Results from My First 6 Months of Coin Roll Hunting

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today marks the end of my first six months of coin roll hunting. I gotta say I never thought I would have results like this. I've found a total of 99.952 ounces of silver. Around 45 ounces of that were found in the last two weeks thanks to a great run of boxes. I may have to do some dimes and quarters today to try to bump that up to a solid 100 ounces.

Here is the breakdown of what I have found:

Silver Roosevelts: 68
Mercs: 9
Silver Washington Quarters: 16
Clad Commemorative Halves: 1
40% Kennedy's: 286 (including a silver bicentennial and a 69s proof)
90% Kennedy's: 105
Franklins: 26
Walkers: 5
Barber Halves: 1

I've put a ton of time into this hobby and I love every second of it.

Upvote 0

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome results! How many boxes of halves did you go through?

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of silver ! Thanks for sharing...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome results! How many boxes of halves did you go through?

Thanks. I actually don't keep track of the total number of boxes I hunt. In the beginning, I was getting 2 boxes a week. Probably by the end of the second month I was ordering 6 boxes a week. By about the fourth month or so I experimented with 10 boxes a week. I've done like three weeks at various times with between 10 and 20 boxes, but most often I bounced between 6-10 boxes a week. The last two weeks virtually doubled my total silver holdings because I got a really good batch of boxes.

BuyMyTreasure

Apr 23, 2013
MI
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. I actually don't keep track of the total number of boxes I hunt. In the beginning, I was getting 2 boxes a week. Probably by the end of the second month I was ordering 6 boxes a week. By about the fourth month or so I experimented with 10 boxes a week. I've done like three weeks at various times with between 10 and 20 boxes, but most often I bounced between 6-10 boxes a week. The last two weeks virtually doubled my total silver holdings because I got a really good batch of boxes.

Nice totals!

Any trouble dumping that much? How many dump banks do you use

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What or how much is a "Box" - I went to the bank and the teller gave me a huge bag of dimes $500.00 worth...........

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What or how much is a "Box" - I went to the bank and the teller gave me a huge bag of dimes $500.00 worth...........

A box is different for each denomination
Cents=$25
Nickles=$200
Dimes=$250
Halves=$500

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes dime boxes are $500. Half the banks down here in SoCal are 500 and the other half are 250

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good numbers!! Too bad you didnt keep track of box count to get some ratios down. I love breaking down my totals in different ratio's. like average number of silvers per box, average silver(troy oz) per box. etc

For this year I am averaging .26 toz per box! I dont think thats too bad at all, just need spot price to go back to 30+ again and it will be really nice! But it does seem that precious metals are coming back up in the manipulated paper market.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice totals!

Any trouble dumping that much? How many dump banks do you use

No trouble at all with dumping. When I first started I was using "America's most convenient dump bank" which honestly isn't a great dump bank at all. I then stumbled upon a real gem of a dump bank. Their machine fills by the piece into a central bin and the machine fills at 72,000 pieces which means it would take $36,000 in halves to fill their machine. All of this came from a manager at one of their branches that assured me that no amount of dumps would be an inconvenience for them. They only have ~10 branches and I hit 4 of them that are close to my house routinely. The best part is that they are serviced by an armored car service that I never order from.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good numbers!! Too bad you didnt keep track of box count to get some ratios down. I love breaking down my totals in different ratio's. like average number of silvers per box, average silver(troy oz) per box. etc

For this year I am averaging .26 toz per box! I dont think thats too bad at all, just need spot price to go back to 30+ again and it will be really nice! But it does seem that precious metals are coming back up in the manipulated paper market.

I could actually probably add it all up if I ever had the time. I'm pretty sure all of my hunts in the last 4-5 months have been recorded in my log in the log section. I'm honestly just happy if I'm finding at least some silver every week.

I'm really happy that the price of silver is coming back up. I'm considering getting rid of my 40%'ers just to free up some space, grab a little cash and act as a response to my girl who always says: "You haven't made anything since you haven't sold any of it yet...."

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey i've never seen or heard of a $500 dime box, could you post a picture of one whenever you get a chance? :)
Sometimes dime boxes are $500. Half the banks down here in SoCal are 500 and the other half are 250

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive! Any pics of the pyle?
Nope, I don't feel like pulling them all out of their tubes. But you can check my log under the CRH log section. Almost everything in my stack has a picture when it was found. If you look at the last four pages or so, there are some definite piles in there.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to my silver weight calculations you actually had 100.31455 oz of silver!!

I use this form of ounces for every silver coin:
war nickel: 0.0563 oz of silver
silver dime: 0.07234 oz of silver
quarter: 0.18084 oz of silver
40% half: 0.1479 oz of silver
90% half: 0.36169 oz of silver

:)
Today marks the end of my first six months of coin roll hunting. I gotta say I never thought I would have results like this. I've found a total of 99.952 ounces of silver. Around 45 ounces of that were found in the last two weeks thanks to a great run of boxes. I may have to do some dimes and quarters today to try to bump that up to a solid 100 ounces.

Here is the breakdown of what I have found:

Silver Roosevelts: 68
Mercs: 9
Silver Washington Quarters: 16
Clad Commemorative Halves: 1
40% Kennedy's: 286 (including a silver bicentennial and a 69s proof)
90% Kennedy's: 105
Franklins: 26
Walkers: 5
Barber Halves: 1

I've put a ton of time into this hobby and I love every second of it.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for double checking me. I actually switched to adding the individual coin weights to my running total a few weeks ago, so I figured there was a chance I forgot to add something along the way. Some how I knew someone would double check me.

According to my silver weight calculations you actually had 100.31455 oz of silver!!

I use this form of ounces for every silver coin:
war nickel: 0.0563 oz of silver
silver dime: 0.07234 oz of silver
quarter: 0.18084 oz of silver
40% half: 0.1479 oz of silver
90% half: 0.36169 oz of silver

:)

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, you had your goal afterall :) I got these silver weights (ASW) from my redbook which states the value and mintage as well as composition etc about all US coins. My redbook is the 2010 edition though, it doesn't really make sense for me to buy a new one for $16.95+tax lol.
Thanks for double checking me. I actually switched to adding the individual coin weights to my running total a few weeks ago, so I figured there was a chance I forgot to add something along the way. Some how I knew someone would double check me.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Any pics of the pyle?

pyle_audio_plchw15-400-400.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread