Saturday morning bank runs

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Hit some banks this morning; before they closed at noon.

First bank had no rolls, but $14.50 in loose halves. Out of those 29 halves, there were 6 keepers (66x2, 67 & 68dx3). 6 out of 29 (over 20%), I'd love those odds on a full box.

Second bank only had halves in the coin counter and, as it was in the vault (?), and did not have access to it on Saturday. She said I could come back on Tuesday (Monday's a holiday) and buy what's in the bag (you know I'll be there on Tuesday).

Next bank only had three halves (no keepers) but did have an Ike to sell me.

Last bank was the worst. They said they had $200 in rolls in the vault, but because I didn't have an account with them; they couldn't (or wouldn't) sell them to me. Bang, zoom, right to the moon Alice. (for those of you old enough, that's how mad I was).

Upvote 0

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
I ve been denied a few times like that. Now if asked, I have an account. There is a bank I went to in the summer its like a credit union or something. They have $200 in halves and I accidently said not a memeber.
Well I hope they forgot by now as the next time I am in the area, I am now a member! ;D

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Congrats on the 6 silver halves! Open an account with them and deposit the minimum amount required to keep the account open. Then tell the you want to purchase the halves.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain on the last bank. Locally there is a small bank that will not sell me halves either (snooty teller) because I don't have an account with them. This is so ridiculous. Aggravates me to no end. I am considering opening an account...buy every roll they have...search them and then dump them right back.....and then close the account just to make a point. Would that be a bit** or what? I would even have considered this had the teller been like 99.9% of the tellers I have dealt with. Ooooh....I am just hot typing this...... >:( >:( >:(

BTW - Good job on the first bank....lol....I got to rambling there.

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I am having that dilema right now. There is a bank that has 1000 in bags and some rolled. The teller could only sell me $200 worth becaue I didnt have an account. I asked her if they have many people dropping off halfs she said no it took a long time to fill those bags. I kinda want to go open an account there.........

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigtime400 said:
........I asked her if they have many people dropping off halfs she said no it took a long time to fill those bags. I kinda want to go open an account there.........

Where do you live? If you don't open an account there I will. ;D

Who knows how long it took to fill that bag. ;) and remember these were all from different customers bringing in halves that they have had sitting around for years.

I vote go for it.

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
thurmownator said:
Hit some banks this morning; before they closed at noon.

First bank had no rolls, but $14.50 in loose halves. Out of those 29 halves, there were 6 keepers (66x2, 67 & 68dx3). 6 out of 29 (over 20%), I'd love those odds on a full box.

Second bank only had halves in the coin counter and, as it was in the vault (?), and did not have access to it on Saturday. She said I could come back on Tuesday (Monday's a holiday) and buy what's in the bag (you know I'll be there on Tuesday).

Went back on Tuesday, the woman on Satrday was mistaken. The bag of halves had been sold last month. >:( They did have $5 in loose halves and it did yield a 69D.

Next bank only had three halves (no keepers) but did have an Ike to sell me.

Last bank was the worst. They said they had $200 in rolls in the vault, but because I didn't have an account with them; they couldn't (or wouldn't) sell them to me. Bang, zoom, right to the moon Alice. (for those of you old enough, that's how mad I was).

Went back again. (Now) they only had $150 in rolled halves, but did sell them to me this time. Result: a 67 and 02D

Another bank had $120 in loose halves, that were just deposited on Saturday, and were very, very glad to get rid of them. No wonder, they prduced ZERO.

Oh well, getting those three keepers was still fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions