Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I scored 27 40%'s 1 1964 & 1 1954 D half today, plus a 1921 Morgan for face value. Here's the story:

I am at work and see a CL post for free firewood right down the street. My noon appointment calls and says she is running 20 minutes late one minute later. So I run out to grab some free wood in my Subaru from lunch. Well, the tree was already gone.

Then I think, well, I have $20 in halves to dump, maybe I'll get lucky in the reject tube, and maybe I'll just get a box of pennies. I was driving by a TD bank anyway, and I have scored a peace and morgan out of that bank's machine before. Well, having those halves worked out perfect.

Here are two guys dumping MASSIVE amounts of change. The teller has the machine pulled out and they are at the bottom of what they had. Ended up being $2300 of loose change. What I notice is a bag of large dollar coins, about $15. I say "oh, your putting those in the machine, too? Can I take a look?" I see a white rim and ask to buy $5 (the only cash I had on me). I grab the 1921 morgan and 4 other ikes.

Then I see there are a bunch of halves mixed in to what they are dumping. I tell them I collect coins and can I look a bit. Well, no silver. I start asking them if they have more, where, can I buy them, etc. Well, then own a grocery store in downtown hartford somewhere, keep all the 1800's stuff (they have alot of) and didn't want to entertain me buying coins from them. Meanwhile, I am I seeing alot of white rims in that halves bag.

After they finish up, with the machine open, I ask the teller who was helping them if I can make a special request, which we may have to ask the manager about. I ask the manager if I can trade 1-for-1 out of the bag for the "old ones that are just going to get processed by the coin carrier that I want to save" & "I won't mess up your count." She agrees as long as the teller handles the coin. SWEET! Being polite worked!

The teller let's me cherry pick all the white rims out of her handfuls from the bag. I grabbed $14.50 face value halves, only had $20 with me so it worked out PERFECT. I was waiting to cash in the other few bucks in bank line, and then realized I was running late so I just walked right out the bank with a pocket of sweet silver!

I have not found much this entire year, and slowed down on hunting a lot due to halves drying up and tag sale season. This made my last 6 months! Happy Hunting - Jonathan will post pics shortly

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice! silver is where you find it! it helps to be open and honest to the tellers, if you spin things the right way they will help you out sometimes. nice morgan!

OP
OP
Mr. Silver Stash

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
ForumRunner_20130925_144457.png

ForumRunner_20130925_144512.png

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoot you totally took advantage of that situation- job well done awesome haul-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you magnet test the silver dollar yet?
Too many fakes around

Sep 19, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My question - who takes a Morgan to the bank for $1.00? Don't get it! You would think even someone who didn't know coins would know it was worth more than face value... A guy here locally who works at a store had a customer come in recently and pay for a soda with two walking half dollars - and again, nice score for him, but who does that? Geez people! Anyway, that is indeed quite a silver haul...

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score!!!

One question in my mind: I thought TD machines rejected silver. If not, I'll pay closer attention to those bags when the machine is open.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score!!!

One question in my mind: I thought TD machines rejected silver. If not, I'll pay closer attention to those bags when the machine is open.

they do not reject most of it when it comes to halves. I have seen silver halves in the bags at td bank , 40% and 90% coins. A friend just last week pulled a dozen 1964s and 5 franklins from a td bank bag. He said the same thing, if he did not have the halves to trade with him the teller would have said no.

OP
OP
Mr. Silver Stash

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Magnet tested Morgan - its real. It had that smooth rim and some dings, and of course that ping when drop tested.

I always thought penny arcade rejected silver too. This is the second machine I've seen a lot of silver in the halves bag. But a month ago I saw a lot of silver ALL get rejected. All the machines must get worn in differently.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread