93 KB · Views: 169
Upvote 0

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What, no morgans?

haha, I wish. A couple months ago I spent a solid three weeks trying to figure out how to order bags of Ikes. I had numbers for the coin vaults at the three closest Fed Coin Vaults, the local Garda coin vault direct number and the numbers for the vault tellers at four of my order banks. I couldn't get the job done. I haven't totally given up because I still think it is possible, but it is going to require some serious persistence.

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
haha, I wish. A couple months ago I spent a solid three weeks trying to figure out how to order bags of Ikes. I had numbers for the coin vaults at the three closest Fed Coin Vaults, the local Garda coin vault direct number and the numbers for the vault tellers at four of my order banks. I couldn't get the job done. I haven't totally given up because I still think it is possible, but it is going to require some serious persistence.
Well, people on here have done it. That's quite a pile of silver you have there. You must do some serious volume. Congrats.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, people on here have done it. That's quite a pile of silver you have there. You must do some serious volume. Congrats.

To be fair: I actually don't search nickels. I was dumping today and there were a couple junkies dumping a bunch of silver war nickels into the machine. I talked them into selling me some mixed bags (silver and no silver) for $30. I wasn't sure if it was a good deal or not at the time but after adding it all up I think I did ok. The bags had 5 silver roosies, 41 war nickels, a buffalo nickel, plus $10 fv of pre-1960 nickels all for $30. So that portion of the pile wasn't technically CRH finds.

As for the rest, I searched my usual 16 boxes of halves that gave up a total of 14 silvers. I found a lone 40% at another bank. The best score was two solid rolls of 40%'ers at a random bank this week. I searched two boxes of quarters and that produced the lone washington. For dimes, one box gave up 4 silvers and I had another 9+ skunk dime boxes. All in all it was a great week, but my boxes overall were pretty skunky, it was the random finds that were good.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Russell, how many 90% did you buy? For how much?

$30fv in 90% halves for $14.5X fv or $435

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
$30fv in 90% halves for $14.5X fv or $435

Do you know where I can get some at that price? That's really good!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know where I can get some at that price? That's really good!

Gotta be quick at the draw with these prices- I missed 3 other times to buy at spot or even less last week- searching several online classified sites

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ddf, I'm glad I don't live in your county. I've never heard of a county wide detecting ban. Last year was my first year detecting and I've yet to get out this year. I've yet to dig my first silver. Hope I break that streak soon. I find a decent amount of silver coin roll hunting, but I'd really like to dig up an old silver. HH

Yep Merc, county-wide...from what I hear from the old-timers, this area was kind of a "hot spot"..as Gen William T. Sherman was born in this town, and attracted a lot of detectorists..and a lot from not of this area...so you know the rest is..history..if you get my drift. I am trying to get into as many private spots, fields, schools, churches, etc. as possible. There is an unlimited amount of places to hunt if you are resourceful, so keep stacking! and get out and dig when you can. thx ddf

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Summary of this week's finds:
51x40%, 1xFranklin, 3x'64 Halves, 41xWar Nickels, 1xBuffalo Nickel, 9xSilver Roosevelts, 1xSilver Washington

you must've gone through a ridiculous amount of nickel boxes! either that you you socred some good CWRs. I'm going with CWRS, if you did 40 boxes of nickels you'd have found more buffs

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Summary of this week's finds:
51x40%, 1xFranklin, 3x'64 Halves, 41xWar Nickels, 1xBuffalo Nickel, 9xSilver Roosevelts, 1xSilver Washington

Crap that's one fine week of hunting!

kawika18

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 40% halves in one box and 3 90% dimes in one box. Skunks in the quarter and nickel boxes.

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well another weeks hunting has come to an end and I'm right in my normal 5 to 20 silver range. This week I found 3 40% out of ten boxes, seven rosies out of three boxes and $450 in cwr, and two war nicks plus 1 buff out of three boxes. 12 silvers for the stack. In the past three weeks I've found 42 rosies and zero mercs. I think I'm overdue.

Attachments

• image-525424139.jpg
    image-525424139.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 96

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Well another weeks hunting has come to an end and I'm right in my normal 5 to 20 silver range. This week I found 3 40% out of ten boxes, seven rosies out of three boxes and $450 in cwr, and two war nicks plus 1 buff out of three boxes. 12 silvers for the stack. In the past three weeks I've found 42 rosies and zero mercs. I think I'm overdue.

Looks like u had another good week, esp with the dimes. The highlight of my week was a '35S Walker I found on Monday. I also found 3 40% halves, 3 war nickels & just a few minutes ago I found a '36S buffalo in my wknd nickel box. I also finally found my 100th silver keeper of the year this week in some nickel rolls I bought on tax day. I still have some more nickel rolls to search so hopefully I can find something else good to finish off the week.

Good luck next week, if u don't find a merc maybe you'll find 8 Rosies or more to give u a full roll of dimes from the last month of hunting - or maybe you'll find both. Just never know with this hobby.

H$H!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like u had another good week, esp with the dimes. The highlight of my week was a '35S Walker I found on Monday. I also found 3 40% halves, 3 war nickels & just a few minutes ago I found a '36S buffalo in my wknd nickel box. I also finally found my 100th silver keeper of the year this week in some nickel rolls I bought on tax day. I still have some more nickel rolls to search so hopefully I can find something else good to finish off the week. Good luck next week, if u don't find a merc maybe you'll find 8 Rosies or more to give u a full roll of dimes from the last month of hunting - or maybe you'll find both. Just never know with this hobby. H$H!

Walkers are great. I've only found two. Yes, I'd be happy to get 8 more rosiess next week. Good luck to you also silverface. Hope those nickels are good to you.
HH

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, no mercs last week but I did end up with 10 rosies and a Canadian. Pretty good week.

Attachments

• image-4106542559.jpg
    image-4106542559.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally broke my merc drought. Couple silver rosies and clad proof Rosie. Clad balboa also.

Attachments

• image-25948454.jpg
    image-25948454.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 96

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Some nice finds, and congrats on the Merc. I had a real slow week for silver last week myself - just one war nickel. But I finally broke my near 2 1/2 week silver half drought with two 40% silver halves I found earlier today. It sure was nice finally seeing some silver again. :)

H$H!

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some nice finds, and congrats on the Merc. I had a real slow week for silver last week myself - just one war nickel. But I finally broke my near 2 1/2 week silver half drought with two 40% silver halves I found earlier today. It sure was nice finally seeing some silver again. :) H$H!

Thanks silverface. Glad you grabbed a couple 40's. I've got two this week also. 4 boxes coming Friday. Hope they aren't rerolled machine rolls again. Already got four boxes of those earlier this week.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks silverface. Glad you grabbed a couple 40's. I've got two this week also. 4 boxes coming Friday. Hope they aren't rerolled machine rolls again. Already got four boxes of those earlier this week.

Wow, four rerolled boxes? That doesn't sound like fun. Hope you have better luck with Friday's four boxes.

H$H!

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, four rerolled boxes? That doesn't sound like fun. Hope you have better luck with Friday's four boxes. H$H!

No kidding...your rewraps are like my side marked batches. Every roll has a thick sharpee mark down the edges. They are no fun to go through. Better luck next time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread