Sorting mess...how do you sort and keep organized?

RocknRoll

Apr 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have been CRH for about 1 year.....really like the hobby but I tend to have messes from it. I am working on a man cave where I can set up a station for my coins, books, boxes, bins, buckets, Ryedale.

Just curious.....what are some best practices out there for sorting and organizing? I sort cents, nickels, and halves. I have a pretty large collection of all coins ( US, Canada,etc) which I also buy.

I use a bolt sorter for sorting. I have about 5 or 6 of them labelled 00 to 99. That way I can sort anything by year. Then I just take the year and can break it down by P, S, D.

I used to use small clear plastic cups too. Also the plastic gum containers work well too.

What else do y'all use?

Thanks!

image-2486011867.jpg

Upvote 0

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Prescription bottles. Pull off the prescription, mark them with masking tape, and you're good to go.

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an old garage hardware organizer, kind of like this one. mOLKbsowsA7PR3pPUJi5X5A.jpg

I use 1x2.5 white self-stick address labels to label each drawer. this works pretty well for me so far. When a drawer fills up (say, "wheat pennies 1950-58") I just roll up some of whatever's in there to make more space.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few of those cardboard divider boxes from Wizard Coin, with the partitions for the rolls of coins. I have plastic tubes and paper rolls in them. Exact fit, color coded, works for me.

ERobertson

Dec 9, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM V

GARRETT Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Former Teller previously posted, I use Prescription bottles.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When I sort my cents, I use a low profile box that has dividers in (something like you would find at Walgreens that contained perfumes etc in the case to avoid breakage, then put in each hole a 8-oz plastic cup). When each cup fills to about half then I put them in paper rolls. Works for me.

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to buy some cent tubes to store some of my wheat cents and a coin dealer told me I should get nickel tubes because the cents get stuck in cent tubes. Is this true or is it ok to use cent tubes? I am wanting to be sure before I buy some. Happy hunting!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I was going to buy some cent tubes to store some of my wheat cents and a coin dealer told me I should get nickel tubes because the cents get stuck in cent tubes. Is this true or is it ok to use cent tubes? I am wanting to be sure before I buy some. Happy hunting!

I don't think I have any cent tubes, just nickel and half tubes. But maybe some of the cent tubes made by some companies do have a snug fit. It probably depends a little on the manufacturer as to exactly how the tubes r made. Tubes r probably like customer paper wrappers.....sometimes you'll get wrappers that fit so snug around the coins that's its difficult to get the coins out and with other wrappers the coins just slide right out when u open them. But if u do get nickel tubes u could use them for both cents and nickels if u want. Or if u r going to buy them at a coin shop u could always ask to try one of the tubes out before u buy.

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I have any cent tubes, just nickel and half tubes. But maybe some of the cent tubes made by some companies do have a snug fit. It probably depends a little on the manufacturer as to exactly how the tubes r made. Tubes r probably like customer paper wrappers.....sometimes you'll get wrappers that fit so snug around the coins that's its difficult to get the coins out and with other wrappers the coins just slide right out when u open them. But if u do get nickel tubes u could use them for both cents and nickels if u want. Or if u r going to buy them at a coin shop u could always ask to try one of the tubes out before u buy.

Thanks! I think I will get nickel tubes just to be safe. I have been putting it off, but I have wheat cents and war nickels everywhere and I need to tidy up. Happy hunting!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nickel tubes can serve both, however, cent tubes hold 50 for a full roll, whereas a roll of nickels only 40 per roll ( maybe a few more if cents).

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an observation - but every coin store I have ever been to, no matter how organized and clean they are seems to have coins all over the place. stuff that needs to be cleaned, stuff that needs to be sorted, stuff that needs to be researched, stuff that needs to be carded, stuff that needs to be priced, stuff that needs to be shipped out, stuff that needs to be put away, stuff that you arent exactly sure what to do with quite yet etc etc etc. I buy collections and I now have 2 rooms full of coins including my living room which may be the demise of my marriage!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Just an observation - but every coin store I have ever been to, no matter how organized and clean they are seems to have coins all over the place. stuff that needs to be cleaned, stuff that needs to be sorted, stuff that needs to be researched, stuff that needs to be carded, stuff that needs to be priced, stuff that needs to be shipped out, stuff that needs to be put away, stuff that you arent exactly sure what to do with quite yet etc etc etc. I buy collections and I now have 2 rooms full of coins including my living room which may be the demise of my marriage!

Lol, I can relate to what you are saying Joe. I was just at a coin shop yesterday and that's exactly the way the place seemed to me too - they seem to have coins everywhere. And although I'm not married, my house is pretty much the same way lately. So maybe its a good thing I'm not married, or maybe part of the reason why I'm not lol. So I'm sure not in a position to be giving other people advise on how to stay organized lol.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My cousin-in-law had someone bring in some coin tubes and she saved then for me; I got about 30 quarter size tubes, and I store everything but halves and dollar coins in them. Free is good enough for me. :)

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Prescription bottles. Pull off the prescription, mark them with masking tape, and you're good to go.

dawgs, if you wanna do what FormerTeller is suggestiong: you need to tell your doctor that you are a coin-roll hunter, and he will give you an "Rx to Roll". doctors go through alot of school so most ain't stupid, they know what CRH'n is if you talk to them about it.

EDIT: if anyone is wondering why I am legitimately browsing t-net, well it's cause the topic interests me as I have a hard time storing all my finds. If it was any-other-thread, i wouldn't o'clicked. I not out of my haitus.

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
id buy the white square ones ii have the cent ones they work like a charm. I dropped a clear on once and it cracked. Also the square ones are a lot easier to take off the lid it doesn't get stuck like the screw one ones

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..I used to use the Coin tubes at first..but after a few years of it...I moved on to sealable 2 1/2 gallon buckets. I only store my wheats and nickels that way. My silver is well put up.

My Collection I keep in Large Binders in 2x2s So i can view it whenever i want (Usally 4 times a week) lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread