My good deed today... although it made me a little queasy :(

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
While working, I was at the bank today buying change for my store (which I always look through by the way:) ) Anyway, I couldn't help but overhear a little old lady at the teller next to me. She was asking about "those old silver coins" that everyone horded in the early sixties. She asked if anyone still brought those in. At first, I thought she was a collector like us who was trying to bait the teller into giving up some good coins. But, in fact, she was asking if banks still accepted these because had rolls and rolls that her deceased husband had horded. She figured that it was time to turn them in because she needed the money. I had to make an immediate ethical decision. I chose the high road. I chimed in and told her to NOT cash these in for face value. I informed her about the recent spike in silver prices and the collector market for silver coins. I asked if she had anyone she trusted who knew Ebay... she said her son did. I told her that was her best bet to get high prices. I cautioned her about our local coin shop, as the guy there is a douche. He tried to offer $.60 a piece for 40% halves when silver was at $13/oz. I can't imagine what he'd try to pull on an 80 year old widow. I thought about making her an offer, but I don't have enough $ to make her what I feel is a fair offer. So I feel good, but there's a part of me that would have loved to see those coins up for grabs at face value.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good story and a darn good deed indeed! Poor little ole lady.That teller might have jumped at the opportunity to get those rolls if you hadn't chimed in.Especially if it was the teller at my local branch.Kudos to you! It'll come back to you,eventually. :)

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
Good deed ;D It will come back to you 10 times in the future, to bad you didn't buy some just to see how much she had and what she had

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a very admirable thing you did. I commend you on your decision. I know that did your heart good.....kudos to you.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
My Mom just called, she wants me to sell her silver coins on e-bay... she said a nice young man helped her at the bank today!

I told her the coins were worthless and she just gave them to me...

and you believe that!? :D :D ;)

You did good helping her out... like lejeuene said, I bet it did your heart good. WTG!!

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I feel your pain brother! I can just imagine stading there gritting my teeth. The devil on one sholder angel on the other. I think I would have done the same thing though. Maybe she will come back and give you a few for being honest......... Na... probably not. Old people are stingey. bad drivers too. :o

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have been very tempted (and would have probably done it) to offer her a fair price (8X face), then go thru them and see if I could find any scarce coins. I could have dumped the common stuff off on ebay and gotten my 8X face back.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would of offered to look them over and tell her what the value of them was...then tried to buy what I could afford, who knows she might of let you buy em a few at a time.

but you did a good thing and deserve a huge pat on the back!

NOW EVERYONE SCAN EBAY FOR THESE COINS!

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
What goes around, comes around. Very nice thing you did there. Somewhere down the road you will be rewarded for today.

OP
OP
D

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
wayne1956 said:
I would have been very tempted (and would have probably done it) to offer her a fair price (8X face), then go thru them and see if I could find any scarce coins. I could have dumped the common stuff off on ebay and gotten my 8X face back.

I wanted to, but even at that price, it would be $40 for dimes and $80 for quarters... I just don't have the money to invest, even though I know I'd turn a profit in the end. Plus, I don't look the part of the trustworthy young man, even though I am. I have long hair, wear biker clothing and am a heavy metal musician... I didn't want to make her nervous that I was trying to scam her. Hopefully some fools on Ebay will pay way too much and she can have profit that her late husband had planned on.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
[/quote]

I wanted to, but even at that price, it would be $40 for dimes and $80 for quarters... I just don't have the money to invest, even though I know I'd turn a profit in the end. Plus, I don't look the part of the trustworthy young man, even though I am. I have long hair, wear biker clothing and am a heavy metal musician... I didn't want to make her nervous that I was trying to scam her. Hopefully some fools on Ebay will pay way too much and she can have profit that her late husband had planned on.
[/quote]

You did good!!!! :)
If you metal detect I hope you find lots of silver coins and gold rings!!!!!!!!!!
And if you exit a bank and find a $100 bill in the parking lot..........pick it up.....and keep walking. :-X

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Des, you did good! I'm proud of you! The good deed will come back to you in some way.

Huntin' 59er

A

agbonanza

WTG!!!! It's people like you that make our hobby a great one! May your kindness return to you tenfold!!

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
WTG! You did the right thing. Silver (while of value) is just an inanimate object.

Helping each other out on our journey through life has MUCH more value.

You have my respect!
:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread