First coin show Saturday

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Saturday I went to my first coin show and it was wonderful. Met a lot of nice people and didn't get to stay as long as I wanted, but had a wonderful time. This was in Perry, Ga at the Ga. National Fair area and I never saw so much gold and silver. Saw some old gold pocket watches, stamps, meteorites, fossils, coin supplies, jewelry. Saw some silver dollars from Carson City Mint, but no dimes. Saw several 1858 flying eagle cents, but no 1856 or 1857. One vendor said he sold the only 1856 flying eagle cent he had for $15,000 a few weeks or months ago. Indian heads, large cents, half dimes, seated, barber and mercury dimes and other coins and foreign coins. I didn't know the gold dollar coins were so small. They looked bigger in my red book & blue book. They could pass right thru the holes in my scoop. While it's so cold and I can't do any metal detecting, I plan to modify my scoop with some 1/4 inch hardware cloth. Been planning to do it, but will make the time to do it now. I met two people who metal detected at the show, but had to leave early because something I ate at the show made me sick. The half dimes were small, also and I saw some half-cents. There is a larger show in Atlanta in the last week of February and first week of March and the guy at the numismatic booth said they would have some educational classes and I hope I can make it. 60 years old and enjoying myself with my first coin show and hope to visit many more. I wish I had taken my 2 detectors with me. I asked some of the vendors if they would have let me scanned some of the gold coins and several said, heck yeah. Real nice people.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great time!! Those shows are great to get a look at all the cool coins one might find with a detector some day. I wouldn't bother taking a detector to scan gold coins though. They all basically sound and/or VID the same as lead or aluminum trash on any detector out there, so it isn't going to help you recognize a gold coin signal. If you want to find gold of any kind you have to grin and bear it, and dig those trash signals. Probably 99.9% of the time it will be trash, but that .1% could well be a gold target.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I was going to give you all kinds of grief for not MD'ing in Georgia because it was "too cold", but then I looked at the weather channel...

Find yourself a good coin club nearby if you haven't already

OP
OP
F

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found quite a few gold rings and other jewelry since November 2012 when I started water hunting , but just think the gold composition would be different with coins than jewelry and all the other metal alloys in them. It's supposed to warm up slightly tomorrow and be near 70 Saturday and I hope to hit the water in my chest waders. HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread