Need advice from the suave and smooth

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I was road tripping a couple of days ago and and completely whiffed for the day (ended with 1-68, 1-64 dime, 2 war nicks and a decent Buffalo), but one interaction really demotivated me for the day. I was having a lot of trouble locating any halves at all, no teller trays, no CWR's, no MWR's, not even any dumps. I walked into a branch that I don't have an account with and asked, the teller said they have some on the counter machine but it's a lot. I said I'd love to buy them. "Are you sure, there's a lot?" We go over to the machine and there's a few hundred dollars in the machine. The teller says "Let me go ask the branch manager if I can sell these". Of course the answer was no. I indicated that I'd indemnify them to the risk of a mis-count and certainly wouldn't be returning them, still not OK. I asked if I could fill the bag up would they sell the whole bag, no. It was a reasonable discussion, the manager wasn't rude, I wasn't obnoxious, it just didn't work out. She said she'd escalated the question to 'district management' before for another customer and said that if she sold me the bag it could cost her her job. No problem them. While I was talking to the manager the teller had opened the machine and reached in and pulled out a single, random half, which I saw was a '68, then pitched said half back into the bag which sounded like it was chock full of silver. Now part of this is that it's the proverbial bag that got away. But the clanking sounded like multiple silvers, and the fact that a single random coin in the bag was silver of course is a good statistical sign.

The only card I didn't play was the 'ole "I collect certain dates, could I pillage through the bag and if I find dates that I need for my collection I'll replace the coins with my own half dollars, coin for coin". Not being an account holder, does anyone have any thoughts on if I have any options here?

Thanks. If we can't find anything I'll send out an APB to any hunters in the area who may have an account or relationship with the bank / branch and see if they can seal the deal.

I'm going to laugh if I find a way to get this bags and there ends up being 2 or 3 40's in it total.

Upvote 0

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had luck buying bags off of counters. I've asked a few dozen times and never gotten the green light, so I've just stopped asking. What I probably would have done is found out what courier they order from and ordered like a mad man from that service in that area for the next month or so. I solve all my problems with higher volume of boxes. If I didn't know what car service they used I would have bought a roll of dimes and quarters off of them before leaving. That's the quickest way to find out in my experience.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
If you really knew what kind of public crap and scams the tellers and management have to deal with on a daily basis, you would understand.
It takes one hunter to come back screaming "bag short", or "roll short", etc, and that's it. Done. No more. Never again. Finito.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Not really a big deal, just wanted to make sure I didn't leave any obvious options on the table. I can walk away from the silver and not even blink so I'll be OK. I have a HUGE box order coming in tomorrow so we'll see how I do. For me a HUGE box order is 3 boxes.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have asked about looking for the dates in that scenario. You have nothing to lose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread