Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mom and I normally get together every couple of weeks for dinner and to search a box of cents. We've missed a couple weeks due to my work schedule. This week we met on Sunday, instead of our normal Saturday. Our regular spot is closed on Sunday...as were the other local restaurants in the town where we meet. Fortunately we had plenty of chain restaurant choices...we picked Pizza Hut.

It's a good thing we weren't starving as it took forever to get our pizza. Which is funny since only one other table was occupied while we were there.

I brought the coins this time. I brought $20 in cents and $20 in nickels. The finds were roughly average in quantity. I found 6 wheats and 3 Canadian Pennies. Mom only got 3 wheats and one Canadian Penny. No dimes or other foreign coins. What was cool about this week's finds was that we each broke the 1940 barrier. I snagged a '39 wheat and Mom (once again) got the oldest coin a '35 wheat. I got the oldest Canadian Cent--a '64.

The nickels didn't provide much. I got a couple of pre-1960 nickels and Mom got a '99 Canadian Nickel. No War or Indian Head Nickels, but a ton of 2013 nickels in several of the rolls.

One date we nearly always find is '44. It's become almost a joke as we find so many of this date. So we decided to try something new. I'll be getting us a blank penny book. I'll bring it each time we meet and every '44 goes into the book. Our goal is to see how long it takes to fill the book.

Upvote 0

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find a lot of 1944 and 1946d wheats. I find them more than any other 1940's wheats. Happy hunting!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go through a box of half dollars with my 89 year old grandfather every Sunday, this week I will be seeing him on Friday and Sunday as well, he loves it since he lives independently on his own and gets lonely. this is the best way to spend time with somebody who also loves the hobby.
The real treasure isn't the food or the coins you find, but rather the company you keep.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet! not sure who to cheer for more so gonna cheer for both.
I like your style of C.R.H.
Best of luck and many,many, happy hunts to you both.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread