60%

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Box # 26 of halves for the year had an incredibly high number of these "BAU" 96Ds. Yes, on the order of 60%; or 600 from a box of 1000 coins. Where are they all coming from ? It's as if they are being freshly minted. How else would you have that many eleven year old coins that have somehow escaped the ravages of time ?

But as I learned at a local coin show last month, the gray sheet only says they're worth $11 a roll. Clearly not worth the time to roll them; to sell.

Despite the "sunburn" I got from looking at so many of these BAUs yesterday ;D , there were four keepers:

one Franklin (51S), two 67s and a 68D.

Picking up a new box today.

Upvote 0

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Heck I got an entire box of BU halves not too long ago. Don't exactly recall the date.

I picked out a couple of rolls of the very best (almost proof), but then eventually just turned them in for cash.

If it is not a silver, proof or error I am not interested. But then that is just my preference.
:)

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
If I took out every bicentenial I found I would be broke and not have any money to get halfs...... seems like every roll has 2 or 3 in there. Have you ever noticed coins that seem like they are a little too shiney and seem like they are polished? I got a couple real nice 89 d and they seem like they are polished. Its hard to tell too because they were apparetnly nice coins to begin with so I cant see if there are any marks with polish marks over them.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
When they grade coins, they are put under a fairly powerful microscope. I doubt that even a 30x loupe would show the marks that would knock a coin down from BU to AU.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions