Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All part of the game, tellers are crhunters full-time!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Train yourself to be happy for them.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually had a head teller do this to me obnoxiously the other day. I asked for halves when I was in a rush at a bank. The one teller says: "I have $2.50 worth, let me check what the drive through has". With that the head teller goes to the drive through and comes back and says: "they have $14 worth and this teller has $2 worth" (about the original teller as the head teller is putting one off to the side. The original teller then says: "I had $2.50 worth". The head teller then says: "I'm buying this one because it is silver. It's 40% silver so I want that one" and then they sell me the rest. I don't have an account at this bank and I was running late and quite frankly I was absolutely in shock at the poor customer service of this swarmy head teller. I've been letting this exchange stew in my head for a few days.

On the one had, it was a single 40%'er a day after I had a box with 49 silvers in it, so in the grand scheme of things it is of no consequence. On the other hand, at this point it isn't even about the silver. It is about this dude having some kind of power trip and overtly putting his desires ahead of serving a customer, while directly saying as much. This dude was out of hand. Since that day I have gone to a different branch of the same bank and secured the contact info of the regional manager for this bank. I am seriously considering making that the most expensive 40% that teller has ever purchased. I am all for tellers sniping silver. But for a head teller to snipe silver out of a different tellers tray right after that teller said he was going to give it to a customer is crossing the line. Decisions, decisions.......

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually had a head teller do this to me obnoxiously the other day. I asked for halves when I was in a rush at a bank. The one teller says: "I have $2.50 worth, let me check what the drive through has". With that the head teller goes to the drive through and comes back and says: "they have $14 worth and this teller has $2 worth" (about the original teller as the head teller is putting one off to the side. The original teller then says: "I had $2.50 worth". The head teller then says: "I'm buying this one because it is silver. It's 40% silver so I want that one" and then they sell me the rest. I don't have an account at this bank and I was running late and quite frankly I was absolutely in shock at the poor customer service of this swarmy head teller. I've been letting this exchange stew in my head for a few days.

On the one had, it was a single 40%'er a day after I had a box with 49 silvers in it, so in the grand scheme of things it is of no consequence. On the other hand, at this point it isn't even about the silver. It is about this dude having some kind of power trip and overtly putting his desires ahead of serving a customer, while directly saying as much. This dude was out of hand. Since that day I have gone to a different branch of the same bank and secured the contact info of the regional manager for this bank. I am seriously considering making that the most expensive 40% that teller has ever purchased. I am all for tellers sniping silver. But for a head teller to snipe silver out of a different tellers tray right after that teller said he was going to give it to a customer is crossing the line. Decisions, decisions.......

It's $3, I would let it go

I was at a bank - bag change - many silvers in the bottom. "Can I buy that bag?" NOPE!!! "Seriously?" NOPE - Bank policy we don't sell the bags.

I was PISSED!! But I'm not about to make a big deal over it. COnsider the consequences:

1. Teller gets in trouble - tells everyone - you lose that bank
2. Tellers transfer around - you lose other banks
3. Your name gets out there as the guy who go so and so in trouble/fired and next thing you know the branch across town wont sell you boxes.
4. You have much more to lose than you have to gain.

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. Swallow the hate, it will bring you focus... HH

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's $3, I would let it go

I was at a bank - bag change - many silvers in the bottom. "Can I buy that bag?" NOPE!!! "Seriously?" NOPE - Bank policy we don't sell the bags.

I was PISSED!! But I'm not about to make a big deal over it. COnsider the consequences:

1. Teller gets in trouble - tells everyone - you lose that bank
2. Tellers transfer around - you lose other banks
3. Your name gets out there as the guy who go so and so in trouble/fired and next thing you know the branch across town wont sell you boxes.
4. You have much more to lose than you have to gain.

Yeah, I know. That's why I really haven't done anything about it. I honestly don't have an account at that bank chain or use them for anything other than the occasional teller tray scores, but I know the rules of the game and I wouldn't really rat them out. This dude was just too much. I totally support tellers sniping, I really do. In fact, more and more often I find myself in conversations with tellers that hunt for silver (only after they start the silver conversation of course). It wasn't about him getting the silver. It was about his gloating about it and acting like a know it all that really irked me. I wish it had been a TD or something where I could just make his life miserable with a crippling round of dumps. The one good thing about it is that the other branch that I got the regional manager info from I told them I was going to write a letter about their great service (which they do give great service even though I don't have an account there). They were super excited about it, so I will write a nice letter about them.

Last edited:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tellers have the right to CRH. I absolutely hate it when they do it in front of me, but I believe they have the right to do so. A bank is not a coin shop. They do not have to sell you those pretty silver rimmed coins just because you want them.

You didn't even have an account at this bank - not that that would change my opinion of the matter, but its another mark against you in this instance. IMO you positively had the right to refuse to purchase the clad after the teller took the silver, but I don't see where you have any real complaint whatsoever. What your complaint would be most likely to do - if it causes anything noticeable at all to happen - is that bank would institute a "sell coin to business account holders ONLY" policy, effectively ending your (and everyone elses') CRHing at every branch of this bank.

You should pick your battles very wisely in this hobby. Its a single 40%er. You didn't have an account at this bank. It will happen to you multiple times in the future if you continue the hobby. Let it go.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, in case you didn't read it the first time, I did not do anything. I was considering writing a letter. And, again, I totally agree that tellers have the right to snipe silver. I 100% agree that a bank is not a coin shop. What I disagree with is that once I talk to a teller that says: "I have $2.50 in halves, do you want them?" and I say "Yes" the head teller should NOT then step in and proceed to buy one of those halves. That is poor customer service. I don't care what industry you are in. I have actually come very close to opening an account at this chain of banks in the past.

When I go into a bank that I do not have an account at there are two ways that the tellers can guide that transaction. They can A) tell me I don't have an account and they can't do any business with me since I don't have an account (I assume based on your crass response that you would be this type of teller)
or they can B) Use it as an opportunity to gain a new customer.

I have a lot of bank accounts. Many of them I have opened because tellers have opted for choice B from above. I'm not one of those hunters that goes to banks that I don't have an account at and try to buy mountains of coins. I do go to random banks on occasion and purchase loose halves that most tellers are more than happy to get rid of.

I am NOT one of those hunters that is rude to tellers, go out of my way to take up time, or overly consume a banks resources. I am always courteous to tellers, consistently try to use coin counters at off-peak hours, pick all of my boxes up in a timely fashion when they are not busy and always tell tellers emphatically that I do not want to leave them short if I request dimes or quarters that I had not previously ordered.

Some banks have policies in place against tellers sniping silver. Again, I have no issue with a teller hunting for silver. Even if I request halves and they are in their tray and they say they are buying them for themselves, I'm totally cool with that. This jack wagon jumped into the middle of a transaction between me and a different teller and not only bought the silver for himself, but went on to gloat about it to both me (the customer) and the other teller.

And once again, in case you missed it the first time, my complaint wasn't about the silver itself, but the way the bank employee conducted himself. And whether you like it or not, banks are businesses that are competing for customers, so whether I have an account there or not, I am a potential customer, as I said one that was on the verge of opening an account there anyway. So I do have a real complaint whether you have deemed it appropriate or not.

Tellers have the right to CRH. I absolutely hate it when they do it in front of me, but I believe they have the right to do so. A bank is not a coin shop. They do not have to sell you those pretty silver rimmed coins just because you want them.

You didn't even have an account at this bank - not that that would change my opinion of the matter, but its another mark against you in this instance. IMO you positively had the right to refuse to purchase the clad after the teller took the silver, but I don't see where you have any real complaint whatsoever. What your complaint would be most likely to do - if it causes anything noticeable at all to happen - is that bank would institute a "sell coin to business account holders ONLY" policy, effectively ending your (and everyone elses') CRHing at every branch of this bank.

You should pick your battles very wisely in this hobby. Its a single 40%er. You didn't have an account at this bank. It will happen to you multiple times in the future if you continue the hobby. Let it go.

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I have so much anger....
I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate.

image-1549917907.jpg

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can't tell you how many times that's happened to me. Think about it, you'd be doing the same right if you were a teller? I will say though most of us would have the smarts not to let them clink, unless we were doing it purposefully as a teaser. Even the bankers don't have an idea of how tuned in we are visually/audially for silver. Usually I don't get too upset though as long as they're not in the teller tray. that's just wrong!

uncubano13

Jun 25, 2013
Wyoming, MI
Detector(s) used
Bought 2 of them from garage sales
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over 14 years ago I was a teller for 4 years and eventually I became vault teller and I had gone thru every cent and bill in my place and I ordered my self halves and tried to get ike's as well but I couldnt get any. Most anything that ever came in I tried to look thru and I even rolll searched on my down time! I would always swap out right away the moment I found anything. It was the best time I ever had searching! back then I would find alot of halves more than now and about 1 silver Q per 4 boxes and about 1-2 dimes per box and tons of old nickles and wheaties! I found more in those 4 years working there than in the last 14 years searching on spare time! lol

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over 14 years ago I was a teller for 4 years and eventually I became vault teller and I had gone thru every cent and bill in my place and I ordered my self halves and tried to get ike's as well but I couldnt get any. Most anything that ever came in I tried to look thru and I even rolll searched on my down time! I would always swap out right away the moment I found anything. It was the best time I ever had searching! back then I would find alot of halves more than now and about 1 silver Q per 4 boxes and about 1-2 dimes per box and tons of old nickles and wheaties! I found more in those 4 years working there than in the last 14 years searching on spare time! lol

How many silver halves do you think you culled in those 4 years?

uncubano13

Jun 25, 2013
Wyoming, MI
Detector(s) used
Bought 2 of them from garage sales
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 4 years of collecting just the halves I picked up a little over $1400 in face of just the 40%'s, about $500 in 90%'s!!!

Count Skrule

Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a teller change 3.00 to 2.50 on me. All in all, if they didn't notice it before, I would say that was an ahole move. If i were the teller, I would have let it go.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 4 years of collecting just the halves I picked up a little over $1400 in face of just the 40%'s, about $500 in 90%'s!!!

Dang and on top of that you were getting paid by the bank- thats swert

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy stock in the bank so they think your a dick when you pull that card on them the next time.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a kid at my dump bank, I asked for his halves, and he asked me what year the silver ones are... I said ummm I think 64 and older... he sold me all he had, which had 3 40%ers in it :P

I agree the tellers have the right to keep the silvers if they choose too, but dont do it infront of people, thats messed up... I hate when they do that crap... If you want it for yourself fine, but dont put it out there for people to see it.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread