POST YOUR CRH Locations

DOCC77

Jan 13, 2007
Ive been reading this thread for a while and seeing the silver and skunks form everyone including myself.I have done some research and made some calls to BRINKS,and have got a question to all of you guys.

Im looking for you all to post where your located,just CITY AND STATE,and if you have silver finds or SKUNKS.It will help in my research on where the silver is and put together what BRINKS said to me.
Id appreciate it alot.

Im in the state of Florida in Port Charlotte.

Once I get some feedback from you all.I can put together what the pieces of the puzzle brinks told me.
THANKS and GOOD HUNTING.....

Upvote 0

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Doc

I live in the dc metro area, and there must be a 1000 different banks and 10's of thousands branches in a 30 mile radius. Ive tried a few differnt banks to get boxes from. Some banks only give skunk boxes others might yield some silver now and then, no great boxes. Then there is one bank that I do get good boxes from, not all the time but from time to time. There are still some boxes from that bank that gives little or no silver. Still I know good boxes are out there, and I do get them on occation. I will go by other banks to just see if they have some on hand, and have had some good scores. But there is only one bank and its many many branches, that I order boxes from. Got 3 boxes on order now. Even from my favorite bank I got skunked 4 boxes in a row this year. Also, have gotten 3 very good boxes and a number of reasonable boxes from them this year.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Broward county Florida,Hollywood to be exact.All my boxes have been sealed and the rolls come in brown and white wrappers,machine wrapped.The first several boxes I searched had keepers.More than a few,my first box being the best.The last six boxes have had none,not even one.One week,I ordered boxes from the same bank (Wachovia) but two different branches and got into a conversation with the teller who does the ordering.It was about why the other branch which I normally use,delivers on Thursday and her branch delivers on Friday.She told me, even though they are the same bank,they don't all use the same courier service.It didn't matter though,both boxes looked the same, wrappers and all,no silver and all.Let us know what you come up with.

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Beloit, WI. Thats southern WI. Well why don't you tell US what Brinks said!!??

Look below to see how I have done so far. I have had some skunk boxes though.

OP
OP
D

DOCC77

Jan 13, 2007
OK all..Ill let you in on what I found out.Im in southern florida and the brinks reserve that supplies all south florida is Miami.In northern florida the reserve is jacksonville and a small reserve in orlando.
Different parts of the county have different Fed reserves that they service.Now what I found out is BRINKS is the counting house and reserve for all the coin in the country.
they are all BRINKS but independently run and operated.I found out that some of the brinks area reserves SEARCH their coin and all the so called keepers stay within the facilities.
The employees DIVY it up.They replace it with face value.I was told off the record that if I was searching for silver or old coins that it was going to be "SLIM PICKINS"!!!
So thats why my thread.Im trying to find out by the skunks and silver found which brinks reserves are searching and which ones are not.It will let us all know...I hope this helps..

I have myself in the last two months have searched 22 boxes with 1 keeper coin.a 1776-1976 bicentenial proof coin.Thats it out of 22 boxes.I have used 3 banks for these in my area and one in another city close to me.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I really have to disagree with you about Brinks(as well as other similar companies) keeping all the silver. Brinks may be privately owned, but they are Federally regulated, with the highest security available for such a company. They have many cameras watching their employess, as well as each employee coming and going though metal detectors. I do not think they are splitting all the silver (& other keepers). That would be a serious security breach!!! What does everyone else think??

Joe

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I agree totally. THe drivers just do that. Drive! They dont go though all the coins mark them and roll them up. I think our worst enemy is ourselfs. We get bad batches because they were ones we probably sent back got rerolled set on the stack and then sent back out. Im sure the reserve isnt to concerned with rotating stock like you would in a restraunt or something. the best advice I have been given is to spend the halfs!!!!! I cant wait till we start having rummage sales! Im sure the people will be tickled to get halfs for change every chance I can. :-) And how much do you want to bet someone wants to buy all the halfs off me?

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
I'm in Visalia, Ca. I don't order many boxes...most of my halves come from coins turned in from customers....The boxes I have ordered have been ok...but nothing great. Wouldn't be a good idea for the Brinks employees to be searching the coin turned in. It would be like being a bank teller letting someone else unsupervised search their drawer...Any shorts would have to be made up by the teller. Doesn't mean it's not happening though....I'd do it! ;D

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
I found this post on RCC, I went to coinworld.com and did a search. The articles did not seem to go bag to 1999 when this post was made. Still insteresting.

View profile
mike [email protected] wrote: >>>I've never seen a teller that went through a bag. Only those boxes. or plain old rolls. Even my sisters friend, a bank teller mentions never handling a mint sewn bag. I would think banks would see such acts futile, and aquire them pre-rolled instead of wasting loads of money buying their own roller or wasting loads of time hand rolling their own.<<< The CoinWorld article mentions that Brink's employees are allowed to buy error coins at face value. This would include errors that don't fit in the coin counting / rolling machine. I would assume they were rolling quarters and the Sacagawea dollar stood out like a sore thumb. >>>I'd like to know how come its MS-65. Seems a touch high for a bag find.<<< Well...if you don't get a business strike coin from a Mint set, it originally came from a bag....that's how the Fed ships them. +++++++++++++++ Phil DeMayo eBay: flip48 Coinmasters 1188 ANA R-182606 +++++++++++++++
More options Dec 30 1999, 3:00 am

Newsgroups: rec.collecting.coins
Date: 1999/12/30
Subject: Re: fox news report
Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message | Find messages by this author

mike [email protected] wrote:
>>>I've never seen a teller that went through a bag. Only those boxes. or plain

old rolls. Even my sisters friend, a bank teller mentions never handling a mint
sewn bag. I would think banks would see such acts futile, and aquire them
pre-rolled instead of wasting loads of money buying their own roller or wasting
loads of time hand rolling their own.<<<

The CoinWorld article mentions that Brink's employees are allowed to buy error
coins at face value. This would include errors that don't fit in the coin
counting / rolling machine.

I would assume they were rolling quarters and the Sacagawea dollar stood out
like a sore thumb.

>>>I'd like to know how come its MS-65. Seems a touch high for a bag find.<<<

Well...if you don't get a business strike coin from a Mint set, it originally
came from a bag....that's how the Fed ships them.

+++++++++++++++

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
I have mixed feelings on this. Not sure what to think.

I believe some searching is probably done, if the rules permitted it.

Ive suspected my service has employees that must cherry pick occasionally,
but as long as its sporadic, Ill live with it. I still get a nice box here
and there :)

Good luck all.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
I've been trying to get to the bottom of this, and have talked to some more bullion dealers and a few bank branch managers. (Still haven't talked to any Brinks employees unfortunately. I'd really like to hear their side of the story, especially off the record.) Everyone I've talked to has said basically the same thing. All the Brinks locations are run pretty much independently of one another. Can anyone else confirm this? At _some_ locations, the Brinks employees do indeed cherrypick, even though they're not supposed to. The cameras and security are meaningless if no one watches them or if those who watch the cameras partake in the CRHing. Some abide by the rules. Others don't. Three coin dealers I talked to recently have said that they see a lot of Brinks employees bringing in halves. Interestingly, the topic came up when I asked about a new Walker I saw for sale. I asked the dealer how often does he see Walkers come in, and he said not too often, but that one came from his friend that works for Brinks. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I do agree with bigtime that our worst enemy is ourselves. It's too easy to find a whipping boy like Brinks, but for me, the jury is still out on this topic. So far, I've been skunked on 5 straight boxes this month. My best find has been a 2004 (I forget the mintmark) I found under the floormat in my car. hahaha. I did receive a Bahamian penny and a Canadian penny in change today, though. Very fun, but still a little underwhelming after all the silver I found last month. After the weather clears up, I want to really go all out and find some silver. As regards my location, I just moved to Columbus, Ohio. Lotsa good free coin counters, but very little silver.

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I remember when I first started crh one year ago. I called the Downtown Federal Reserve and asked if it was possible to purchase boxes of half dollars from them. I had already assumed they would tell me no,but I still thought why not ask. The woman at the Federal Reserve said they do not sell to the public. She told me to try contacting one of the armored car companies that delivers the coins,maybe they would be she wasn't sure. I contacted Brinks one year ago and I spoke with a manager and asked if I could purchase boxes of halves. Of course he told me no,but you can order them from your bank. Then somehow we got onto the conversation of collecting coins, I think he started it. So I asked him, do you see a lot of older halves? He told me maybe 10+ years ago he would see all sorts of old coins come thru often. He even saw Peace and Morgan dollars back then. The manager was friendly and wished me luck in my collecting.

After that telephone call of course I started ordering boxes from one bank. I had a LOT of success finding boxes loaded with silver, 30-40 halves in a box. Even Walkers and Franklins were found often. After 5 or 6 months from ordering boxes from this bank I started getting skunk boxes for about 2 months straight. That's when the teller asked me if I was dropping off my halves at a certain bank on a certain street. :o The Brinks employee worked the route for both banks and had figured out where I was dropping the halves at. So I tried ordering one more week and again I found nothing. I went back to the bank to tell the teller that I didn't find anything unusual in the boxes and she said I think Brinks is just picking up the halves you are sending back and wrapping them and sending them back to me when I order the box for you. She suggested to stop buying boxes for a while and try again later.
I did stop buying boxes from that bank and I found a new bank to buy from.

I ordered boxes from the new bank and again I found a lot of silver halves from the start. After 4 months of ordering I again started to receive skunk boxes. However, I know for a fact that this bank and bank where I drop of the halves are NOT on the same delivery/pick up route. So either that means that I have exhausted the silver supply at this bank or the Brinks is bringing boxes with no silver and they are aware of that! I stopped ordering halves at this bank for about three weeks and I just placed an order last week with the teller. That's when she said that Brinks may start charging for the boxes. She said they know they are not for business use,that it is for personal use and the halves are being searched and returned. She said she would try to order two boxes for me to pick up next week. My best guess is that they will be skunk boxes, but I just have want to see what's going to happen since I haven't ordered any for the last three weeks.

The other bank that I still order from and have done so for approximately 5 months, I still find silver. Not is huge amounts but not all skunk boxes. I do receive a fair share of skunk boxes as well. I believe that the silver is being depleted in this area from many coin roll hunters. I know there is one or two other people that search and order in this area. However, it doesn't seem that Brinks has any problem providing boxes to this bank and I don't think Brinks is searching the halves at least not in this area.

So my guess is that some of the Brinks areas do try look thru the coins when they can,provided they can get away with it. I think some of the Brinks facilities have employees that probably are all in on it including the manager so it's done. Where other Brinks facilities have an honest manager as well as fairly honest employees and won't bother to check. Not saying that everyone in every facility is honest or dishonest but I think they are those facilities that more likely to search than others.

OP
OP
D

DOCC77

Jan 13, 2007
To All...

I didnt mean to start a ruckus over this.I was just wondering why some people in certain areas of the country got good boxes and others in other parts of the country were getting skunked.thats why i did some researching.
All the Brinks guy said I spoke to was what I stated and then told me good luck and searching was going to be slim pickins.thats it I was just wondering who was finding what and what areas of the country were doing better because it.I do apologize if I started a WHO-HAH over this.It wasnt my intentions.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in a suburb of Minneapolis/St. Paul in Minnesota.

I have been tracking what I get from what bank and I have noticed what appears to be a significant disparity in dimes and halves at Brinks provided banks from others.

Using numbers from 2007 only, but the numbers seem similar to 2006 from what I remember especially in the halves.

Dimes:
Out of 4 sealed boxes of dimes from banks serviced by Brinks (I only can count sealed boxes since the clear plastic rolls would potentially allow the tellers to cherrypick themselves on any lesser amount so it isn't a fair comparison):
1 silver dime
3 Canadian coins

Out of just under 7 boxes (341 rolls) of dimes from banks not serviced by Brinks:
11 silver dimes
20 Canadian dimes

Quarters:
I won't count quarters since I know my sample size is insufficient for comparison (however the only silver quarter I have found this year was from a non Brinks bank.)

Halves:
Out of just over 4 boxes (212 rolls) of halves from banks serviced by Brinks:
3 - 40% Kennedy
No foreign coins

Out of just under 6 boxes (291 rolls) of halves from banks not serviced by Brinks (note that 100 of the rolls were unc 2000-P):
2 Walkers
1 Franklin
3 - 90% Kennedy
7 - 40% Kennedy
1 Foreign coin

The numbers for wheat pennies and pre-1960 nickels are roughly the same for both types of banks.

Although this is not a huge sample size, it is consistent with what I had from 2006 which is a much larger sample size. Although it is possible, I doubt there is much of a difference between customers turning in coin at one bank versus another in regards to the mix available.

What I believe is more likely the cause is that some Brinks rolling machines have less tolerance with regards to coin weight than the rolling machines of other rolling companies. Note that the weight of a silver dime is slightly different than that of a clad dime. Same thing applies to quarter and halves, but not to pennies and nickels. Therefore, the machines are probably set to kick out all the coins that do not match for weight or size. Unfortunately, this means that they kick out a majority of the silver and foreign coins as well (at least for dimes, quarters, and halves). Since I am sure not all Brinks subdivisions have the same equipment and some is older, those Brinks subdivisions with older rolling equipment probably still allow the silver to pass through as the tolerances are not as tight.

This is also likely how the Brinks employees would be able to acquire coins while not sacrificing the integrity of the rolling operation. They are probably just picking through the reject pile and replacing the coins they want with clad.

Also note that although I was specifically using Brinks as the armored company which appears to be different, the same could also apply to any other coin rolling operation if they set their equipment tolerances up properly to reject the silver.

And on the front of CRHers being our own worst enemy, I am quite certain someone has been turning in searched halves to a bank serviced by Brinks locally for some time as many of the halves I receive from them have lines down the side. I am sure Brinks is not doing this so it may be a combination of both.

Once again these are just my suspicions as I have no proof that this happens, but since I also noticed a lack of foreign coins in the Brinks rolls, I suspect something like this is occurring at least locally for me. Also might explain why some areas of the country appear to be better than others.

And unfortunately if this is happening, it is likely happening because of people complaining about too many foreign coins mixed in their rolls. So I would have a hard time faulting Brinks for the improvement. Doesn't mean I like it, but I would have a hard time faulting them for making it from their customer service perspective.

HCRHing and lets hope I am wrong on my suspicions.

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Dont forget to put your locations!!!
GMan00001 said:
What I believe is more likely the cause is that some Brinks rolling machines have less tolerance with regards to coin weight than the rolling machines of other rolling companies. Note that the weight of a silver dime is slightly different than that of a clad dime. Same thing applies to quarter and halves, but not to pennies and nickels. Therefore, the machines are probably set to kick out all the coins that do not match for weight or size. Unfortunately, this means that they kick out a majority of the silver and foreign coins as well (at least for dimes, quarters, and halves). Since I am sure not all Brinks subdivisions have the same equipment and some is older, those Brinks subdivisions with older rolling equipment probably still allow the silver to pass through as the tolerances are not as tight.
Now that I could belive. The coin counting equipment is getting better to detect the diffrence in weight. However the only problem with that one is. I am still getting holed coins. Some bigger then others.... and as far as I know they are all rolled by brinks. Clad coins still wear... that takes away weight too. so they cant be that tight. Also.... I got a 45 s from a brinks rolled box that the date was practically gone. How did that get there? I would imagine that some of them do get picked. But I would also imagine that if this is their buisness most of the work is automated. And if you just think about 100 coin roll hunters turning in a couple thousand dollars of halfs a week plus all the others im sure its like a needle in a haystack to them.

Also I just started back coin roll hunting. at first when I was getting them a skunk box was non existant. Every box had something! All brinks wrapped boxes. $30000 in halfs later......... not fiding as much. I still get stuff... but it has seemed to slowed down. Coincidence?

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
DOCC77 said:
To All...

I didnt mean to start a ruckus over this.I was just wondering why some people in certain areas of the country got good boxes and others in other parts of the country were getting skunked.thats why i did some researching.
All the Brinks guy said I spoke to was what I stated and then told me good luck and searching was going to be slim pickins.thats it I was just wondering who was finding what and what areas of the country were doing better because it.I do apologize if I started a WHO-HAH over this.It wasnt my intentions.

No ruckus here. :) LOL We like speculating about what might be going on and sharing our crh experiences. You don't need to apologize for anything. Besides we all have our own theories about what's going on. ;)

OP
OP
D

DOCC77

Jan 13, 2007
I appreciate that.I just was frustrated to go thru 22 boxes in a two month time slot and find 1 coin...too many skunks for myself and others to be a coincidence.So I thought Id ask for a review of all of us who CRH..Thanks!!!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muncie, Indiana

Not sure of who supplies my coins here.... but my boxes tend to be pretty bad lately except for two really good ones. The rest have been skunks or 1 or 2 per box.

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Here is my take on the boxes of Half Dollars after starting CRH last May. I have always had wide results, from nothing (Skunk) boxes, to pretty good. But while I had quite a few no silver boxes last year, there were very few nothing (Skunk) boxes. Even the worst boxes had a couple 2002+ coins or a clad S proof. This year, the bad boxes are Total Skunks. I have opened the last 4 boxes with absolutely no keepers, and right now my bank has 6 more boxes with the exact same date stamp waiting for someone to buy them.

As far as what is up, I think EVERYONE is probably correct. The half dollars are such a special case, that all of the guesses are probably true. Remember, there have been no new half dollar bags delivered from the mint since 2000/2001. If you ask the Federal Reserve Bank, they will tell you the do not store or physically deal in half dollars anymore (although they DO control the disbursement of them). Every non-collector half dollar issued prior to 2000 is in the hands of the depositories or in the hand of collectors (or was melted in the 1970s when silver skyrocketed). For the last six or seven years, we are all searching the same pool of coins, which have a virtually nonexistent circulation. The last bastion of circulation was the casinos which had to order some now and then to make up for those taken home as souvenirs, and now the casinos have stopped using the halves. I am beginning to agree that all the silver we find is from theft turn-in to banks, estate turn-in when collectors die, or unknowing kids/spouses needing spending money. Since many people under 25 have never even held a half dollar, it is the reason the tellers (especially younger ones) just put the coins in the counter and send them off.

I also noticed last year as silver neared $14-$15, there was an increase of activity here, and a decrease in the amount of silver in the boxes. I guess we can blame the news services on that. Of course, if there is ever a episode of "Best Places to Hunt For Cash and Treasure" about Coin Roll Hunting, it will be game over, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread