atexaspete

Greenie
Oct 16, 2013
VA
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II, ML X-Terra 705, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got 2 - 5 gallon buckets of pennies I have been collecting (not really collecting, but throwing pocket change into) for over 30 years. Decided to roll them up and get rid of them. After reading some on here, thought I'd go through them to see if there is anything worth keeping.
Question is: what am I looking for (besides the obvious indian head pennies). Specific dates? Specific timeframes?
Would like some advice before I potentially send these back into the "system".

Thanks,
Mike

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got 2 - 5 gallon buckets of pennies I have been collecting (not really collecting, but throwing pocket change into) for over 30 years. Decided to roll them up and get rid of them. After reading some on here, thought I'd go through them to see if there is anything worth keeping.
Question is: what am I looking for (besides the obvious indian head pennies). Specific dates? Specific timeframes?
Would like some advice before I potentially send these back into the "system".

Thanks,
Mike

Theres a great thread for newbies in the sticky section up top- id suggest reading through that

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Suggest to also get a current 2013 Red Book, to be able to grade and price some good looking coins. Don't just dump them into the system, but maybe eBay or some of us CHR's here onTN.

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
This is a good site. Coin Values Discovery
Has each kind of coin and tells you the years that are collectible and in what condition. Just cause it's old doesn't always mean it's worth something if it was circulated.

Will45

Sep 1, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennies: The last year of wheats were 1958
so I'd keep anything before that date.

Nickels: 1942-1945 are silver wartime nickels, Buffalo nickels are also worth keeping pre 1938 except in Denver which minted Buffalos in 1938.

Dimes: Pre 1965 are silver

Quarters: Pre 1965 are silver

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
I'd also suggest anything on about.com cause that site that I gave prior doesn't have some stuff. Well at least I didn't find it. Like Ike dollars, Sacajawea dollars etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread