1941s huge error?

Tomfromnj

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure the only reason I think it is is because the hairline through the gouge if you look Is perfect in there. I would think if some one pressed or cut it out somehow that hairline would not be there image.jpg

Upvote 0

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Tom - I'm definitely not an expert, but that may be a 'struck-through' error. It doesn't really look like PMD to me. I'm assuming there's no deformation on the back?

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone put it on a grinder.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, what you have is what is known as a "lamination" error. It occurs when the coin is struck with foreign material on the planchet, leaving an imprint where the material is. Since it is such a large lamination error, I would estimate it to be worth somewhere in the $20 range, but I really don't know error prices. Nice find man!

CC

OP
OP
T

Tomfromnj

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom - I'm definitely not an expert, but that may be a 'struck-through' error. It doesn't really look like PMD to me. I'm assuming there's no deformation on the back?

No it's perfect on the back. Def not a grinder Tim cause you wouldn't be able to perfectly make out the hairline and the I in liberty

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretfy fantastic error, Sir! I'm still pretty sure it's a lamination error. Nice find for face value. And it's definitely not a grinder.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find, I wouldn't have even thought to keep that one. my first inclination would've been pmd, but I think the other posters on here are right

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, what you have is what is known as a "lamination" error. It occurs when the coin is struck with foreign material on the planchet, leaving an imprint where the material is. Since it is such a large lamination error, I would estimate it to be worth somewhere in the $20 range, but I really don't know error prices. Nice find man!

CC

It does appear to be a lam. Unfortunately your definition is incorrect. It isn't caused by foreign material. It is simply a poorly formed planchet. What you described is a strike through.

OP
OP
T

Tomfromnj

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does appear to be a lam. Unfortunately your definition is incorrect. It isn't caused by foreign material. It is simply a poorly formed planchet. What you described is a strike through.

And what do u think as far as value. Just trying to get a round a bout to see if its worth sending it for grading.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lams are actually not that uncommon. It won't carry much of a premium. Definitely wouldn't spend money sending it to an attributor. Would cost more than the value of the coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread