the look on his/her face. Of course I would be dressed to the nines, dripping in bling, etc.......
not there in my bike shorts with no make-up.
In business you NEVER discuss one customer with another on private matters.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeking an attorney is premature and probably unnecessary. I typed in anger lol! However this gossiping teller created an uncomfortable situation for you and Im sure completely broke company policy. Im usually the type to give benefit of the doubt and forgive people but this isnt something that can be just brushed under the rug.

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Pat on this one... Dress nicely and have a "friendly" conversation with the bank manager.

Ask about their privacy policies. Tell them your concerns and ask if they think you need to contact an attorney, the GAO, FDIC, or Federal Reserve?

When you demonstrate that you know who has oversight authority of their activities, you will have thier undivided attention.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/supmanual/cch/consumer.pdf

Privacy Rule Handbook

Banks like any financial entity have a fiduciary responsibility to maintain your money and privacy - period.

Even if the government wants your financial records http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/supmanual/cch/priv.pdf

“nonpublic personal information” to mean “personally identifiable financial information” (which term is not defined in the Act) that is provided by a consumer to a financial institution, results from any transaction with the consumer or any service performed for the consumer, or is otherwise obtained by the financial institution.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/press/boardacts/2000/20000222/attachment.pdf

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes I have tellers ask me what school I go to... I usually lie about the school and carry on. ( so they don't call school)

One time a teller asked me the school and what I did with the coins. after I left she preceded to call the school and ask her if I go there...

When I came back to the bank a couple days later she was like you don't go to this school and I told her that I couldn't tell her what school I go to because she would call and tell them. She threatened to call the police and I told her that I don't have time for this bull $hot and that I was a collector, and that I'm leaving because she disrespectful and she has no right to know what school I go to. I was yelling that I was going to call and tell her boss and then stormed out

This was bout a year ago

Why would a bank care what school you go to? and why would they call the school?

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Why would a bank care what school you go to? and why would they call the school?
I've had conversations about what school i go to with a bank teller, but then again... i live in a super small town, simply "Does (enter name) still teach?" ect. ect.
No reason they should call the school though
"Hello, (Student Name,) is playing with to many coins! Detention or extra homework!
hehe.
Wicka

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Maybe to check and make sure they aren't playing hooky? Lol. :)

I'm with Wicka: they want to inform the school of all the coins D1MES_101 is playing with, haha.

:laughing7:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I walked to the coffee machine to get some hot water for tea this morning. On the way, I ran into our general manager and struck up conversation with him. It was going great until our IT manager walked into the break room.

"Mind if embarrass you?" he asked.

The first thing that popped into my head was that he would be overly-complimentary of the job I've done with building our company websites.

"Do you bank at *** Bank?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Do you bring a lot of coins to that bank? Like, a TON of coins?" he asked.

So I give the general gist of it to the two of them, and all was smiled about and good. But...really? The teller saw that he worked at the same company as me, probably based on his attire, and decided to bring up not only me but the business I perform at the bank. And the IT manager brought it up in front of my boss's boss.

Not cool on a few levels, but I'm definitely not going to say anything about it to the bank. Why? Because I don't want to mess up my relationship with this bank, which has many branches across the city, and who just happen to be my largest pick-up bank across three different branches.

Yeah...that was my morning...

Carry a sock full of nickels into the office.

Get IT manager alone.

Beat in the face (senselessly) with said sock of nickels.

Inform him to mind his own damn business.

Drive to bank.

Talk to bank manager over privacy concerns.

Pick out the snitch from the teller line up.

Carry behind bank and 'inform them' of your privacy concerns, via nickel sock.

Drive home, and don't worry about your private info getting out!

:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions