Anyone know how much this penny is worth?

Aug 11, 2013
Newport RI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,
About 15 years ago I came across this penny. I had it for so long I got attached to it and don't want to sell it. But anyway I never really researched it and when I tried to, I only came across information about double die, or cracked skulls, BIE..etc.. Well this penny is much cooler than any of that! It has the Lincoln memorial partially stamped over Lincolns head. I wanted some information about this coin. Has anyone ever seen a coin like this before? And how the heck did this happen? Also im curious what THIS misprinted coin would sell for! I see on ebay that Double Die pennys mainly in 1955 go for quit a bit 1500.00 and more..

So I posted mine on ebay starting bid 1500.00..

Misprint RARE Penny 1972 | eBay

Please check out the coin and give me some feedback! Im just so curious about it

Thanks everyone Rick

Attachments

• super penny.jpg
    super penny.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 0

hrnewsome

Jun 19, 2013
Why are you posting it on eBay if you don't want to sell it?

If I don't find silver it's not because I'm not looking!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Take it to a coin show and show it to numerous people. See if they all agree on what it is, and what caused it. I think they will.

And I won't be the one to break your bubble. Sorry. But take it to those who know. And don't compare it to a 1955 double die. Not the same thing. I'd have to see it to confirm what I think it is, but take it there. Why not let some experts look at it and get a REAL opinion, instead of just people here? You'll get a more accurate answer. Good luck to you with it. :-)

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I agree glue, but it could be a clashed die maybe? I agree with taking it to multiple experts. I think it is glue though.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
But if it was glue how would you be able to see the T & Y in liberty? Just a thought
You can see it. It's hidden behind the pillars of the memorial but you can see it. You can see all the other details behind the glue as well.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
As much cent volume you do and you've only pulled 3? I've pulled probably a roll's worth of glue covered ones. :) - DS

Well with the memorial on the back upside down like that. I haven't done THAT much. I wouldn't doubt that many members on here have done more than me over their years.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well with the memorial on the back upside down like that. I haven't done THAT much. I wouldn't doubt that many members on here have done more than me over their years.

I've done about $700 or so. Mine are usually glue with glitter mixed in!

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Coins that are altered after they leave the mint are worth face.

I don't know of any minting error that would cause this coin.

If you list the coin on eBay for less, say $50, you might catch a sucker.

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say clashed die. Not nearly worth that much sorry. I've seen these go for $5-20 or less

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is glue, pure and simple. You see the edge of the splatter. Take a small needle to the edge and it will chip off.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Stick it in acetone and see what happens. Make sure to do it near an open window and not near a flame. Let us know what you get.

Maine_Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread