Not a dream box, nor Mother Load, but OK

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up a bank bag of dimes on Wed 2/19, for $500., eqiv to 2-boxes. This is the fourth bag I was able to get in the last 4-5 months. This was part of my regular pickups with several other dime boxes. Stopping for traffic lights on the way home, and glancing down thru the plastic bag, I could not see any white rims. Later that evening while watching the Olympics, opened it and started searching. After several several small handfuls, pulled out the first AG., a 1941-Canadian, then over the coarse of a few hours (since I date check all my coins) was able to snag 12-Rosie's, 1-Merc, and the 1-Canadian, for 14-AG dimes. Ironically, I also save all 2009 P&D dimes, (only becuz of their low minatages as potential semi-key sleepers) of which only pulled 16 out of the bag. Could the 2009's become the next hot item, besides AG? Getting back to the 14 AG dimes, was more than I had expected. Previous bags only produced 2-4 per bag. Needless to say I was quite shocked to get that many. Was not a Dream Box, or a Dream Roll, but "let's call it a mini-mother load". A Mother Load would have been at least 100+, to count as a collection dump. Maybe another time, for now I'm happy with what I got.

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd sure say 14 silver from one bag is a nice score! :thumbsup:

Btw, just curious, do u ever have problems getting shorted by any significant amount with bags?

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd sure say 14 silver from one bag is a nice score! :thumbsup:

Btw, just curious, do u ever have problems getting shorted by any significant amount with bags?

I know that when I take this $500 back to my dump bank it should be: $500 - less any dimes removed as in this case 30 (14 Rosie's + 16 [2009's]) =. $497., if less than that it's from dimes that get calibrated as a penny instead. Since I date check all coins, I usually pull out bent coins and use as spending pocket change. Net shortages usually are just a few dimes. Most times they are dead on the mark.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Could the 2009's become the next hot item said:
Congrats on the 14 Ag dimes, very cool!

Re: 2009 dime
Many people keep therm, I don't see the point. The mintage for the P & D is over 40 million each!
What base metal, nonerror coin has a mintage that high and any significant value over face?
I get that the relative mintage is low compared to dimes minted in the last 50 years, but with so many out there, why would I pay a premium when I can find my own?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread