Dump Banks

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably depends a lot on where you are. Where I live, I had to go through a lot of hoops to get a bank (where I have an account) to take coin-lok bags for dumping. Now I just dump at that one branch, and don't try to pick up any CWRs there.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any bank with a coin counter is automatically a dump bank for me. Whether you want to make a bank your dump bank is all up to you, just remember, you could be dumping on a honey hole.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
For small hunting <3k a week, whatevers closest when you have coins to get rid of.

If a bank gives me a hard time about ordering, I would NOT dump there. Your only going to piss them off and lose that bank- and risk getting your account shut down and losing even more branches. Just easier to move on to the next one.

For volume, I definitely think there is a science to it, I have a list of 100 banks within 20 minutes of my house, and a whole checklist (see picture).
Blue is dumps, green is weekly orders, red are banks I am banned from lol. Saves a lot of time. I fuzzes out the address and #s, no one needs to know where I live lol.

Pics.png

OP
OP
Jav

Jav

Dec 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks fellas. I gotta rethink my dump bank situation.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really easy for me: I dump at any bank that has a coin counter with a high capacity for halves that also is not serviced by my preferred supply armored car service and that has fee free account options. I currently have two main chains for dumping that meet all of the above requirements. They can handle weekly dumps of at least $15k so I haven't really had a need to search for any others.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Fishon nailed it for east coast, us west coast folks aren't so fortunate

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
How do you get banned from a bank?

Lol, some banks have banned me, some refuse to do service with me, some just ask me not to come back. They all fall under the same category as far as I am concerned.

OP
OP
Jav

Jav

Dec 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, some banks have banned me, some refuse to do service with me, some just ask me not to come back. They all fall under the same category as far as I am concerned.

That is nuts, I haven't been banned by any yet. I have a feeling a few banks I go to dislike me though. I have no clue why, i never dump at banks that supply me with coins, I spread my dumps out, I never go into the same bank more than once or twice a week, etc.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting. I haven't gotten that. I've gotten some that limit me ($500 a week, for example) but not an outright ban.

drewbaccas

Mar 8, 2013
I have small banks that either limit me to $100 a week or another bank that wants 20% on anything over $100. At 20% they might as well say don't come back. 1 branch of my regular dump banks wants 1%. I just keep looking for other dump banks and now know you have to be thick skinned to do this.

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been "banned" per se, but I did get told not to dump large quantities of straight halves at one of my favorite dump branches. It was a fave spot because their machine always churned through $1k in halves in like 3 minutes with no problems, ever. Then one day it got jammed about a month or so; took about 20 minutes to get the situation sorted out. A few weeks later I came in with a mixed-denomination dump, and suddenly the branch manager was chatting me up about my half-dollar hobby. I thought she was just being chatty, but then she started asking "is there anywhere else you can take them? Would a coin dealer take them?" (side note: LOL!) She then explained to me that the machine had recently been repaired and the service person had told her these machines weren't built to handle lots of straight halves with no other coins. (Because it has to check for dimes/cents/nickels/quarters/dollars with each coin before it counts it as a half... lots of wear and tear... yada yada). I didn't argue her point, just apologized and asked if it was okay to bring smaller quantities of halves mixed with other coins (as I had happened to do that day). She said that was fine. So I still dump there, just not straight halves.

OP
OP
Jav

Jav

Dec 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been "banned" per se, but I did get told not to dump large quantities of straight halves at one of my favorite dump branches. It was a fave spot because their machine always churned through $1k in halves in like 3 minutes with no problems, ever. Then one day it got jammed about a month or so; took about 20 minutes to get the situation sorted out. A few weeks later I came in with a mixed-denomination dump, and suddenly the branch manager was chatting me up about my half-dollar hobby. I thought she was just being chatty, but then she started asking "is there anywhere else you can take them? Would a coin dealer take them?" (side note: LOL!) She then explained to me that the machine had recently been repaired and the service person had told her these machines weren't built to handle lots of straight halves with no other coins. (Because it has to check for dimes/cents/nickels/quarters/dollars with each coin before it counts it as a half... lots of wear and tear... yada yada). I didn't argue her point, just apologized and asked if it was okay to bring smaller quantities of halves mixed with other coins (as I had happened to do that day). She said that was fine. So I still dump there, just not straight halves.

I wonder if you could just bring them in rolled instead of using the coin machine if they are worried about wear and tear? I know the banks near me with coin counters wont accept customer wrapped rolls though....

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Hell, if they don't want the wear and tear, tell them you'll bring the coin in bagged.

There is 1 bank, yes one bank, withing 30 minutes of my house with a coin counter, After seeing me every week for a month she said I was "hurting" her machine because it kept breaking down or filling up on me. I explained how I know how much coin I have and asked if I could bring them in bags. She was trilled! Although idk how much anymore lol.

Moral of the story, ask the banks with counters if you can use bags! And explain how you just want to help them out.

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been banned at at least 20 or so!!
I just love dumping on the banks , that give me a hard time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread