What A Day! 15 Banks and $1970 In Halves + 3 Boxes From Yesterday Photo Update

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Yesterday I went to two banks to pick up 3 boxes of halves. The one bank is new to me,and it's the first box I ordered from there, found one 1964 halve. The box was opened when I received it,which I'm sure the teller opened it just from her conversation with me. However, I could tell that none of the rolls had been opened. She asked me what I was going to do with all of the halves and I simply told her I collect halves and try to fill my books. Then she said her husband also collects coins.

Onto the second bank to pick up 2 boxes of halves. This is the same bank I had been ordering from,but had received a month worth of skunk boxes so I stopped ordering from this bank for about a month. I just placed the order last week after one month of not ordering and both boxes again were skunks. One of the boxes was taped with plastic packing tape, it had no brown paper tape that Brinks uses. I know for sure that this bank branch that Brinks is delivering to is most definitely providing me with boxes that contain no silver. OK, fine I will not order from this bank again.

Today I went on a day long drive thru many counties,and cities; I probabably stopped at approximately 15 banks. I bought a total of $1970.00 in halves today, rolled and loose. I found 31-40% silver halves, 1 Franklin and 5-1964 halves. I also found a foreign coin(see photos). It seems as though I ran into a city where there is another crh,as 3 banks had rolls of halves with his address label on them. There were quite a few rolls by this person, so I could tell he is definitely a crh. One of those banks that I stopped at, I of course asked if they had any halves available. The teller said yes, how many do you want and I said how many do you have? She said I can't tell you that. I questioned her as to why she couldn't tell me and she said it wouldn't be wise. OK, now I knew something was up but wasn't exactly sure yet. So then I said I'll take a couple hundred dollars worth, and she comes back with $100.00 in halves. Then I said is that all that you have, and she said did you want more? I said yes I want all that you have,she went back to the vault to retreive them. She comes back with $70.00 more in halves. Then I said is that all of them? She wasn't sure what to say or how to say it and then I said well....and she we have more halves but I can't sell them to you. I said why not and she said we are giving them to someone else. >:(
LOL OK, so now I knew what was up, the rolls I had just purchased were all searched! I felt like saying I don't want these take them back, but whatever I took them and left. But I thought,that's really nice! ::)

So then I went to a bank a block away on the same road and I asked to purchased halves. A teller went to vault and brought out $80.00 in halves. So I'm getting ready to leave and the other teller at the next window, an older woman says do you do anything unusual with the halves and I said I collect them, and try to fill up my books. So then she pulls a 1943 Walker, 2 Franklins and 3-1964 Kennedy halves and said these are collectible. I said those are very nice, in a calm tone but I was thinking you b*tch! I know that's not nice,but I knew she was just trying to get a rise out of me. Then she said are the bicentennial halves worth anything and I said well there were a lot of those minted, and then she said then they are probably only worth face value. Whatever lady, go play with your 6 silver halves and have a good time. ROFL

So I headed out to a town where I had called the day before to ask if they had halves and was told they had $660.00 in halves but the teller asked me on the telephone if I had an account with them and I told her no. The teller said we don't sell them unless you have an account or you could purchase them and pay a fee of $10.00. I said well I don't want to pay a fee. So I asked about a saving account,minimal balance, interest and some other questions. I told her I would be in today to open an account and buy the halves,and she ok we'll hold them for you. I got to the bank and she said a man called this morning asking about halves, I don't know if they are still here. So she went to vault and they were still there,and I asked to see them first. So then I went into an office to open a savings account. I gave them my drivers license,credit card but I didn't have my social security card on me. I wasn't thinking that I needed to bring it,and this bank is about an hour and a half away. So then the woman said well do you have access to a fax machine and I said not really,then she said can you bring the card back to tomorrow and I said no do see where I live? I said I'm only opening the account to buy the rolls of halves,that's it. Then she said well we can verify your social security number but it will take about an hour if you have something in town to do. I did have things in town to do,but at this point I was annoyed and I said forget it I don't want to open the account. Then I said I don't understand why your branch has to charge to buy coins! I bought coins from a different branch and they didn't ask if I had an account and there was no fee charged. She just looked at me and didn't say anything. Then I said it's ridiculous, I've gone to plenty of banks and none of them care if I have an account to buy rolls of halves that people have turned in. Let's just say I wasn't as pleasant when I left as when I had arrived. LOL

So I went to the other banks in this town and bought all of the halves,and another teller said a man called this morning asking about buying halves; is he related to you? I said no he isn't. The silver halves that I picked up today mostly came from this small town as I figured this out as I searched them later in the evening. So all night I kept thinking I wonder if I should have passed up the $660.00 in halves at that other bank. LOL ::) I really didn't feel like keeping a minimal balance of $300.00 in this bank for at least 6 months just to buy the halves. But it's bugging me not knowing what is in those rolls. LOL :P

Then I hit one last bank where I live and I purchased one roll of halves and I also saw some halves in the teller tray and I said can I buy those too and she said sure if you want them. The halves in the tray were silver, and the roll was almost all silver. This is where the Franklin halve came from. The teller was young, and I don't think she could care less about silver halves,as she picked them up and handed them to me. I think I'm going to bring them in some Easter candy as a thank you.

All in all a good day for me, and most of the silver came from only two banks. The rest were all previously searched.

Attachments

• ForeignCoinFront1.jpg
    ForeignCoinFront1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 209
  • ForeignCoinBack1.jpg
    ForeignCoinBack1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 204
Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What A Day! 15 Banks and $1970 In Halves + 3 Boxes From Yesterday

Very nice post to read. Thanks for sharing your day with us!

It really sucks about having to open an account at that one bank and not being able to get those halves, but I've had the same problems from banks before that want you to have an account to purchase coin. I just hate it!

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Re: What A Day! 15 Banks and $1970 In Halves + 3 Boxes From Yesterday

That ain't good when you get some biddy cherry picking in front of your nose.
You should have said yes, they are collectible and that's what I'm looking for - please hand them over!

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin Pennyworth. It's Greek, denom is 10 drachmai, copper nickel and about 75¢ value.

Interesting story too. Really goes to show the ups and downs one can expect with banks.

OP
OP
Pennyworth

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Thanks for identifing the coin Immy, I didn't know what it was. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread