Dimes

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question for all you regular dime hunters: on average, do you find more keepers in CWRs or boxes?

I would think that CWRs give a greater chance of hitting a collection dump or an old coin jar/drawer/box being cleaned out, but a lot of the dime finds on here seem to be from boxes. I would think that the boxes are largely filled with coins that are circulating (which don't have much Ag) while the customer coins could have been sitting for a while.

This has probably already been asked and answered, but I appreciate hearing folks' views.

Was thinking about this on Saturday while going through $100 in CWRs in a neigborhood with a lot of older residents. Some of the wrappers looked old and promising, but was totally skunked. I have scored some Ag dimes in CWRs before, but not many and probably equal the number of dimes I've found in coin machine reject trays/tubes.

Thanks

Upvote 0

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost all my finds come from bags, but other than the rare small collection dump (a couple of 25+ bags), my find rate from boxes is about the same. CWR do not really exist where I am.

It all depends on being at the right place at the right time.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had good access to cwr dimes in the last five years, and have searched probably around a tenth of a million dollars worth. I have never hit a solid silver roll.
I've searched my share of boxes also, the average is the same, about 1 silver per $150. I seem to get more mercs from the boxes, also lots of Canadian silvers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread