SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I searched $120 worth of quarters today. I usually just hunt nickels and cents. No silver but a few America the Beautiful National Park quarters I needed for my book. I think ill stay with the quarters for a while and possibly dimes too. What are the ratios of silver with quarters? (Like 1 per 40 rolls or what not) image-385346911.jpg

Upvote 0

xnytxowlx

Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
People have had luck with dimes... 1 a box (50 rolls), but I went through 10 boxes and got 2 (a 64 rosie and a 1925 80% silver Guatemala or panama coin). Not worth it to me. Id rather stick with nickels (I average a buffalo 1/3 boxes and average 2 war nicks every 3 boxes) and halves (averaging 3 silver every 2 boxes).

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done close to 20 boxes multiply that by 50 and I havent seen 1 silver qtr

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was searching quarters I was averaging 1 silver per every three or so boxes. That would be 1/150 rolls. I think most people give up on quarters before they can really figure out a true average. They do have about the worst odds out of any denomination, though.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I decided to p/u $160 in quarters yesterday myself. Not surprisingly I didn't find any silver but I did find a nice looking '79S in the last roll. I don't usually bother with quarters because I know the keepers r so hard to find but I guess I just thought I'd try some quarter rolls since a couple of other hunters have had some really good success lately. But like fish on! said I'll have to search more if I have much hope of finding any silver and deciding if I think its really worth the time to bother with quarters.

I almost got some dimes yesterday too because I know my chances of finding silver are so much better but dimes make me so nervous to dump because I've had bad luck with them in the machines before and cwr dimes r the most common rolls to be short too. I prefer searching nickels myself. I've had pretty good luck with nickels and for me they're fun to search so I think I'll probably just stick with halves and nickels.

H$H!

Last edited:

drewbaccas

Mar 8, 2013
Couldn't get anything but shiny 2013 dime boxes from my pick up bank today they had several boxes of quarters but I chose not to get any coins. That's what I think of quarters. Why even bother!

Will45

Sep 1, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get more silver from war nickels than i do dimes and quarters.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still running dimes for the year at 1.6 per box; last weeks numbers were 2.6/box over 12-boxes checked. I'm sticking with dimes cuz it only takes 2-dimes to equal approx 1-(40%)half. That being said with the 32 dimes found last week = 16(40%) halves over 12 boxes =1.3 half per box. I could not take the long run of Skunks that some of you guys have had.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Try 1 per 400 rolls... if you are lucky.

That's pretty close; this year I've gone through $11,140 in quarters, and have found exactly 3 silver quarters. That's an average of 1 per 371.3 rolls. previous years the findings were so low I didn't even keep track...

Last edited:

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
I do 1000 bags every now and then. The best i ever had was 158, the second best was 86 . But this is rare. I did a bag last week and found 2. Which I consider to be real good. I do them when I cant get dimes. HH

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to see how bad quarters really are, I did 11 boxes this December (last one finished tonight). Result - 4 silvers Georges and a boatload of non-silver canadians

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to see how bad quarters really are, I did 11 boxes this December (last one finished tonight). Result - 4 silvers Georges and a boatload of non-silver canadians
wow.....maybe I'll try dimes or go back to the usual cents and nickels

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread