Anticipation...

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over my three years of CRH I have noticed that boxes and groups of boxes sometimes have similar properties. I borrow a term from poker and call it "texture". Some boxes will have dirty coins and a few 40%. Others will be clean and give up nothing. Others will be nondescript but a vein of cameo proofs will be present. I observe that I tend to get groups of boxes in which all the boxes have similar makeups.

So what does that have to do with "anticipation"?

Two weeks ago my boxes had a different texture, one which I had never seen before. About 60% of the contents of each box was mixed date NIFC. Several rolls were solid mixed date NIFC. I don't save them, but it is always fun to see something different. And my 6 boxes gave up 1 90% and 6 40%. Not bad.

Last week started on a minor negative note. The vault teller apologized and told me that the courier messed up and only brought 5 boxes. No big deal. 5 is better than 0. I asked the teller if she would order 7 boxes for me in order to get me back on an even number (I dump in the form of $1000 bags). No problem. 7 boxes in the next order.

When I started opening the boxes I noted the same texture as the prior week, many NIFC. Hey, an ender. I put that aside for last. Then I opened a roll and saw two silver edges side by side. One had the worn reeding which usually means Walker. Yep, a Walker. The other was a beautiful Ben.

Then I hit a nice vein of silver, the best I have seen in my 3 years of CRH. Still a lot of NIFC mixed in.

I ended up with the following totals from the 5 boxes:

13 Walkers
15 Bens
14 1964
27 40%

In a few hours I will pick up my 7 boxes. Will the texture continue to be clean NIFC and rich in 90%?

Anticipation...

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill agree with your theory as ive noticed the same kind of trend in boxes-
And by the way thats a sweet 5 boxes hope the next 7 treat you well

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

$nack-Money

Jul 16, 2011
Nice post penman77. I refer to the same things as "box themes." Typically, a box with nothing but clean, homogenous halves showing (as viewable enders) will produce very little. On the other hand, a mixed bag of marked/ proof/ dirty/ different types of enders in general (although not necessarily Ag enders) will almost always produce a little Ag. You can also get an idea of how the halves were mixed as they were boxed due to specific types of coin wear/ discoloration. For example, if over a 6 box set you notice several unique coins (say they are all BU 2009s), then you can speculate they were all dumped together and get an idea of how much they mixed prior to making it to their final place in a box. Also, there are silver themes, where a good part of your silver halves have the same type of discoloration... those happen to be my favorite (as are most others too lol).

uncubano13

Jun 25, 2013
Wyoming, MI
Detector(s) used
Bought 2 of them from garage sales
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck and I am now in anticipation to hear how you did! lol

OP
OP
P

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two of the boxes were fairly heavy in NIFC's. The other five boxes were typical. Seven boxes of skunk. That's CRH.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awe dangnabits-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions