Safe deposit box

Humboldt

Oct 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious how many of you use them.
I have a few other things I could throw into one, but am considering putting my silver there (short of the stuff I want to see on a daily basis).

One of my bank accounts offers a free box so I figure, why not?
I live in what's rapidly becoming a high-crime area, both of my immediate neighbors have been robbed, and I work 45 hours per week on a set schedule.

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Problems with banks and deposit boxes.

If you keep money in a bank,basically it is no longer yours.To be yours it has to be in your possession.The same applies to your belongings in a safety deposit box.Just ask the people who live in Cyprus.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do keep a safe at home, be very careful not to let that information out. People will torture & kill to get to it, that's the scary part about home safes to me.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
If you do keep a safe at home, be very careful not to let that information out. People will torture & kill to get to it, that's the scary part about home safes to me.

god dang it, that's why you get yourself a second safe. Hide it some place clever to. And fill that one up with cc's, chinese counterfiets. That will teach them.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all who are worried about perps with guns, please don't tell me you are anti gun. Let me tell you, if some a-hole is stupid enough to come in here armed with the intention of "torturing" he is not leaving upright. Simple as that.

Armorer73

Mar 1, 2013
California City, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab X-Terra
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you live in the country, you have a lot more options towards hiding and protecting your stash than someone in the city. This is one of the many things I'm looking forward to when I move back to the country.

I like the idea of stashing it and placing a document of their coordinates in the safe deposit box. It would need to be somewhat veiled so that if the box was compromised the thieves would not be able to figure it out.

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
god dang it, that's why you get yourself a second safe. Hide it some place clever to. And fill that one up with cc's, chinese counterfiets. That will teach them.

Ive got it! Put a second safe inside a bigger safe. Hows that for protection

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all who are worried about perps with guns, please don't tell me you are anti gun. Let me tell you, if some a-hole is stupid enough to come in here armed with the intention of "torturing" he is not leaving upright. Simple as that.

Of course I'm not anti-gun as I'm guessing holds true for most silver stashers. Even though I live in an area where I'd feel moderately safe not even locking my doors at night, I even have a few strategically located and hidden throughout the house. Also, my state is a concealed carry state. I consider myself a very good shot. None of that guarantees "victory" in a gun battle. A group of thieves, or even a single thief, with a well thought out and executed plan would have a very good chance at success regardless of how many guns you have or how well you can shoot.

I choose to try to avoid the battle if at all possible. I think keeping my stash at the bank in a SDB reduces the chance of that battle happening.

That does not guarantee me "victory" in a gunfight I have no desire to participate in.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course I'm not anti-gun as I'm guessing holds true for most silver stashers. Even though I live in an area where I'd feel moderately safe not even locking my doors at night, I even have a few strategically located and hidden throughout the house. Also, my state is a concealed carry state. I consider myself a very good shot. None of that guarantees "victory" in a gun battle. A group of thieves, or even a single thief, with a well thought out and executed plan would have a very good chance at success regardless of how many guns you have or how well you can shoot.

I choose to try to avoid the battle if at all possible. I think keeping my stash at the bank in a SDB reduces the chance of that battle happening.

That does not guarantee me "victory" in a gunfight I have no desire to participate in.

All very true, and yet a SDB will not protect against this either. I guess it comes down to choosing risk.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have spent years getting the Silver out of banks, that last place I would take it to keep it safe is a bank:tongue3:. There are plenty of places to hide it in your house that no one would ever find it. Good luck on what ever you choose to do. Now, as far as someone coming in my house to take stuff or harm me or my family, they will see the barrel of my Mossberg 12 gauge and that will be the last thing they see. HH, Maverick.

Attachments

• DSCN6286.JPG
    DSCN6286.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 98

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What bothers me more, and there's greater chance of, is fire.

The better quality cabinet safes are rated for as long as 90 minutes of fire exposure. There is a vid out there somewhere of an experiment where they put a safe inside an old home and burned it down. The entire home burned around the safe yet the contents were fine.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have spent years getting the Silver out of banks, that last place I would take it to keep it safe is a bank:tongue3:. There are plenty of places to hide it in your house that no one would ever find it. Good luck on what ever you choose to do. Now, as far as someone coming in my house to take stuff or harm me or my family, they will see the barrel of my Mossberg 12 gauge and that will be the last thing they see. HH, Maverick.

i never thought i'd see the day where someone melted silver into the form of a shotgun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread