Friday produced AMAZING Results

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to bad weather I had to wait until Friday to pick up my $1500 in halves from my bank. Boy was it worth the wait!

My results are:

1 1892 Columbus Half Dollar
1 1946 Booker T Washington Half Dollar
10 Walkers
10 Franklins
12 90% Kens
21 40% Kens

55 Total silver halves!

In the previous $10,000 done so far this year I had only found 62, so 55 in one day was certainly nice. What's even crazier is that one was even a skunk!

02-16-07.JPG

02-16-07-2.JPG

Upvote 0

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
happy to see that you'll luck turned around got love the walkers

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Wow-
I've never even heard of the Columbus or Booker T.
Are they valuable and rare?

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TXTim said:
Wow-
I've never even heard of the Columbus or Booker T.
Are they valuable and rare?

They were commemoratives. If they were perfect they would be maybe $10 coins, but in their condition they aren't really worth much more than their bullion value.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Brian! Great finds.I haven't found any commemorative silver yet.Cool deal. 8)
I guess all hope is not lost.I'm gonna keep trying,it's been a long dry spell though.Congrats.

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
:o Yep that is one amazing box alright!!!! I've never seen the Columbian half or the comm Booker T Washington,super nice!!! Is the Columbian half rare and how much is it aproximately worth with the hole?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! ;D

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennyworth said:
:o Yep that is one amazing box alright!!!! I've never seen the Columbian half or the comm Booker T Washington,super nice!!! Is the Columbian half rare and how much is it aproximately worth with the hole?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! ;D

With the hole it's worth about $5 or so. Without the hole pcgs.com lists it at $17, but I doubt you could get that much for it.

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
I agree the booker T and Columbus are good finds. I have gotten some foreign halves but no commemoratives.
Its nice to get some varitety!

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go man, I told you things would pick up................even if you didn't pick up a Barber :)

Enjoy the rush you're feeling right now.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thurmownator said:
Way to go man, I told you things would pick up................even if you didn't pick up a Barber :)

Enjoy the rush you're feeling right now.

Technically it is the same year as a Barber would be, so I think you were right on the money.... now it's time for you to predict a Seated Half in my future ;)

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
morris0863 said:
could you tell if the major finds were from an older batch or dated box?

Oddly enough, every box of mine since Mid-December has been dated October 23, 2006, even these 3 boxes. Most have held virtually nothing. There has been no rhyme nor reason to any of them to date.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
wow! :o i had a feeling your luck was gonna change soon! looks like it just did! well done! ;)

morris0863

Feb 11, 2007
Saginaw, MI
bscofield6 said:
morris0863 said:

Oddly enough, every box of mine since Mid-December has been dated October 23, 2006, even these 3 boxes. Most have held virtually nothing. There has been no rhyme nor reason to any of them to date.

Well there goes the Brinks Sorting Idea

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote from: bscofield6 on Today at 06:25:38 PM
Quote from: morris0863 on Today at 06:24:07 PM

Well there goes the Brinks Sorting Idea

Which Brinks Sorting Idea? The one on the other thread? If so, it doesn't change anything. Each Brinks location can be and most likely is different (different equipment, different personnel, etc.)

Great finds, btw. Wish I could get something out of half dollar boxes, my only good finds are from asking around. Hopefully I'll find something tuesday (2 boxes on order from a different bank, see what happens).

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvershark said:
Do you only search Fed. boxes?

or do you go for loose coins?

-SS

I basically only search boxes. Finding loose coins in my town is nearly impossible. There are several other half searchers and no bank ever has any loose halves.

You get virtually the same response at every bank here in town... Oh we have a guy who comes in every week and buys whatever we have.... or.... Somebody was just in here this morning and bought them all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread