BuffaloBoy: is this an error, or is it post-mint damage? with pictures.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I've been hitting nickels heavily lately and recently came across this nickel. I am pretty sure it is PMD (Post-mint damage); however, I do have a small level of uncertainty. I don't want to toss back a lamination error or something along those lines. Thanks for looking, HH BuffaloBoy

lamination error nickel reverse1.jpg
lamination error nickel obverse1.jpg

Attachments

• 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 099.jpg
    099.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is really hard to tell anything about the coin due to the small pics but it could be a Lamination Error or the coin was Struck Thru something when being minted. Can you provide a better closeup pic of the coin?

Frank

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the best I can do, I edited the photo for a closer image, I hope it helps! Thanks,
BuffaloBoy
It is really hard to tell anything about the coin due to the small pics but it could be a Lamination Error or the coin was Struck Thru something when being minted. Can you provide a better closeup pic of the coin? Frank

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it look like any of the area in speculation is on the rim of the coin. I think a lamination would not show on the rim. Pmd would effect the rim

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rim looks perfectly normal when compared to other nickels.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have quite a few people I can trust, but my local coin dealer isn't one of them... haha :P

:coffee2: If they are knowledgeable about this than by all means go to them. I only suggested the local lcd because they may have the knowledge to advise you. I can't wait to see what you find out. Good luck.

HH
Gary

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'll ask some folks, I am 90% sure it's post-mint damage, but I am keeping it anyway because it cost me a nickel.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'll ask some folks, I am 90% sure it's post-mint damage, but I am keeping it anyway because it cost me a nickel.

Go to a the coin dude pull it out watch his face. Unless he has a goodpoker face it'll tell if its legit or not

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the best I can do, I edited the photo for a closer image, I hope it helps! Thanks,
BuffaloBoy

I copied and pasted the pic of the Obverse to my' PC, blew the pic up and am sorry to say that it is damage. From the appearance, it looks as if it was laying face down and partially on a stone or piece or metal on the road and was run over by a car or truck.

Frank

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate the input! I'll toss it into the PMD pile :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread