My "well" ran dry!

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently started CRHing half dollars. I live in a relatively small town, and I've been doing an average of 2 boxes/week for about 8 weeks (~16 total boxes). I tried ordering more boxes this week, and the vault managers at three branch offices of the same bank told me they could not get half dollars right now because their "supplier" was out of them. One of them told me I should check back in a month or so. Another told me they had been told the previous week by their supplier they would not be able to get halves for awhile, so the bank branch ordered one box (I snagged this box and got my first 1987-p, and 1987-D:icon_thumleft:, but nothing else).

I had no idea the supply of halves in my area was so limited. I know for a fact I am not the only CRHer in my town, but I am confident the total # of CRHers could be counted on only one hand.

Anyone else heard the same from their bank? If so, what did you do about it?

I went ahead and opened an account at the other "big" bank here in town in hopes they use a separate coin supplier. I'll know Tue whether or not my new bank can order boxes of halves, so, I am waiting with bated breath...:unhappysmiley:

Upvote 0

danya

Feb 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not had such an experience, but after all, I have only ordered 5 or so boxes in my lifetime. :tongue3:

In any case, are there any smaller banks in your area? I would probably assume that smaller banks may be better in terms of CRH Boxes, though I may be wrong.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It is most likely a fabricated lie, as most bank tellers are lazy and don't like to be bothered with this chore. It is unfortunate you live in a small town, as you can only "move onto the next one" so many times before you run out of options. Try another bank, good luck.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask who the supplier is, tell them you want to call and speak to them directly to find out when they will have them. Catch them in their lie!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
In any case, are there any smaller banks in your area? I would probably assume that smaller banks may be better in terms of CRH Boxes, though I may be wrong.

Not necessarily, the smaller banks are usually better with CWR, but not necessarily with boxes, since they may have to bay for each box.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy all the halves you can, drive them well out of your area to the 2nd next largest city away from the closest Brinks, Loomis, etc.... Then keep buttering up your tellers with some homemade cookies and such etc to order you more(don't be pushy, just nice and sweet to them), maybe a good way to keep getting a fresh supply from the fed or prompt the coin delivery company or banks to scrounge up from other sources, ie bags sitting gathering dust for years somewhere )

OP
OP
bertmaster2000

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is most likely a fabricated lie, as most bank tellers are lazy and don't like to be bothered with this chore. It is unfortunate you live in a small town, as you can only "move onto the next one" so many times before you run out of options. Try another bank, good luck.

I wanted to follow-up on this thread. I appreciated the input from all of you. I ended up opening an account at the only other main bank in town and looked through the half dollars they had access to in their coin vault.

I am in a unique situation. There are literally no boxes or bags of half dollars at either of the two coin vaults in my town. There are no other towns from which the two main banks could draw from because I live in Alaska. Here in Alaska, we are served by San Francisco District 12 via Seattle. Transportation costs from Seattle to Alaska are too high to warrant the Fed sending more half dollars to Alaska than already circulate in Alaska. The rate at which older half dollars may be deposited in banks and cu's here is very low because the population is low, so a silver half dollar here is a true rarity.

My "well' has literally run dry and will stay dry.

On the bright side, my primary objective when I started looking through half dollars about 3 months ago was to collect complete collections of circulated Kennedy half dollars for each of my 3 kids. Thanks to Omega here in TNet, I was able to get the older, silver coins I needed, and have ALMOST completed the collections (thanks again Omega!). I plan to complete the collections during my vacations outside Alaska in the future.

Happy Hunting everyone :occasion14:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
if you get desperate for half dollars i can send you my searched boxes for face value and you pay the shipping?theres been quite a few nifc's lately but i dont bother with them.i did'nt know Alaska was considered a united state?cause its up there all by its lonesome.oh well.WELCOME TO TREASURENET !!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you get desperate for half dollars i can send you my searched boxes for face value and you pay the shipping?theres been quite a few nifc's lately but i dont bother with them.i did'nt know Alaska was considered a united state?cause its up there all by its lonesome.oh well.WELCOME TO TREASURENET !!

You didn't know Alaska was part of the United States?

OP
OP
bertmaster2000

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nomad, no thanks on your offer to pay the cost of shipping your searched boxes to Alaska, heh heh. :laughing7:

Alaska is a unique state in the good old US of A. Living here has some drawbacks like living anywhere else in the US.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread