How do you do it?

silvershark

Feb 1, 2007
Illinois
I have been Roll hunting now for about 3 weeks and I have noticed that some of the tellers from my area are starting to become annoyed with my bringing in pennies, dimes and halves. I can't really go to too many banks because around here they wont accept any loose coins. Most of the banks have counting machines out in the lobby but they charge like 8%. There is no way that I am going to lose that much just to cash them in.

My question is how do you do it?
Is there some unwritten rule that I have missed?

-SS

Upvote 0

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the ones with a coin counter will waive the fee if you have an account with them. Also try credit unions, they might have a coin counter and no fees.

Then take all of your returns to that one branch.

Get to know the tellers, be nice to them, take them candy, munchies, etc. ;)

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since I'm am younger most tellers really don't care about my coins. when they ask i just tell them i am roll hunting and I'm trying to find coins to fill up my book. some even offer to help me look, this one guy down the street owns a small store. he gives me all the silver dimes he finds.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
At my local dump bank, I brought all the tellers boxes of chocolates for valentines day, and said "Thanks for putting up with me and my coins." They thought it was really sweet, and make sure you tell them you appreciate them, and they'll be happy to help. A little kindness goes a long way. I bring in all my halves rolled back up, and they never seem to mind. They don't have a coin counter in my town, at least one visible to the public.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
That's a really good point, scotto. A little kindness goes a long way to make someone's day, and with this hobby, it's also profitable! ;D

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scotto said:
....A little kindness goes a long way. I bring in all my halves rolled back up, and they never seem to mind.
Repeat after me. "Tellers are not your enemy" (in most cases)

They may not know what a fifty cent piece is, like at my last dump bank. She asked "are these half dollars" as she looked at the roll that said "$10 HALF DOLLARS" I thought of a few smart alec replies I could have said but just said yes and then started asking her questions like, do people ever bring very many here? and do people ever ask for any? (no to both made it a good dump bank)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread