Do you search every coin or just edge search?

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
BS. A blind person can easily search for silver (other than nickels) just as effectively as someone with 20/10 vision. In fact, the sound test is more accurate than the ol' eyeball-the-rim-only method.

Coin after coin after coin surely there is a greater margin of error by listening than by looking. Especially 40%ers. Sound test is more accurate for judging whether or not a coin is silver, it's not accurate when used in bulk for 2000+ coins. Also coins like dimes, they are so small it's hard to differentiate the sound difference between clad and ag.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin after coin after coin surely there is a greater margin of error by listening than by looking. Especially 40%ers. Sound test is more accurate for judging whether or not a coin is silver, it's not accurate when used in bulk for 2000+ coins. Also coins like dimes, they are so small it's hard to differentiate the sound difference between clad and ag.

Nope. Sorry. A sound test is always more accurate than a rim-check. Unless, you're one of those that for whatever reason cannot hear the sound of silver. Dunno if its slight hearing damage or what, but some cannot. My father cannot. I know I can hear a silver coin hit a table from across the room. My first silver coin find was when I was a small child way back in the 1970's. We were in the drug store and I was perusing the comic books near the cash register. A woman paid her bill in change and I heard a silver dime hit the counter. My dad gave me a dollar to buy a comic and I got the change in all dimes and scored the coin.

Silver coins, especially 40% halves, can often look VERY much like a CuNi clad from just a visual rim inspection. However, it ALWAYS sounds like silver, regardless of what it looks like. There's been a few over the years that I would have missed if not for the sound.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry I don't agree. Sure they both work, but using my eyes ill be able to check them 4x as fast.

I'm talking accuracy, not speed. No more silver than I find, I cannot afford to overlook any silver coins whatsoever.

At any rate, it only takes a couple of seconds at most to sound check a roll. I guarantee that if you rim-check only, you have missed some 40%ers.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm talking accuracy, not speed. No more silver than I find, I cannot afford to overlook any silver coins whatsoever.

At any rate, it only takes a couple of seconds at most to sound check a roll. I guarantee that if you rim-check only, you have missed some 40%ers.

May be true, but I'm happy with the 500+ coins I've pulled in less than 4 months

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is a good method of sound checking? Dropping coins one at a time on a table?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May be true, but I'm happy with the 500+ coins I've pulled in less than 4 months

Seriously? You want to make this a peeing contest? I've pulled more than double that in 1 day.

I remember being young and thought my way was always the right way. I now wish I had listened more and talked less back then.

I was just trying to help you add a little more to your stash. Do it your way.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm almost 100% on the rim check on halves. With that being said, I have around 10 silvers that would have gotten dumped if I wasn't sound checking, too. The sound check does not really add much time to the hunt. I get through a box of halves in 10-15 minutes by rim and sound checking. I could probably trim that down to 7 minutes if I didn't sound check, but it's not worth it for me. I've had all kinds of silvers that look nothing like silver. From black, to brand new clad-looking, to dirty brown, to green. The rim check is reliable, but it is not 100%. I don't think the sound check is 100% on its own either because I've been getting a run of the really rounded edge worn out halves that sound almost like silver depending on how they are dropped.

When I started I would date check every coin. Not only did that take a ton of time per box, it also meant that I wasn't checking mint marks, which made that hunt even less reliable than a rim or sound check. For you guys that check every date and mint mark I give you credit for having incredible patience. If I had tried that when I was getting 20+ boxes per week I would have had to quit my job.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Seriously? You want to make this a peeing contest? I've pulled more than double that in 1 day.

I remember being young and thought my way was always the right way. I now wish I had listened more and talked less back then.

I was just trying to help you add a little more to your stash. Do it your way.

How am I making this a pissing contest? I was simply saying I was astonished with the amount of silver I've found. And you know what, that's great you've found over 1,000 coins in one day, do I really care, can't say I do. And thinking my ways the best? Lol. I've talked to Tim, Streatwalker, and SM, and combined all their strategies. All doing between 100 and 300 boxes a month. You say you were just trying to help add to my stash, how do? All I hear is criticism.

Sorry guys ^_^ I'm not usually like this.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm almost 100% on the rim check on halves. With that being said, I have around 10 silvers that would have gotten dumped if I wasn't sound checking, too. The sound check does not really add much time to the hunt. I get through a box of halves in 10-15 minutes by rim and sound checking. I could probably trim that down to 7 minutes if I didn't sound check, but it's not worth it for me. I've had all kinds of silvers that look nothing like silver. From black, to brand new clad-looking, to dirty brown, to green. The rim check is reliable, but it is not 100%. I don't think the sound check is 100% on its own either because I've been getting a run of the really rounded edge worn out halves that sound almost like silver depending on how they are dropped.

When I started I would date check every coin. Not only did that take a ton of time per box, it also meant that I wasn't checking mint marks, which made that hunt even less reliable than a rim or sound check. For you guys that check every date and mint mark I give you credit for having incredible patience. If I had tried that when I was getting 20+ boxes per week I would have had to quit my job.

Well said. I fully agree.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm seeing some dirty looking edges, but just newer coins that are dirty. I'd kick myself if I missed something by only edge searching so going coin by coin. Plus I have the backup of stuff getting rejected in the coin machine when I dump them.

I dumped a 1964 dime in the coin star to do a silver check, it kept it. It almost had no wear on the dime. Please don't count it as a backup as it is not. I learned this first hand.

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do exactly the same thing, it is not worth missing a silver to save 5 minutes of time.
In the clear plastic wrappers I always opened them because of glare and such- I still only rim searched them though

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rim check and sound check-- and believe it or not, I can sound check a silver dime amongst clad. I've done it too many times... (missed a dime by edge checking but got it by sound checking)... it's a difficult thing to pick up but once you have it down, you won't miss any silver dimes. I must have saved 20+ dimes this way.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Probably not the only thing you've pulled in the last 4 months...

But I have to side with Arkie here - he was only offering advice. And he is totally right. I almost threw a dirty Ben away that I missed edge checking. And Ive been doing this for 25 years. i noticed it when it fell in the bag & hit another coin. 40s are much more deceptive. And how can you estimate how many you have or haven't missed if you don't do a sound check? You're just assuming that you caught them all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread