Copper cents storage, weighing, selling, etc!

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, I have been stock piling copper cents for quite awhile now and just decided its time for me to get rid of a portion of it if possible to move my investment over to physical silver (gotta love the price!) I am guessing I have somewhere between $700-$1000 FV of copper in all. I just started culling the wheaties and this is going to take a bit it seems.

I have put up some listings on Ebay and have some bites but dont currently have a solid way of weighing/measuring before I ship out. I have a normal scale you would use to weigh a person but its only accurate to .2 lbs. I also have a food scale that is not digital :( and varies within 1oz per each time I weigh stuff in there. I have so far hand counted two separate bags of $10 FV as a type of test weight and have been comparing it with what the base metal calculator at coinflation.com says the weight should be for that dollar amount.

How would you guys recommend getting the right measurement prior to heading down to the post office?

Also, anyone have recommendations as to what I should ship the coins in as far as bags go and any tips on how to package this appropriately? I will likely be using the standard medium flat rate USPS box.

All of your input is appreciated...thank you!

Upvote 0

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Weigh the bags. 68lbs= 100 f.v. Simple as that. Ship it in a medium flat rate box. Goodluck

OP
OP
S

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alrighty fellas, thank you for the tips! Any recommendations on securing the flat rate box? I hear its a good idea to secure the edges with tape so it doesn't break open. Would packaging tape work fine or should I go with duct tape?

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Cover the whole thing in cheap tape. Then use a couple pieces of strapping tape on the bottom and top flaps.

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ship them in a priority mail envelope
It's only six buck
Not bad.
Those pennies ate heavy. Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread