I Think I Wanna Cry

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Was at my weekly Scout meeting last night and one of the boys' dads tells me a sad tale about his daughter - his son's younger sister. They live with his (dad's) mom owing to his lack of a regular job the past 2+ years. Seems grandma has some silver dollars (the real deal, not Ikes) that she has saved for years and years, and the daughter stole some and spent them AT FACE VALUE. He didn't say how many it was but I gathered it was more than a couple. Oh yeah, she's grounded. No phone, no TV, no outside activities, etc, etc. But the loss in real cash value - nevermind that Grandma was savvy enough to stash away some REAL money for a really rainy day - just makes a man wanna cry. Thing is the kid isn't some punk early teenager with an "I deserve it so there" attitude either.

Shaking my head sadly.

Rascal

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crying.gif
Bummer!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang!...Thats not cool at all...I remember when i was a teenager, a guy wanted to buy a skateboard from me...and gave me 20 Peace Dollars for a deck...Oh course I took it .....years later some A-hole stole them from my apartment....But I can only imagine where he got them from...of course i was a dumb kid..lol...still am

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
What's mind-boggling is, what merchant would even accept silver dollars as payment (prob for an e-cig) unless they were in the know?

"We don't take foreign coins"

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Was at my weekly Scout meeting last night and one of the boys' dads tells me a sad tale about his daughter - his son's younger sister. They live with his (dad's) mom owing to his lack of a regular job the past 2+ years. Seems grandma has some silver dollars (the real deal, not Ikes) that she has saved for years and years, and the daughter stole some and spent them AT FACE VALUE. He didn't say how many it was but I gathered it was more than a couple. Oh yeah, she's grounded. No phone, no TV, no outside activities, etc, etc. But the loss in real cash value - nevermind that Grandma was savvy enough to stash away some REAL money for a really rainy day - just makes a man wanna cry. Thing is the kid isn't some punk early teenager with an "I deserve it so there" attitude either.

Shaking my head sadly.

Rascal
Maybe if this so called Dad, didn't waste time with "Scouts" (be they boy or girl scouts), he would have had time to actually teach his children about silver and the value of it. What are children going to learn from boy scouts or girl scouts? I'll tell you what, things along the line of basket-weaving.

Also, if they kid isn't some punk, and lacks an attitude what the heck is the point of punishing/grounding her? I absolutely do not empathize with or feel sadness for the father. I do feel bad that the child was punished for no reason.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
No reason other than stealing.

Thing is the kid isn't some punk early teenager with an "I deserve it so there" attitude either.

Plus she spent them at face value, so I doubt she intentionally stole them. She probably just took them and thought they were pretty neat. Of course stealing was wrong, it seems as though she is being punished because it was "serious" or "silver", what I'm trying to say is, the parents should have told their kids about silver and probably told them not to steal from grandma, ever, in the first place, Punishing her for something she may not have known was wrong seems childish.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus she spent them at face value, so I doubt she intentionally stole them. She probably just took them and thought they were pretty neat. Of course stealing was wrong, it seems as though she is being punished because it was "serious" or "silver", what I'm trying to say is, the parents should have told their kids about silver and probably told them not to steal from grandma, ever, in the first place, Punishing her for something she may not have known was wrong seems childish.

How many kids do you have?

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now your response makes sense. Wait until your child takes stuff from your room over and over again. Then you will understand why boundaries and reinforcing boundaries is so important. HH

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Now your response makes sense. Wait until your child takes stuff from your room over and over again. Then you will understand why boundaries and reinforcing boundaries is so important. HH

You reinforce with reward not punishment; punishment leads to aversion. Basic Pavlov, Watson, Skinner. I have a keen memory of my childhood, I don't recall stealing things, as I was probably taught it was wrong in the first place instead. This girl, probably was not taught it in the first place.

OP
OP
Rascal

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe if this so called Dad, didn't waste time with "Scouts" (be they boy or girl scouts), he would have had time to actually teach his children about silver and the value of it. What are children going to learn from boy scouts or girl scouts? I'll tell you what, things along the line of basket-weaving.

Also, if they kid isn't some punk, and lacks an attitude what the heck is the point of punishing/grounding her? I absolutely do not empathize with or feel sadness for the father. I do feel bad that the child was punished for no reason.

Quite obvious to me you know nothing of the values inherent in the program. I have taught coin collecting and we teach personal management as a requirement, that being how to manage finances, etc, which INCLUDES investing in whatever form, be it silver or gold or old fashioned stocks and savings bonds or even a penny jar.

I would bring in boxes of cents and allow the boys to keep whatever they found. Rolled, sealed boxes. On the agenda for yet this Fall is teaching them about silver and other old coins as both an investment and a hedge against inflation, the same reasons many if not most here CRH.

The girl STOLE the money, period. Doesn't matter that it was Peace dollars or Franklin or Roosevelt dimes. Doesn't matter if grandma was a CRH'er or a dotty old senior.

Money is money and assuming the cashier didn't know the value other than they were "old" they'd still take them because they were denominated in USD. The same reason they'd take Susan B's or Presidentials. If they DID know the inherent value of them they likely just assumed it was their lucky day and replaced them in the till with greenbacks.

Rascal

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Money is money and assuming the cashier didn't know the value other than they were "old" they'd still take them because they were denominated in USD. The same reason they'd take Susan B's or Presidentials. If they DID know the inherent value of them they likely just assumed it was their lucky day and replaced them in the till with greenbacks.

Rascal

When I spent a V-nickel (cull), they told me it's Canadian and they can't take it. Gave that old lady a bit of legal tender lesson and she took it.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
When I spent a V-nickel (cull), they told me it's Canadian and they can't take it. Gave that old lady a bit of legal tender lesson and she took it.
Even if it's denominated US, they can't be forced to take it. It's happened to me also, several times, especially with US Kennedy half dollars.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to sound crass, but I would bet that the majority of our CRH'ing finds are the result of stories like this. It's a shame that it happened to your friend, but everyone in this forum relies on these kinds of events to make our hobby possible.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe if this so called Dad, didn't waste time with "Scouts" (be they boy or girl scouts), he would have had time to actually teach his children about silver and the value of it. What are children going to learn from boy scouts or girl scouts? I'll tell you what, things along the line of basket-weaving. /QUOTE]

You basically insulted the OP and every other parent that is involved with the Scouts, this is an ignorant statement 50, you obviously know not a single thing about the "Scouts" or what they stand for or what the values they instill in children are. Most people who do not have children always think they could do better or have some comment to make that they have absolutely no real experience with. Maybe just read the Boy Scout motto and then see if you think it is a waste of time for kids???.

And as far as teaching by reward and not punishment LMFAO, just wait till you have kids, if you have kids, try that system out, you'll have one of those kids that we all see at the supermarket screaming back at the parents embarrassing them infront of everyone. If my kids are bad, they get punished ( I don't spank my kids guys, never have, I'm fortunate that my kids are good kids) in some form or fashion. You have to discipline children, we all were disciplined when we were kids, at least those of us that are older, this is why the younger generation is just out of control and feel intitled, lack of discipline and parenting skills. HH, Maverick.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry 50cent disagree with the scouting. But yes he should have taught the kid.
Been In scouting for a while I teach the coin collecting merit badge. I do teach the kids about silver even though it isnt in the book. These coins where prob just in a box or something laying around and the kid saw money. Not true money (as it truly is) but money for something they wanted at the time. Rascal I would look around maybe ask where she went to spend it Might be a recovery in it.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe if this so called Dad, didn't waste time with "Scouts" (be they boy or girl scouts), he would have had time to actually teach his children about silver and the value of it. What are children going to learn from boy scouts or girl scouts? I'll tell you what, things along the line of basket-weaving. /QUOTE]

You basically insulted the OP and every other parent that is involved with the Scouts, this is an ignorant statement 50, you obviously know not a single thing about the "Scouts" or what they stand for or what the values they instill in children are. Most people who do not have children always think they could do better or have some comment to make that they have absolutely no real experience with. Maybe just read the Boy Scout motto and then see if you think it is a waste of time for kids???.

And as far as teaching by reward and not punishment LMFAO, just wait till you have kids, if you have kids, try that system out, you'll have one of those kids that we all see at the supermarket screaming back at the parents embarrassing them infront of everyone. If my kids are bad, they get punished ( I don't spank my kids guys, never have, I'm fortunate that my kids are good kids) in some form or fashion. You have to discipline children, we all were disciplined when we were kids, at least those of us that are older, this is why the younger generation is just out of control and feel intitled, lack of discipline and parenting skills. HH, Maverick.

I'm not trying to insult the OP at all, if anything is offensive it would be toward the parent of the daughter. The form of so called "discipline" is more like neglect, sealing her off and from the sounds of it not even letting her outside. I don't know about you but when I was a kid, when kids were grounded they had to stay in their homes/yards, heck they could even watch TV. I'm not against discipline, I'm against disciplining for no reason. The supermarket children you speak of are the example of parents who probably discipline in the wrong situation, and didn't in the right.

Also I would like to know what kind of values the scouts instill that you speak of? I have met several "eagle scouts" throughout the course of my life, and I have not met a more entitled bunch of people. Each of the eagle scouts I have met, have had a poor GPA and were very egotistical. Mentioning that you were an eagle scout on a job application or resume for example. Really, if you don't do the hard work, you can't make the grades, and you cannot learn, going through your childhood as a scout does not make up for the areas you do not succeed in. The scouts are not the military(whom I have a great deal of respect, admiration for and who's skills actually are applicable to the real world), which as many eagle scouts think they are just as important. Speaking of values, I don't mean to insult any member, but of course of you have seen the news lately, they obviously lack ethical values (acceptance of ...., I'm not religious but this is despicable for a kids organization to even speak about this let alone accept it!). I'm sorry for letting all this off here, but I had to say it, so you would know where I'm coming from. I'm basing my observation of the scouts, off the end-product of the organization, "eagle scouts". I've met several in higher education, while working, and have even interviewed one. If I had not met a single eagle scout in my life, I would probably be indifferent or even look with a positive light toward the scouts. I know they're are obviously good people in the scouts (take maverick or rascal), and there probably are good eagle scouts who are studious as well, but based on the younger generation of scouts I've encountered through life, their are few and far between.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not trying to insult the OP at all, if anything is offensive it would be toward the parent of the daughter. The form of so called "discipline" is more like neglect, sealing her off and from the sounds of it not even letting her outside. I don't know about you but when I was a kid, when kids were grounded they had to stay in their homes/yards, heck they could even watch TV. I'm not against discipline, I'm against disciplining for no reason. The supermarket children you speak of are the example of parents who probably discipline in the wrong situation, and didn't in the right.

Also I would like to know what kind of values the scouts instill that you speak of? I have met several "eagle scouts" throughout the course of my life, and I have not met a more entitled bunch of people. Each of the eagle scouts I have met, have had a poor GPA and were very egotistical. Mentioning that you were an eagle scout on a job application or resume for example. Really, if you don't do the hard work, you can't make the grades, and you cannot learn, going through your childhood as a scout does not make up for the areas you do not succeed in. The scouts are not the military(whom I have a great deal of respect, admiration for and who's skills actually are applicable to the real world), which as many eagle scouts think they are just as important. Speaking of values, I don't mean to insult any member, but of course of you have seen the news lately, they obviously lack ethical values (acceptance of ...., I'm not religious but this is despicable for a kids organization to even speak about this let alone accept it!). I'm sorry for letting all this off here, but I had to say it, so you would know where I'm coming from. I'm basing my observation of the scouts, off the end-product of the organization, "eagle scouts". I've met several in higher education, while working, and have even interviewed one. If I had not met a single eagle scout in my life, I would probably be indifferent or even look with a positive light toward the scouts. I know they're are obviously good people in the scouts (take maverick or rascal), and there probably are good eagle scouts who are studious as well, but based on the younger generation of scouts I've encountered through life, their are few and far between.

I dont think it is scouting, I think it is the kids not being taught or allowed to be taught by the parents and others and what the world is teaching the younger generation. Dont believe me watch the news.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread