Bag buying question - fee?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I found a bank recently that has a coin counter in the lobby. I asked if I could buy the bag and she said sure, when it's full. There's currently $600 in the bag. They charge a fee to use the machine. I don't believe there is any dumping going on because she said they 'never' change the halves bag. Obviously I can pump $400 into the machine and pay the % fee or I can hold tight and wait for the bag to fill up. My question is this, how much fee would you be willing to eat to get the $600 in the bag, sight unseen?

Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fill and buy that bag. If it is not a dump location for someone, it will be loaded. Guaranteed.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on the amount of the fee, and how much of a gambling mood I was in.

Uncle Ben

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give them your number and tell them to call you when it's full....if they will do that and hold it for you then I would be patient and wait for it to fill up.....or at least get more full. Most crh's won't pay a fee to dump so it's likely being filled by kids and wives....pissed wives of CRH's getting even for something ....... Check your stacks y'all.... You might be short!

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, how much is in the bag....if I had to only drop a hundred or two I would go up to say 6%. A lot of counters can give the teller a running total if you ask them to do it. Try it and see what they say. Around my parts they will open the counter so I can see what they have. If they won't, drop in an Ike if you have one. They will have to open it to remove and you can catch a peek at the bag.
HH!
BRChiver

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give them your number and tell them to call you when it's full....if they will do that and hold it for you then I would be patient and wait for it to fill up.....or at least get more full. Most crh's won't pay a fee to dump so it's likely being filled by kids and wives....pissed wives of CRH's getting even for something ....... Check your stacks y'all.... You might be short!

That's too funny but also so true! That's probably where a lot of our finds come from!
HH!
BRChiver

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
There's $600 in the bag and it would cost me $32 to fill it up. It's clearly not a CRH dumping grounds so it's likely wives and children as Uncle Ben states. I did give her my number and she agreed to call me when it's full. I plan on checking in regularly. For $32 I need to find basically 10 40%ers in $600 to break even. I'm going to try and wait it out. Once it get to ~$10 fee I'll probably scoop it up. Thanks for the feedback. I optimistically hope that it's loaded which makes me irresponsible for waiting. But I'm a realist and would ever pay $30 for a box so I'm trying to be smart as well.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There's $600 in the bag and it would cost me $32 to fill it up. It's clearly not a CRH dumping grounds so it's likely wives and children as Uncle Ben states. I did give her my number and she agreed to call me when it's full. I plan on checking in regularly. For $32 I need to find basically 10 40%ers in $600 to break even. I'm going to try and wait it out. Once it get to ~$10 fee I'll probably scoop it up. Thanks for the feedback. I optimistically hope that it's loaded which makes me irresponsible for waiting. But I'm a realist and would ever pay $30 for a box so I'm trying to be smart as well.

I would wait it out too. My cousin-in-law works at a CU I'm a member of and she lets me know when their bag fills up. I was hoping their half bag would be loaded (it took almost 8-10 months to fill) and I got skunked except for a proof, an 87-D, and a 2009-D NIFC. They also charge a fee (like 8-10%) for members to use the coin counter.

I would still be optimistic, but I wouldn't pay a fee to fill the bag the rest of the way (unless it was $10 or less). Good luck!

- DS

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd put the rest of the coins in fill it up and get it before they change their mind. The bank manager changing her mind happened to me.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Twitch, twitch twitch. You are approaching this the wrong way.

You should do the following first:

1. Check the bank's website for information on coin counting machine fees
1b. If that fails, ask in person about it.
2. Look and see what accounts get discounts or free access
3. See if you are able to open an one of these accounts with free access.
4. See if your kids and or family member(s) are eligible to open a free access account if you do not qualify.
5. See if you can persuade the tellers to let you use it for free. at one of the banks I use, the tellers let me use their (now fee-ed) machine, free of charge.

Instead of weighing the cost and benefits look into this. if this fails, then you look at the cost and benefits of using a fee. dawg, i had faith in you as a member, I'm disappointed in you that this had not already occurred to you. good luck.

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twitch-

You may also want to check to see if this machine rejects silver coinage first so it may be time for a silver dime test.
No point in buying a bag & pay the fee if it does.
(note: some machines of the same model rejected & other accepted them).

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twitch- You may also want to check to see if this machine rejects silver coinage first so it may be time for a silver dime test. No point in buying a bag & pay the fee if it does. (note: some machines of the same model rejected & other accepted them).

If it rejects a silver dime that does not mean anything. I have found silver rejects in machines and also saw plenty of silver coins in the bags on the same machine. If you find a silver coin in a reject slot chances are the bags on the machine have a good amount of silver in them. It wasn't just that one coin being rejected.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Fill and buy that bag. If it is not a dump location for someone, it will be loaded. Guaranteed.

Defineitly no guarantees in this game. It may very well have some keepeers it it, but i have had a lot of old bags that took a long time to fillup (lots of lint, trash, tokens etc) that gave up 1 or two.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Loaded? Guaranteed? Lol

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Machines are not perfect. I got a mint wrapped roll of pennies and there was a dime inside.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
god dang it, past couple of post go back up and read what I said. No risk at all, he goes in and does it for free if'n he listened to me. Free = Silver if there is any Free = No loss. Always check website.

I have yet to see a SINGE BANK, that does not offer free coin machine access. Some have free access to US veterans, some have free access to kids, "Golden account holders", new members.....JUST LOOK AT THE TERMS.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
god dang it, past couple of post go back up and read what I said. No risk at all, he goes in and does it for free if'n he listened to me. Free = Silver if there is any Free = No loss. Always check website. I have yet to see a SINGE BANK, that does not offer free coin machine access. Some have free access to US veterans, some have free access to kids, "Golden account holders", new members.....JUST LOOK AT THE TERMS.
homie I get to use my "dope rappas access" to get free dumps

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

in the south when she says she will call she wont. I have had tellers tell me they will call before they send dimes off.Three times I missed it 2 times i didnt when i asked for them. Think of it, all the gas driving around town dumping. Go ahead. Trust me some folks will get cash straped and hit the banks soon with the coins. BUY IT NOW before it is too late.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loaded? Guaranteed? Lol

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Yup. Guaranteed. 100% of stale bags that I've searched have been truely loaded.
If OP reports anything other than loaded, then you can Lol. Until then, save it Russ.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread