Boxes just aging on the shelf

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Got two boxes of dimes this Tuesday, and they both had an inspection date stamp of April 10, 2013. That's 4-months old sitting on the shelf somewhere, surely not the banks. The results were about the same 1-3 each. Has anyone ever received a box dated more than 4- months old, and were the results any better than a box just packaged last week? Anything really older, I.e. 1-2 years ago?

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Find new banks that have just opened. One of my best dime banks was a Mercantile bank. They had undergone expansion and opened a number of new branches. Befriending the head teller, I learned that they were required by corporate to have a set stock regardless of their needs. I witnessed a wall of dime boxes in their vault when I was picking up half boxes. The idea was that they were to cater to business customers and would need the change. 2 years of busting the dime wall down and they eventually closed the branch. Other than me picking up coin, I don't think I saw another customer there in 2 years time.

The dates on the boxes were about 2-5 years old. The results weren't any different. But it was a steady supply and they were right near the beach.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was easily pulling 8+ oz of silver a month out of half dollars earlier this year. Past 3 months its been a struggle to get 2-3 oz.

At one of my dump banks a teller told me they had a box of halves someone ordered n never picked up. He said it was a few months old. The box had about 4 silvers in it. Which wasn't uncommon a few months ago.

A

Ag_Forager

My best box of halves (5-90%, 6-40%) had a date stamp that was three months old.

But I'm convinced that unless you have a box that's more than 2-3 years old, it probably doesn't matter much. Sometimes you have a good box, and sometimes you don't.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years back, before roll hunting exploded, I found a 6 year old box. 2 Walkers, 4 Franklins, 8 40% according to my charts. I also picked up a nearly 20 year old box earlier this year. That had a Walker and 5 40%.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years back, before roll hunting exploded, I found a 6 year old box. 2 Walkers, 4 Franklins, 8 40% according to my charts. I also picked up a nearly 20 year old box earlier this year. That had a Walker and 5 40%.

Almost a 20 year old box? Cool did you take a picture? Lol

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost a 20 year old box? Cool did you take a picture? Lol
It was dropped off, seal intact, 40% ender showing when I opened it.

20130307_145436_zpsb9fac05c.jpg~original

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats crazy that it yielded only that few AG

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions