mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this memorial cent in a MWR. I did find another one that was similar years ago. I can't make out the year but it is a WAM and the reverse is normal. It does have some minor rim damage. Can someone tell me exactly what this is and how it is caused? Thanks for reading and looking. MM2

Attachments

• DSCN4772.JPG
    DSCN4772.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you nailed it Don. Thank you.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a tough call as to whether the Error resulted from a Capped Die Strike at the Mint or is a Man-Made Error to appear as a Capped Die Strike but I am going to say the latter. Usually a Capped Die results in the images/details being totally obliterated due to the extreme pressure and compression resulting from another planchet being in the Striking Chamber. Also, note that the Cent does not exhibit any flare or spread (i.e. the coin would normally be much larger with thicker abnormal rims) which almost always occurs with a Capped Die Strike. It is not a Full Brockage either as it does not exhibit any details from the Reverse of another Cent on the Obverse.

Frank

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the explanation Frank. I would be curious to see my coin side by side with an authenticated capped die cent just to see the differences. Maybe someone on here has the skills to do that. It would be a good learning experience for all of us. Thanks again.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the explanation Frank. I would be curious to see my coin side by side with an authenticated capped die cent just to see the differences. Maybe someone on here has the skills to do that. It would be a good learning experience for all of us. Thanks again.

It is possible that your coin is an extremely Late Capped Die Strike but I still have my reservations! The rim just does not seem to be flared and wide enough. It would be nice to see a pic of the Reverse to see if it was effected by the extra pressure created by the Capped Die. As far as your curiosity is concerned, go to the links below!

Struck Through Die Cap Lincoln Cent

http://www.jimscoins.com/images/die_cap.jpg

http://error-ref.com/Struck_through_a_late_stage_die_cap.html

Capped Die

Frank

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very neat coin MM2, I am not knowledgeable on errors but would keep that cent as well!

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took some measurements. The diameter is about .754 and the rim thickness varies from around .057/.059. Here is a pic of the reverse. Thanks again, MM2

Attachments

• DSCN4775-001.JPG
    DSCN4775-001.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 105

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I took some measurements. The diameter is about .754 and the rim thickness varies from around .057/.059. Here is a pic of the reverse. Thanks again, MM2

The Reverse appears to have a strong striking, much stronger than the majority of Zincolns (Copper plated Zinc cents). Considering this, Mackaydon's original assessment of a Capped Die Strike is probably correct but it was more than likely struck through a very late Die Cap.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Frank. I appreciated your input on this thread. It will go into a 2x2 and be labeled as a late stage capped die strike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions