I need a dump

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I just rolled up over $3K in halves. I need to find a better dump situation. Can't find a machine or preferably a bag dump. This hand rollin' is not enjoyable. Have scored 16 40%ers, 1 '64 and 1 '52-D, along with 5 proofs, ~60 NIFC's and a Panamanian half.

I have a box of nickels that have been sitting around for weeks because I don't want to roll them and I don't have a bag or machine.

Upvote 0

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to say I feel for you, but out here on the Left Coast there are next to no machines at all, and even fewer banks that will accept bags. We roll everything by hand, and boy, are our fingers tired!

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel for you Twitch, I've been there when I lost a great dump bank. Even if it takes awhile, persistence pays off. You will find a bank that will consider bags.
HH!
BRChiver

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel bad for all of you out there who have to re-roll, any denom...

Atleast you did good on the silver!

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw them all in a bag and pay your mortgage, rent, car payment, something with them. Say welp... here is your money... then it's their problem =)

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I'm just whining. I don't mind rolling halves that much, but roll dumping halves is a pain in the #$%. I can't stand rolling the other denominations but they're easy to dump. As long as the other denominations are CWR it's easy to just cram 'em back in there. But penny / nickel dime MWR's are off the list for me.

Out of curiosity - for those who roll dump, do you send them back in the same box they came in? I never used to do that, but not having bag or machine dumps I'm low on options.

Also I can understand now why people re-use the MWR wrappers for halves - it's certainly easier. I haven't resorted to that yet, but I can see it on the horizon.

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it is Mav that reuses cube boxes but turns them inside out to avoid walking with HUGE $500 on sides..... I am lucky enough to have coinlok bags but remember the times i had to re-roll and dump.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, ill be honest. If i had to hand reroll every week, this would stop being a hobby extremely quick for me

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I can re-roll a roll of cwr dimes in under 3 seconds. The way I dump is faster than using a machine.

Same with cwr halves.

Last edited:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of curiosity - for those who roll dump, do you send them back in the same box they came in? I never used to do that, but not having bag or machine dumps I'm low on options.

Also I can understand now why people re-use the MWR wrappers for halves - it's certainly easier. I haven't resorted to that yet, but I can see it on the horizon.

I do; half the time they want the box back, and half the time they end up back in the trunk of my car, haha.

For any denomination, I just crack open the roll (nickels and cents), dump them out on a table, roll up the coins, then stick them back in the box and go row by row. Halves, dimes, and quarters get torn open from the side, rim check, then (dimes only) shoved into a wrapper; halves and quarters get looked over on the face to check for proofs, NIFCs, and dirty silver rims.

Good luck!

- DS

PennyRoll

Mar 29, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Do most people who do halves not 're-roll your rolls? I've seen quite a few that don't and a lot that coinstar or something. What's so bad about wrapping halves? There's not that many in a roll and if you lose percentage, you lose a lot of money.. why not take the 10 minutes to 're-roll a box?
I get it if you're not wanting to 're-roll 3ks worth, but I feel like you should get into re-rolling as you go with fillers for halves for that much..

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do most people who do halves not 're-roll your rolls? I've seen quite a few that don't and a lot that coinstar or something. What's so bad about wrapping halves? There's not that many in a roll and if you lose percentage, you lose a lot of money.. why not take the 10 minutes to 're-roll a box?
I get it if you're not wanting to 're-roll 3ks worth, but I feel like you should get into re-rolling as you go with fillers for halves for that much..

Clearly you have not heard of FREE coin counters.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if I would be doing the volume I do if I had to reroll, I know how you feel even though I've never rolled up my change..
like others have said, persistence pays off! I know that is a fact.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Out here there are no free coin machines. I do about 2 grand a week in halves and I rotate turning them in to the banks that want them in bags they supply me to only taking them in rolls and boxed. It is much faster to split the roll, inspect and then dump into a bag as opposed to peeling the roll, sliding out the coins, inspecting then re-rolling using the same roller. But by rotating banks they are not overloaded and seem to be fine with seeing me every other week. The vault teller at the bank that gives me the bags normally hands me about 15 bags when I say I'm running low. I've tried to get the other bank to accept bags and they say absolutely no. Rolled only and in boxes, not loose, so to keep them happy I do as they request.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Out here there are no free coin machines. I do about 2 grand a week in halves and I rotate turning them in to the banks that want them in bags they supply me to only taking them in rolls and boxed. It is much faster to split the roll, inspect and then dump into a bag as opposed to peeling the roll, sliding out the coins, inspecting then re-rolling using the same roller. But by rotating banks they are not overloaded and seem to be fine with seeing me every other week. The vault teller at the bank that gives me the bags normally hands me about 15 bags when I say I'm running low. I've tried to get the other bank to accept bags and they say absolutely no. Rolled only and in boxes, not loose, so to keep them happy I do as they request.
That's similar to what I do with halves. Slit the roll, inspect, place roll back into box, turn entire box back to the vault. The tellers then later unwrap each roll, and dump loose halves into coinloks to be sent out.

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is nothing worse than going to a bank and picking up a "rerolled" box. Rerolling ruins the hobby for others..

Take the time to find a bank that doesnt charge fees to take coin! Most banks have counters in the back. It will save you lots of time rerolling.

Try talking to the manager or tell them you want to open an account but you need to have coin counting fees waived.. You never know until you ask..

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
There is nothing worse than going to a bank and picking up a "rerolled" box. Rerolling ruins the hobby for others..

Take the time to find a bank that doesnt charge fees to take coin! Most banks have counters in the back. It will save you lots of time rerolling.

Try talking to the manager or tell them you want to open an account but you need to have coin counting fees waived.. You never know until you ask..
There are at least 50 banks in my town. I have been inside almost every one. Of those 50 banks, maybe 3 or 4 have a gen-u-wine coin counter. Kinda narrows down the dumping options here.

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing worse than going to a bank and picking up a "rerolled" box. Rerolling ruins the hobby for others.. Take the time to find a bank that doesnt charge fees to take coin! Most banks have counters in the back. It will save you lots of time rerolling. Try talking to the manager or tell them you want to open an account but you need to have coin counting fees waived.. You never know until you ask..
do national banks like chase or bofa have counters

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How true!
I received two boxes of "rerolls" (My own that I roll in non-MRWs) Friday each from a different bank. What a let down when you get home, open a box and see that. I guess Brinks is getting no less lazy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread